Forcing Cone Fouling

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Jones

Just wondered what people have found to e the best product for cleaning the forcing cones. Mine are awful to clean and I think it is mainly due to having overboared barrells as on my other guns the same cleaning works in less than half the time. I use a chamber brush on them and am aware of the cordless drill as a time reducer but is there anything better than napier cleaner or Kg9 CARBON REMOVER,

Mark

Why do you need to clean the forcing cones Mark? I mean providing they don't cause the chambers to rust, which they won't, then the very first couple of shots you take will be back to black !

Fibre wads and Beretta barrels are a pain. I use a chamber brush and if Napier doesn't shift the leading my last resort is WD40.

If I don't remove the lead from the cones the recoil is very different and more severe, strange but true.

Just wondered what people have found to e the best product for cleaning the forcing cones. Mine are awful to clean and I think it is mainly due to having overboared barrells as on my other guns the same cleaning works in less than half the time. I use a chamber brush on them and am aware of the cordless drill as a time reducer but is there anything better than napier cleaner or Kg9 CARBON REMOVER,

Mark
Bet you are using Eleys! Best way to 'clean' forcing cones is not to use them..

Eley bashing again eh Clever :.: get a miroku they love eleys :D

At a 50 bird shoot, I used just 5 eley cartridges last Wednesday, in one barrel. Took me ages to get the crap out. A blind man could have told you which barrel it was, just by the feel of the cleaning brush in the barrels..

I have to agree that as an Eley Olympic shooter the amount of plastic fouling is horrendous.

Years of rifle shooting and the associated religion of bore cleansing have left an ingrained aversion to dirty bores.

Take the following advice for the price of what it cost you and use it or lose it.

For Lead fouling or copper fouling I have always used Parker Hale 009 or if I want an ammonia rush, Butch's Bore Shine.

For plastic fouling good old WD40 or for stubborn crap Acetone.

But then whilst at work (thank God now a memory) the H&E dept., interfered and we were given M-Pro 7 which is non -toxic and very good.

But finally here is my personal choice as I now use WD40 & wire wool on a jag for plastic, Napier spray for barrel cleansing BUT the magic cleanser that I use and it does seem to be the best cleanser, protectant and good all round lube is Clensoil.

Push the dry crud out with toilet roll paper, Jag, Rag, and Clensoil, a good vigorous scrub, job done and very clean.

Clensoil does seem to be a very very good product.

Forcing cones can rust!

Polish them out.

Drill and bronze brush.

Simples

http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=4

I use that for the initial clean. Put it on with a mop, leave 15 mins, then brush it out, patch out and see what it looks like from there.

God aweful smell of ammonia, but does the trick on plastic fouling along with everything else.

Plastic fouling on overbored Beretta's seems to be quite common and happened on mine when I had one.

So here's another solution.

WD40 as a cleaner (not as a lubricant) and those green plastic pan scrubbers.

Cut a 50mm wide strip,soak the strip and the barrel in WD40.

Wrap the strip around a jag or an old bore brush and give it some grief.

It worked for me and others I have advised.

No the plastic scrubber will not damage your metal/chrome barrel.

Vic.

My 682e is over bored and I use Eley shells but can't say it takes me more than 3 minutes to shine the barrels. Dry bronze brush first, a squirt of whatever is handy which is usually Ligier or WD40, push through half a squashed kitchen paper, two if I want to see it come out clean instead of black. I would go as far as to say having owned several Laurona, Browning, Mirook, Beretta, Remington, Zoli I have yet to come across a single barrel that was a bugger to clean. Only ever owned one particular Mirook that had to be cleaned or the chambers rusted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have the same issue with eley shells and a dt10, at the midland game fair I got some Clenzoil, not sure if it's the same stuff

as Salopian refers too but it's good and gets rid of the crud without much scrubbing.

Jonz

Have not tried most of the so say bore cleaning gizmo's on the market in 30 years but this one does a good job, it is a spray/cleaner made by HILTI ? It was designed for cleaning and lubricating their cartridge firing nail guns.

as soon as I get home I give each barrel 3 squirts then the bronze bristle brush 5-6 times, stand barrels in gun cabinet. next time I want to use the gun I push one piece of kitchen towel down each barrel twice job done clean and shiny

this 300ml spray can (which will last over a year) can be purchased direct from HILTI on-line delivered to your door for aprx £20

when I owned a DT10 it did take a second application some times but whats 2 minutes on a gun worth £1,000's

I know it works in Winchesters - Beretta's - Browning's - Miroku's and Blaser's ............give it a go

Get a grip people,

Shoot the gun with whatever shells you can afford/have confidence in/like the colour of/have the deepest brass. If it has rained whilst shooting the gun, squirt WD40/Liegia/whatever is in the garage all over it, every nook and cranny. Run a brush of through the barrels, follow up with either kitchen roll or bog roll. Wipe all over with a rag of some description (old, well washed nappy is best). DON'T look down the barrel at this point (only do that prior to loading to check for obstructions). If you have a butler or a son just let them do all the above whilst you do something vaguely interesting!

If it was dry when you last shot just put the gun in the safe.

This somewhat cavalier approach to gun cleaning may have the effect of reducing the working life by a couple of weeks over an anticipated life of 20+ years. The only reason I can think of to indulge in the structured routines some appear to go to is if ones wife/partner/girlfriend/significant other is somehow turned on by the smell of your chosen gun oil and that's not very likely now is it!!

Mr Potter

Back