world FU at Megeve

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg is still going great guns, Harry has dipped a wee bit but still doing OK well done the lads !

Bonjour to you all. 

The layouts are enclosed to keep the sound in. The ground has previously had problems with noise so they have enclosed them as much as possible and fillled them with acoustic absorbing materials. Also keeps the cattle out :)

The ground is perched on the side of a hill and the terrain to the upper two layouts is certainly challenging, especially for some of the supervets and less stable in their feet. A minibus is shuttling the olds and infirm the 300 yards up the hill. 

Due to the hill hill location all the layouts have a big drop in front of the fosse, making it tricky for those that pick a blade of grass or a weed as their hold point. 

The weather up to yesterday afternoon has been beautiful but then we had torrential rain, thunder and lightning and a brief tornado which destroyed the retail tents Andy made the targets f...ink impossible. Muggins here had to shoot through it all and managed to drag out a 22. I even git a round of applause from the spectators outside the layout for second barrelling a nigh on impossible target :)  next highest score on that line was 19, followed by 16, 15, 14 and a 13. I'll post a video clip showing the conditions if Mr Frenchman emails the video later.

Major delays on D layout throughout the first two days meant that those unlucky to have D as their last round didn't get to shoot it until 7.45 to 8.15, at which point the light was very iffy. 

Few photos of the ground below

IMG_2104.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

Hi Greg great shooting I hope you carry it through to Sunday. It may be picturesque but the competition should not have been held there end of. I get the feeling that the whole debacle was in some major respect political. There are many more suitable and accommodating shooting grounds in France where this major competition could have been held.

Hi Greg great shooting I hope you carry it through to Sunday. It may be picturesque but the competition should not have been held there end of. I get the feeling that the whole debacle was in some major respect political. There are many more suitable and accommodating shooting grounds in France where this major competition could have been held.
Can't say I disagree with the comment about the suitability of the ground to hold the worlds but it very beautiful.

The white targets really stand out and of course do not contaminate the hillside with a sea of orange.

Megeve is also very beautiful but cor blimey, its expensive to eat and drink here. 7 euro for a bottle of beer  :eek:  taking the pi55 or what? And eating out !! Best bring a pair of kidneys.

last day tomorrow. Onwards and upwards

DT

Crashed and burned spectacularly on the last day. 'Gutted' doesn't begin to tell you how I feel.  :(

I hate this f***ing sport  :angry:

DT

Come, come, my good man!  Be of good cheer!  Just consider all the dullboringloathsome things you might have been doing otherwise and rejoice in your good fortune.  And you had an unforgettable time with your son!  How can that not have been a source of joy?

I envy you immensely.  Who GAF what the score was?

Come, come, my good man!  Be of good cheer!  Just consider all the dullboringloathsome things you might have been doing otherwise and rejoice in your good fortune.  And you had an unforgettable time with your son!  How can that not have been a source of joy?

I envy you immensely.  Who GAF what the score was?
Me!

Yes, Charlie, I did spend time with a great bunch of people, meeting new friends and catching up with some old acquaintances. Spending quality time with Harry is always enjoyable as well. But we all attend these events hoping we are able to shoot well and therefore be competitive. This was the case for the first three days but I was not able to maintain that form for last day, which is very annoying and disappointing and is something I have been guilty of on many occasions, whether it be a regular 100 target comp, a 200 target selection shoot or a major championship. I always seem to stick a sh*t score it at sometime.

i honestly went into the last day with high hopes of a 49 ex 50 or even a 50 straight but to come away with a 38 was very disappointing. No idea what I was doing differently to the previous three days but obviously I was not doing the same. I was obviously trying to 'make sure' which is the worst thing to do. Interestingly several of the team who had not shot to their potential in the previous days, posted their best scores on the last day including a few 50 straights.

i guess the only way to overcome it is to put yourself in a competitive position as often as possible and learn how to win. Take Abbey Ling. She had a nightmare week away from the ranges, stuff that would frazzle my brain but still managed to perform at a consistent high level on the range to win the World Ladies title. Amazing determination and an inspiration to us all.

DT

It is what shooting is all about Greg being consistent. You can look back on a good three days at least. It could have been the other way about then you really would have a gripe ! Some notable shooters had some mediocre scores along the way that sort of tells me that this event was not the norm. On to next years majors now I suppose, I am hoping there are some interesting places to shoot next year.

Yes, Charlie, I did spend time with a great bunch of people, meeting new friends and catching up with some old acquaintances. Spending quality time with Harry is always enjoyable as well. But we all attend these events hoping we are able to shoot well and therefore be competitive.
Not to be too dense, but as a non-professional what are the actual stakes in this aside from ego?  Fame?  Fortune?  Groupies?  I'll forego further speculating.

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHAHA - - I commend you on your honesty.  Not being Mr. Wonderful myself I was not in the win column that often.  But looking back I don't really seem to be able to separate the win times from the loss times in any real sense other than the trinkets that came with doing well.  The actual feeling one way or the other didn't seem to survive packing up the gear and going for eats.

I'm sure it is all quite different for folks whose career it is but as a life-long member of the Good Time Charlies Association, I for one just never got that worked up over it.

JMO of course and I know YMMV is hard in force  :cool:

and BTW, planning on the scores you want/need is the path to doom.  PROCESS NOT RESULT is where you let yourself be misdirected prolly.  Clearly one of the Trap Brolly Girls would have helped to direct your attention away from lusting for dead targets

So here are the conditions I and three other squads had to shoot their 4th line at the Worlds in Megeve.

what the video doesn't show is the thunder & lightning that was going on while we were shooting.

DT

View attachment IMG_0619.MOV

Spoken to a few shooters who even though they are French have been scathing of the whole event. The take home message is the event should never been held at that ground as there are far better grounds throughout France where there would be no need for all the short comings of this ground. Weather is out with control but having to shoot from chicken sheds and having to climb step hills to just reach the shooting stand where deemed to be unacceptable. It has to be said that most of the correspondents had shot Lonato in June so it was a tough act to follow. One shooter who I know very well and who has shot many majors throughout Europe when asked how he thought just said it was "lamentable" gasps in horror when he suggested that money had changed hands for the event to have been held there  :ph34r:  .

Latest posts

Back