Should a pair of brand new Briley Chokes look like this?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[newbie warning] After doing a lot of reading on here, I took the plunge to follow what seemed like strong support for Briley chokes, as there are pushed up radial ridges inside some of the ones which came with my second hand gun. I have just bought a pair and are less than impressed with the quality of a £100 piece of kit when a perfect OEM one is £40.

It would be unfair to discuss the sales channel at this point as I await their repsonse, but would you expect linear scratches down the bore (at the back end) of brand new chokes from such a marque? They don't picture that well but are deep scores and easily felt.

The start of the thread root is awaful on one of them too, respecting that they are titanium. Appreciate thoughts from regular Briley users/buyers as (as an engineer) this is not the quality I expected.

Attachments

• c5.jpg
    c5.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 3
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 2
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 2
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 1
  • C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 1
Hello Jifen, (also an Engineer) I too would not be happy with the quality of these chokes, especially for that price. I'd ask for replacements. (Let us know what they say.)
The chatter on the end of the thread is probably past the point where it engages with the female thread in the bores but it is messy, I'd have expected ground threads for parts of that price.

I have used Briley chokes for many years, in fact there are 2 flush chokes in my 30 years old Classic Doubles now. I have NEVER had an issue, but I am not an Engineer and probably would not be examining them as closely as you are. If you bought the chokes new, then I would suggest you return them. The UK agents, Chris Potter guns, have always been extremely helpful in my dealings with them. As long as they are not glaringly marked, and they screw in and out of my gun with ease, that is good enough for me. I judge their performance by the way they break targets and that is excellently.

Latest posts

Back