Why is FITASC more expensive

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fitasc as always been expensive, reasons given range from ...seeing so many clays ....costs of referees .....less numbers being put through and so on.

It was worth the money in my opinion when the targets were spectacular in both combinations and distance ( hence the 36grm loads) real tests of a different skill than today ? targets gave you more time if my memory serves me well ? we all used tighter chokes to achieve what we thought was required and once your choice of choke was chosen, I think you had to stick to it through the shoot or at least that said parcour !! again testing the shooters all round ability to the limits. The hoops were more in and out ( and not in a line like some nowadays )  and you accepted the course setters skill and time that was undoubtedly required to present such a system, therefor the extra cost was justifiable !! 

To be fair grounds need to see a good profit as most are running a business from said grounds so numbers are crucial .... so if you like whats there and your wallet allows and you have all day to spare, go ..if not don't   

I love both sporting and FITASC but the time that the latter takes to shoot is just beyond the pale. A recent 6 parcours event had two 1 hour breaks in between parcours 2 /3 and 4/5. We started at 10 and didn't finish til 3.15 pm, that's 5 1/4 hrs for just 100 birds. Sorry but for me that's just too long and I will think long and hard before venturing out again. Shame really cos the targets presented were superb.

MM
And there was me thinking you were a man of leisure Stephen :thumbsu:

Sportrap shoots seem to manage ok with lots of traps, fewer refs and regular prices?

Ian,

If you shot the Compact at Cloudside you would think that it is FITASC set up by Jean Claude Van Dam !

2 spaces available on Sunday the 8th at Kegworth in my squad starting at 10am let me know if you want on...........

Range Rovers don't pay for themselves! No, seriously its due to the limited number of entrants that the shoot can push through

:fie:  Started at 10.00and did'nt finish till 3.15 thats 5 1/4 hours for 100 birds too long! :fie:   :fie:  

do you suffer from premature ejaculation as well? :crazy:  

This time issue is a nagging problem in Fitasc but there is still people around and I am one of them who prefers to shoot one on then one off and this becomes a far more social day out

We will never please all the people all of the time

This time issue is a nagging problem in Fitasc but there is still people around and I am one of them who prefers to shoot one on then one off and this becomes a far more social day out

We will never please all the people all of the time
I couldn't agree more - its a day out shooting for goodness sake. Who wants to be home at lunch time? It has to be the finest sport ever invented for a shotgun. Shoot sporting? Yes, if theres no Fitasc.

:fie:  Started at 10.00and did'nt finish till 3.15 thats 5 1/4 hours for 100 birds too long! :fie:   :fie:  

do you suffer from premature ejaculation as well? :crazy:  
When I shoot sporting at greenfields kent I arrive at 9ish have coffee and a chat buy card have chat shoot 10 stands having chat back to the clubhouse for 12ish have coffee and chat watch scores come in get in car around 1.30ish for home that makes about 4 and a half hours what a lovely way to spend sunday morning.

Drive to ground 1hr 45 mins each way=3 1/2 hrs plus 100 birds at 5 1/4 hrs is nearly 9 hrs in total. That's as long as it takes to fly to Barbados for goodness sake. SWMBO was not impressed and to be honest I think she had good case.

Shaun

I guess that being retired means I get to shoot whenever I feel like it(money permitting) and so making a day of it at the weekend is not that important to me. I can understand therefore why those that are working 5 or more days a week don't mind spending the whole day on a weekend pursuing a hobby that they are passionate about. But for me, life is just too short.

MM

Drive to ground 1hr 45 mins each way=3 1/2 hrs plus 100 birds at 5 1/4 hrs is nearly 9 hrs in total. That's as long as it takes to fly to Barbados for goodness sake. SWMBO was not impressed and to be honest I think she had good case.

Shaun

I guess that being retired means I get to shoot whenever I feel like it(money permitting) and so making a day of it at the weekend is not that important to me. I can understand therefore why those that are working 5 or more days a week don't mind spending the whole day on a weekend pursuing a hobby that they are passionate about. But for me, life is just too short.

MM
That makes for a long day indeed steve and the reason I rarely travel to far to shoot, I only shoot about twice a month these days unless the weather is nice but on the odd occasions when I shoot elsewhere I accept its an all day thing and just chill must say if I shot as much as some people on here my wife would without a doubt issue divorce papers. Although Jayne has just picked up a new Caesar summit impact so I guess she will be busy with that for a while meaning the green light for me to squeeze a few extra shoots in fingers crossed. Roll on retirement :nyam:

Last edited by a moderator:
:fie:  There are Sunday morning shooters and there are  serious competition shooters! Sunday morning shooters want to go and shoot any old targets, 10 stands of 5 pairs, get it done as quickly as possible  qiick cup of weak tea a pee and home to the missus to help peel the taters for 12.00 lunch! :fie:  

Then there are Fitasc shooters, Sunday is a day out for them not a break between chores. All week they have been waiting for Sunday to come, dreaming of what

wicked targets they might find,  Fitasc is about comeradery  enjoying the targets and eating bacon sarnies between parcours. the target quality is more important than the prize money! :nyam:  

A rare moment of agreement from me - what shootguru mentions is exactly how I feel about my shooting. 

I choose FITASC Sporting because I want the 'social' that comes with the shooting - a good squad, great targets and some social time in between the parcours.  When I talk to fellow FSP shooters, I realise that I am still new to the game, and I have lots to learn, but I'm learning from a passionate group of people who have gathered loads of wisdom along the way. 

English Sporting does not always give me the same feeling - the repetitive nature of the stands and targets, the over competitive spirit of the events and the feeling that I am being rushed around the stands damages my enjoyment a bit. I don't dislike it, but given the choice - I'd rather be shooting FITASC sporting. 

I may not be very good, and I may get frustrated along the way - but the moment I put the keys in the ignition for the drive home from a distant ground, I start thinking about the next time I'll be walking out to peg one for the next shoot.  Like many others here, I work hard at my day job, and have this whole ShootClay thing to keep me really busy in between - but I often wake up in the morning playing back a target I missed or a rare peg that I straighted last week - did I mention I got my first 23 on Sunday? 

Last edited by a moderator:
:fie:  There are Sunday morning shooters and there are  serious competition shooters! Sunday morning shooters want to go and shoot any old targets, 10 stands of 5 pairs, get it done as quickly as possible  qiick cup of weak tea a pee and home to the missus to help peel the taters for 12.00 lunch! :fie:  

Then there are Fitasc shooters, Sunday is a day out for them not a break between chores. All week they have been waiting for Sunday to come, dreaming of what

wicked targets they might find,  Fitasc is about comeradery  enjoying the targets and eating bacon sarnies between parcours. the target quality is more important than the prize money! :nyam:  
I hear you. But there is a big patch of shooters who are between the two extremes you mention there..

"There are Sunday morning shooters and there are  serious competition shooters!"

Sorry but that is too simplistic.   I am not that serious about competition but I also do not like lazy course setters who do the minimum and I am certainly not happy to shoot any old targets.  Even as a relative newbie, I have a discerning eye now when it comes to targets and courses.  There are also a group of shooters for whom a Sunday's shooting is extremely important, they too look for excellent targets, a quick chat with like minded folk but plan their journey between shoots like a military operation in order to enjoy two excellent shoots if possible.   It does not need to be fitasc to achieve that.  Then there are the fitasc shooters who love fitasc, really not bothered about bacon sarnies or talking to lots of people they want to get on with it,  who love it for the challenge it gives them so long as someone who knows how to set up fitasc is doing the course setting but really really really hate the waiting about but accept it because that is what seems to happen.  In fact I would probably stick my neck out and say that fitasc shooters are probably among the most difficult customers to please.

I have left the building.

Well said Sian and Will! :)

I appreciate that shooting either Sporting or FITASC well takes huge amounts of dedication, discipline, talent and skill. Some excel in one, others in both, the majority in neither. Personal enjoyment is what it should be about; if you enjoy a social shoot with your mates (regardless of the discipline) then that is fantastic. Anywhere between this and wanting to take it more seriously, practice and preferring certain shoots and/or shooting partners then that is equally admirable. Only the very few can be categorised at either end of the spectrum.

Latest posts

Back