Should we turn the clock back to get more people shooting?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Announced today

Lecco, 15/04/2022
Fiocchi Group announces the acquisition of Lyalvale Express

Fiocchi Group, the worldwide leader in the production of small calibre ammunition under Fiocchi Munizioni, Baschieri & Pellagri and Fiocchi of America brands, announces the acquisition of the entire share capital of Lyalvale Express, the historical British manufacturer established in 1983 in Lichfield, United Kingdom, and specialized in manufacturing and distribution of premium game and clay shotshells.

Closing of the deal occurred April, 6 th , 2022. The acquisition of the manufacturing platform of Lyalvale Express in the United Kingdom has the strategic objective to further consolidate Fiocchi Group’s leadership in the game and clay target shooting segments, not only from a manufacturing point of view but also through the expansion of the Group’s product portfolio, offering to consumers a complete range of premium and super-premium products.

Unique to this sector, Fiocchi Group will benefit from four manufacturing plants in two continents: the historical Fiocchi Munizioni plant in Lecco (Italy), Baschieri & Pellagri’s centre of excellence in Bologna (Italy), the manufacturing platform with two plants in Missouri and Arkansas (United States) and the newly acquired Lyalvale Express plant in Lichfield, north of Birmingham (UK).

In addition, the strong complementarity of the brands’ product range, coupled with the unparalleled innovation footprint – the latest example being the biodegradable shotshell components launched within the Green Core project – will allow the Group to enjoy an additional, significant growth in the global markets thanks to the unrivalled commercial network the Group has consolidated over the years.

“We are excited to announce this transaction, which has a significant strategic value. Lyalvale Express becomes part of a Group with an unbeatable historical heritage and will benefit from outstanding innovation capabilities and from a large production platform which will generate important synergies” proudly says Maurizio Negro, Group’s CEO.

Stefano Fiocchi, Group’s President, highlights that “it’s with great pride that we welcome Lyalvale Express to our Group. We will benefit from another historical brand which will further contribute to strengthen and develop the Group’s leadership”.

James Rose, Fiocchi UK Managing Director, will become Managing Director of the new Group’s UK entity: “I’m extremely thrilled by this transaction, I’ve always respected Lyalvale’s high quality and positioning as a UK manufacturer, so I’m absolutely sure that together, we will be able to strengthen and further develop our market”

Do you really think that if lead was banned and replaced by steel the price of cartridges would come down?

Vic.
Vic my last sentance says it. "Is it a fair world " 

All steel shot originates from China so haulage is far more expensive than lead from within the EU. 
Then a total ban on lead for the U.K. and EU would most likely mean insufficient steel shot to meet demand and as is happing now as a result of the Ukraine war the price due to supply and demand will go up. Industrial Steel at this time has increased by up to 300% due to the war.

I am reliable informed steel shot went up the other month by $300 a tonne in one day.
Jeez, whats the west and europe comming to if we dont even manufacture something as simple as steel shot. We desrve to be shafted by the Chineese if thats the case.

A German company lists it for sale but when get to the nitty gritty it is sourced from, you guest it China.

So far all the steel shot I have seen has Chinese writing on the 50gallon drums.

think simple to manufacture it may not be, uses same process as to make the balls for bearings, was told it takes a few hours to make a tonne of lead shot but nearly a week to make a tonne of steel shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
A German company lists it for sale but when get to the nitty gritty it is sourced from, you guest it China.

So far all the steel shot I have seen has Chinese writing on the 50gallon drums.

think simple to manufacture it may not be, uses same process as to make the balls for bearings, was told it takes a few hours to make a tonne of lead shot but nearly a week to make a tonne of steel shot.
I seem to remember about 4 years back when you could still by the likes of select and superfast around £180. Steel cartridges were available about £150/60

Lead  and lead / antimony is a pretty cost effective material for production . Low melting point , easy to alloy,  flows through gravity dies , cools and sets with a long air drop . Easy to classify for size , and 100% recoverable for out of spec product  . I’ve just looked at the LME tonne prices and there’s about £50 worth of raw materials in 28kg , enough for a thousand  cartridges .  By the time that’s been delivered  and processed with all overheads attributed to it possibly a £100 ex works  to the cost of a thousand cartridges . Then look at the other components and you’d think twice about setting up a business that has to produce , distribute , make you a profit , make the retailer a profit , and give HMRC £40 a thousand in VAT . 

I’ve just paid £255 for a thousand Oly Blue 28gm plastic . 

It’s a very large numbers game, the individual profit on a 1000 budget clay cartridges is not a lot, but they make millions of them and that keeps the factory gates open, the extra profit is from game cartridges and premium clay cartridges.

Interesting subject, apologies if my views and experiences are way off or not typical of other peoples experiences, but…..having reconnected with clay shooting in the last 3 months, my experiences have been - packed shooting grounds on weekends, registered shoots that are fully booked and popular registered shoots booked weeks in advance.

So the concern that the sport could suffer because of increased costs seems unlikely. Current shooters may change the frequency they shoot, but I believe the sheer volume of new shooters coming into the sport will offset the reduction by existing shooters.

I see a lot of new shooters at the grounds I use on the weekends and believe this new blood will ensure the costs steadily climb in the industry.

Forget the increased cost of clays and cartridges, the actual cost is far wider - Cartridges, Clays, Gun, Apparel, Lessons, Gunsmith, Food, Drink, Club Membership subscription, Governing body membership subscription, competition entry, travel to and from grounds, accommodation…….

Just to clarify, whilst I’d love it if it was cheaper to shoot, it’s not and never likely to be. So I just accept it.

I agree, but to be honest I’ve never understood the obsession with prize money. I’m not an experienced sports person as such, and I’m not aware of many participant sports with class winnings or similar (I could be wrong here if course)

I wonder how much the cost of our entries would come down if there didn’t have to be a prize fund?

I didn’t take this hobby up to win money, I’d go down BET365 if I was that way inclined. I do it to compete with myself and others and hopefully improve.

I will probably be shot down in flames for even saying this 
totally agree with this. I used to pay match fees to play rugby each week to have the bleep kicked out of me and then spend a fortune on beer after to ease the pain of said kicking. I never received anything financially from playing..... I did it because (possibly weirdly) I loved it. I don't undertstand the clamour for prize money. I am nowhere near winning any but would still shoot even if there wasn't any. It is not a driver for me, shooting with friends and having a laugh is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
totally agree with this. I used to pay match fees to play rugby each week to have the bleep kicked out of me and then spend a fortune on beer after to ease the pain of said kicking. I never received anything financially from playing..... I did it because (possibly weirdly) I loved it. I don't undertstand the clamour for prize money. I am nowhere near winning any but would still shoot even if there wasn't any. It is not a driver for me, shooting with friends and having a otters is. 
Firstly on behalf of the many of us that did so, we never kicked a Dursley player, it was legitimate rucking as you were too slow / lazy / slightly cheating whilst on “the wrong side” Will admit beer was a welcome painkiller. As for prize money, this will be batted back n forth forever, however I would add that for every cash prize money offering registered sporting shoot in this neck of woods there are a dozen or so opportunities to shoot at clays for fun / jolly / morning / afternoon out. 

Firstly on behalf of the many of us that did so, we never kicked a Dursley player, it was legitimate rucking as you were too slow / lazy / slightly cheating whilst on “the wrong side” Will admit beer was a welcome painkiller. As for prize money, this will be batted back n forth forever, however I would add that for every cash prize money offering registered sporting shoot in this neck of woods there are a dozen or so opportunities to shoot at clays for fun / jolly / morning / afternoon out. 
Dursley players never 'slightly cheat'...... it was always very blatant 😀 I miss those days....

Back