What would you 'teach'

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddjob

In my drive to bring on my young shots as much as possible I am thinking of developing some teaching sessions as an after school activity to inform the practical training. It has got me thinking what topics would make up these 'lessons'.

We have all had lessons, some useful, others less so. If you were to teach clay shooting, what areas would you cover?

Just to clarify, do you mean classroom/theory based to reinforce or prepare for lessons on the shooting ground? 

It starts with gun safety, how to handle a gun in and out of gun slip, how to mount it correctly, where it sits in the shoulder, master eye dominance, different methods - swing through, the CPSA method etc. All of these can be done in classroom.

Just my thoughts I'm sure you'll get a lot more

Jonz

Just to clarify, do you mean classroom/theory based to reinforce or prepare for lessons on the shooting ground?
Yes that is the idea, but just because it is class room based does not mean it needs to be just theory. (I'm not advocating blasting holes in walls!) I'm just curious as to how people would break down the sport and which elements they felt most important to pass on to less experienced shots.

I would do 'the maths' to demonstrate the requirement for leeed. Then classic target representations. Lots of dotted white lines and X 's on the whiteboard. But I do see it very like that.

For sure the biggest issue with brand new shooters (after safety, basic gun hold and stance) is believing and learning forward allowance..

I once did the maths on a crosser at 40 metres and the difference that 100 fps on a cartridge made (say 1400 to 1500 fps, with a stationary gun, clay possibly doing 50mph) it was surprising how little difference it made, I think if intecall correctly it roughly worked out at 100mm extra per 100fps on the cartridge at 40 metres. Not very usefull in practise because we shoot with a moving gun, but good maths work and shows that the cartridge speed doesn't matter that much. I'll recheck it when I have 10 mins!

I once did the maths on a crosser at 40 metres and the difference that 100 fps on a cartridge made (say 1400 to 1500 fps, with a stationary gun, clay possibly doing 50mph) it was surprising how little difference it made, I think if intecall correctly it roughly worked out at 100mm extra per 100fps on the cartridge at 40 metres. Not very usefull in practise because we shoot with a moving gun, but good maths work and shows that the cartridge speed doesn't matter that much. I'll recheck it when I have 10 mins!
I did similar maths a while back. I'm sure you are about right..

Good call from Clever- explain the effect of angle/speed/distance on perceived lead. It can be very neatly explained with a diagram of a skeet range and a very basic understanding of angles which im sure the kids will have. Happy to run over it next time we catch up.

Had a spare minute to run some maths, gathered some information from the hull cartridge site as they give velocity over distance graph.

1500 fps shell does 40m in a time of 0.123 seconds (Average speed over the 40m is a lot less than the muzzle volicity)

1375 fps shell does 40m in a time of 0.133 seconds (both based on 28grm plastic 7.5 shot)

So difference in shell is 0.01 seconds (125 fps)

A clay doing 50 mph at the time of shooting ( fast clay really) will travel 224mm in that 0.01 of a second

This is more than double of my previous post, i didn't allow for the shot decelerating (Doh).  According to hull a 1500fps shell is doing 457 m/s at the muzzle and only 190m/s at 40m.  So average velocity of 323.5m/s (1066 fps)

That is based on a stationary gun intercepting a moving clay, a moving gun will hopefully alter those.

On the same basis with a stationary gun a 50 mph clay at 40m and a 1500 fps shell, you would need to shoot 2.749m in front of the clay to intercept it.  Now i don't know if that is feasible or not, I would like to think I would give it less lead than that with a moving gun.

Good call from Clever- explain the effect of angle/speed/distance on perceived lead. It can be very neatly explained with a diagram of a skeet range and a very basic understanding of angles which im sure the kids will have. Happy to run over it next time we catch up.
Might you bring that with you on Saturday? Pretty please.

before one got to any of this shouldnt they be taught the responsibility of of gunownership and use,

and the statistics which prove how safe the sport really is ??? they could then take such information home to discuss with their parents and possibly allay any fears they might have about such an extra curricular activity or session.

ssorry didnt read the first post properly !!! just like my first bird on every stand !!

Back