Cone height

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiggers

I’ve been clay shooting for about 6 months and go every week. I’ve got a beretta 694 and I love it - silly point but i seem to shooting where I’m aiming if that makes sense, even if I’m not always aiming in the right place, practise and some lessons will sort this I’m sure.

Hoping to avoid the fair but not needed comments of ‘should have tried one first’, so here goes. When I mount the gun and get a full view of the rib, I’ve begun to notice that the but of the cone is sitting about an inch above my shoulder. What modifications would be available from the gunsmith the bring the cone lower.

Thank you in anticipation of some insight

I’ve been clay shooting for about 6 months and go every week. I’ve got a beretta 694 and I love it - silly point but i seem to shooting where I’m aiming if that makes sense, even if I’m not always aiming in the right place, practise and some lessons will sort this I’m sure.

Hoping to avoid the fair but not needed comments of ‘should have tried one first’, so here goes. When I mount the gun and get a full view of the rib, I’ve begun to notice that the but of the cone is sitting about an inch above my shoulder. What modifications would be available from the gunsmith the bring the cone lower.

Ok, “cone” is maybe not the term you’re intending? Do you mean the heel of the stock pad is sitting above your shoulder? Gun fit involves many things and chopping the gun around should only be done after the shooter is standing, mounting and holding correctly. It’s very common for new shooters to have the pad above the shoulder. It usually means they are standing too upright and just aren’t holding the gun correctly yet. You need to let somebody experienced see you mount the gun.

Last edited:
Ok, “cone” is maybe not the term you’re intending? Do you mean the heel of the stock pad is sitting above your shoulder? Gun fit involves many things and chopping the gun around should only be done after the shooter is standing, mounting and holding correctly. It’s very common for new shooters to have the pad above the shoulder. It usually means they are standing too upright and just aren’t holding the gun correctly yet. You need to let somebody experienced see you mount the gun.
Thank you and yes I meant the heel of the stock. I am planning a visit to the gunsmith as suggested. Perhaps I’m just overthinking the issue?

Thank you and yes I meant the heel of the stock. I am planning a visit to the gunsmith as suggested. Perhaps I’m just overthinking the issue?
It’s good to want get things right! But seriously make sure you’re a great example of gun hold before doing anything else.

Before you go to the gunsmith Stiggers , just a word of caution , a good gunsmith or stocker isn’t the same as a gunfitter . What you need first is a session with someone who understands gunfit in a dynamic way , ie when you are mounting the gun and shooting targets . That person will then give you the dimensions to take to the person doing the alterations IF they’re happy with your gun mount and consistency .

I

Before you go to the gunsmith Stiggers , just a word of caution , a good gunsmith or stocker isn’t the same as a gunfitter . What you need first is a session with someone who understands gunfit in a dynamic way , ie when you are mounting the gun and shooting targets . That person will then give you the dimensions to take to the person doing the alterations IF they’re happy with your gun mount and consistency .

I
Thanks Martyn. I have to confess I’m a tad apprehensive about going to see the chap at my preferred club. I’ve been to see him before with my previous gun (SP V) and was lectured about my naivety to buy a gun without trying it. Clearly he wasn’t wrong and I was, but his attitude steered the outcome into a negative experience.

I’m new to this game and I’m really committed to my detriment perhaps, but the more I go to shoot (currently weekly) I find myself trying to process the cause and effect. As i posted originally I do feel the gun is shooting where I am aiming, sadly not in the correct place to smash some of the clays, but that’s about practise with some tuition I hope, however I now seem to have the stock very high in my shoulder which is reducing the surface contact to my shoulder, thus increasing the discomfort. Shot 150 today with mixed results but my shoulder feels quite tender.

Thanks Bud

Whereabouts in the country are you ? Then someone on here could recommend someone to have a look at you . If by any chance you’re in the sort of Pennine region I’d recommend you go see Mike Meggison at Kelbrook

If I recall correctly, ISIS recoil systems (and others) have solutions for a movable butt-pad that allows you to keep the comb height equal whilst lowering the pad, thus increasing shoulder contact. I do concur that you should have someone check your gun fit, stance and mount before taking tools to your stock. While I'm tempted to say something about placing the stock that high, there's just no way to assess what (if anything) there is to solve without seeing you shoot.

By all means get someone competent to straight things up - in the meantime watch this (esp. from 3:20 on):

Whereabouts in the country are you ? Then someone on here could recommend someone to have a look at you . If by any chance you’re in the sort of Pennine region I’d recommend you go see Mike Meggison at Kelbrook
Belper bud

By all means get someone competent to straight things up - in the meantime watch this (esp. from 3:20 on):

i've watched this about 10 times. the forend hand position... with the hand underneath and the finger pointing, the foot position, and the 45 degree initial gun mount i need to try. I'm like i first started playing golf, and theres so many basic things i am not doing correctly out of instinct, drills, and muscle memory... because am a noob.

i've watched this about 10 times. the forend hand position... with the hand underneath and the finger pointing, the foot position, and the 45 degree initial gun mount i need to try. I'm like i first started playing golf, and theres so many basic things i am not doing correctly out of instinct, drills, and muscle memory... because am a noob.
Great post (y)

Some really interesting and helpful responses - thank you.

As stated I am new to this sport so again apologies for incorrect terminology. Assuming the comb is too high, what are the methods of lowering it?. I shot 150 today and was happy with my hit rate considering I’m a newbie - gun again seems to be firing where I am pointing, but after checking on several occasions I only have about 80% of the butt in contact with my shoulder.

As stated I am new to this sport so again apologies for incorrect terminology. Assuming the comb is too high, what are the methods of lowering it?. I shot 150 today and was happy with my hit rate considering I’m a newbie - gun again seems to be firing where I am pointing, but after checking on several occasions I only have about 80% of the butt in contact with my shoulder.
Again, have to see you to sort this, but there’s a strong possibility that you are only presenting enough of your shoulder pocket to the gun for 80% of the pad to be contacted. That’s different from only 80% of the pad touching you, in terms of blame. 😀 There is a technique to raising your shooting shoulder “up and over” to make a great home for a stock pad, which isn’t natural at first. In terms of comb being too high, don’t touch anything until gun is being mounted perfectly. If you can see over the rib, that’s fine for now as long as not stupidly high, it’s only an issue if you’re too low and can’t see any rib.

Last edited:

Don't worry, just shoot slightly under the targets

Slight update/request for more suggestions from those with more experience than I have. I should start by stating I haven’t booked a session with the gunsmith re fit, nor a lesson with Andy at Doveridge who I blame/thank for getting me into this game.

As previously mentioned I believe the gun is firing where I aim - sadly I have still allot to learn about maintained lead, but during this organic improvement I am holding the gun very high in the shoulder. When I first mentioned this I was concerned that the butt was slightly above my shoulder which caused discomfort on the following day. That’s seems to have passed from a pain point of view, but yesterday I felt I came very close to removing my upper molar on the right side.

I understand why my view point down the length of the rib should be, but confess to not understanding where the come should be sat against my cheek?……maybe I was just hugging the 694 too firmly….maybe I should come down from CompX 28G?

Any comments that might evolve my understanding would be grateful (y)

Read my comment of October 14th again.. But you really need to be with somebody who can bend you / show you. The problem likely is all in your gun hold.

Read my comment of October 14th again.. But you really need to be with somebody who can bend you / show you. The problem likely is all in your gun hold.
Thank you bud, but I’m not sure that post addresses my latest concern of my molars :D

Thank you bud, but I’m not sure that post addresses my latest concern of my molars :D
Yes it does. Once you stand and hold correctly no part of you will receive a significant impact. I would very happily help you out in person if you were at EJC or somewhere in the area.

Last edited:
You do need to get someone to look at the fit whilst mounted. EJC is a very nice ground and I would make the journey to see Will.

There are so many things that might be wrong (or right). The 694 has a wide stock, which reduces cast, and if you head is too upright etc. etc. Will has correctly pointed out that new shooters tend stand too upright - I liken it to skiing in that more control comes from the stance being more aggressive - very roughly with conventional/sunglasses glasses on, a good mount means you would be looking out of the top third.

It's not just the mount that's an issue but that the mount is a personal thing and the gun's standard dimensions are a manufacturers compromise. If your 694 has the standard stock (35/55) it is extremely unlikely to be too low.

Its also that changing one thing affects another - pitch is often overlooked and can easily explain mussel flip/kick. Even a small change with even out the contact area.

I'm afraid (and have seen) shops say a gun fits when its well off the mark - they bend the person around the gun - and that's what you must now avoid.

In short - decent coach before you touch the gun.

Latest posts

Back