What IS that target ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to mention 'rabbit clays' thrown off a high tower......but thought I might lose the audience.......
But isn't that somehow "cruel"??   :fie:

Everybody knows rabbits run on the ground, not fly! By throwing them up into the air it's not giving their little leggies a chance to work??   :sarcastic:

Problem is this rule will be abused. If marked on the menu everyone knows.

Go to the world shoot abroad and ill have £5000 says the locals will know EXACTLY which birds are which...

up to a point, your right Ed,

if a range setter , or a ref,or anyone else involved with the setup of a shoot, then shoots the competition , they will have some knowledge which may help them. probably still won't beat the Digweeds or Solomon's of the world tho!   as long as its not an eyesight test, then most will know the diff's between turning battues, loopers,or whatever, but if its in the air ,,shoot it!, THAT is what clay shooting is about.

Well, I have to say that I think it is a ridiculous rule and it does nothing to add to the enjoyment of the event for 90% of the entrants. Of course the top 10% can hit anything regardless of a description or not, thats why that are where they are. But to expect the rest to tell the difference between a looping standard and an arial rabbit at 45 yards, or a 50 yard standard and a 30 yard midi is just a bit too much and is a rule for the sake of having a rule. We're supposed to do this for fun remember?

I think it is a rule that is unnecessary and it is abused.

At a World in France a couple of years ago the locals practised the stands for two weeks before the event.

This year a shoot was won by the course setter.

Can you believe that a course setter would not check out the targets before the day by shooting them?

At Hodnet recently there were some excellent fitasc targets thrown, that if they were Game you would not have put the gun up to, because it would have been deemed unsporting and speculative.

It's about time the Frogs realised what sportsmanship is and realised that Game is not FITASC, two different Worlds and targets completely. Unless of course clay targets were set to be hit by a minimum of 6 pellets rather than an occasional Golden pellet.

Well, I have to say that I think it is a ridiculous rule and it does nothing to add to the enjoyment of the event for 90% of the entrants. Of course the top 10% can hit anything regardless of a description or not, thats why that are where they are. But to expect the rest to tell the difference between a looping standard and an arial rabbit at 45 yards, or a 50 yard standard and a 30 yard midi is just a bit too much and is a rule for the sake of having a rule. We're supposed to do this for fun remember?
I would be amazed if anyone can get tripped up by confusing a 30 yard midi with a 50 yard std………..the real point is though that you'll be missing those targets any way if you can't get past the initial hurdle of even reading or recognising them ! 

I am prepared to accept it is a silly rule simply because more experienced people than myself think it is, but I fail to see how knowing makes any real difference to your method of attack, I don't make conscious decisions for amount of lead etc, based on target type. If it looks fast and far I try and give it a bit more, if it's close less so. Agreed a rocket or rabbit thrown as a looper needs a hard hit to break but even those can look heavier and slower in flight. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem is this rule will be abused. If marked on the menu everyone knows.

Go to the world shoot abroad and ill have £5000 says the locals will know EXACTLY which birds are which...
I understand but will things even out in the end ? It doesn't seem to do them much good in any case as the winners are rarely local.

Hampster, So what you are saying is that if someone in your class has practised the competition targets regularly, it won't  give him/her any advantage over you on the day?

Hampster, So what you are saying is that if someone in your class has practised the competition targets regularly, it won't  give him/her any advantage over you on the day?
Of course not, which thread have you been reading then ? I am saying knowing what type of clay is being thrown is not going to help much if you don't know how to hit it in the first place. Practicing a layout before hand is clearly different and akin to cheating.

I am reading this thread where ED says  (which is true) when abroad (La Rabot for instance) all the locals will  know which birds are which!  (because they have shot them time and time again).

Dornsburgh, Health and safety forbid alterations of the PERMANENT targets! but they were holding fitasc World & European C/ships up until they insisted on steel shot! 

Last edited by a moderator:
the terrain which these targets are set against are more relevant than whether its a midi or whatever, with some reference from banks, trees, bushes etc,it gives a sense of distance and speed, which is all you should need. in my limited excursions to 10 or 12 different grounds,, it seems the favourite presentation is on a featureless flat field, not even bothering to hide the trap. not all mind,, but I suppose its easy to reload the trap,,,,,,,,, there are also some really good , well thought out grounds too, often the 'straw bale type shoot!

it is imperative that any shooter who takes this game seriously needs to know what they are shooting at , example today my scorer on stand 8 says half way through the day the board says thats a midi , is it ? because people say its a standard and when i looked quickly at it as a shooter would yes it doea resemble a std but was in fact a midi .

the other funny thing i have heard this week regarding fitasc is when out in the field shooting you have to decide what the bird is , well hello if you cant tell the difference between a pheasant , partridge , black bird or a rabbit jumping out the top of a tree , should you be shooting ???? utter bol***ks

steve

The following is one of GD's tweets from the competition he is shooting in France:

George Digweed (@georgedigweed)
28/06/2014 13:01
Guy in front of me shoots 6/6 , I shoot 1/6 ,he says to me took him 3days to find that target! No practice @ the French champs then!

He also comments in other tweets that the trees appear to have been shot to bits where the targets have already been practiced.....

That there is a distinct advantage in shooting the targets beforehand or in knowing what each target is (eg Midi) and knowing its trajectory if its not displayed on the menu. :fie:

That there is a distinct advantage in shooting the targets beforehand or in knowing what each target is (eg Midi) and knowing its trajectory if its not displayed on the menu. :fie:
Not what the thread is about but carry on.

Well I can tell the difference between being 'told what the target is' and 'practicing it' before Hamster! :) :)

Afaic practicing the layout beforehand is downright cheating, no question about it.

Getting told the bird type on the day, on the stand, is a level playing field either way. To the AAA+++ shooters it makes little or no difference, to us numpties at the bottom of the barrel that are processing sooooo much info so it doesn't help much either.

Seems it's frequently the people who want to see 100 on their scorecards rather than 95's that moan about the targets, the refs, the layouts and everything else but their shooting ability! :) :)

Latest posts

Back