So... What do we think of squadded shoots?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a real fan of it, it allows you to make the most of your day! From the grounds I've shot since COVID Honesberie have the best flowing system as you go off in pairs. You're done in 1.5 hours tops and very rare to ever have any waiting. 

The downside is you or your partner are often first in to stands with no chance to see other squads shoot the stand showing you multiple pairs. The plus side is it actually really helps your target reading as you have to trust your judgement! 

Longridge yesterday was good as well, you go around as a squad with a dedicated scorer. There's only a few squads on the course at once so never have to wait at a stand and the flowed nicely. 

Post pandemic, I'll likely consider the squadding system a positive which could well sway a decision to book at a certain ground if it's a 50/50 on deciding where to shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I quite like the squaded system, I can see it going back to a free for all after June. The exception maybe be the midweek shoots, but weekends I reckon will be back to as you were. To much grief for the grounds to keep booking people in, then having the no shows.

I'm a real fan of it, it allows you to make the most of your day! From the grounds I've shot since COVID Honesberie have the best flowing system as you go off in pairs. You're done in 1.5 hours tops and very rare to ever have any waiting. 

The downside is you or your partner are often first in to stands with no chance to see birds. The plus side is it actually really helps your target reading as you have to trust your judgement! 

Longridge yesterday was good as well, you go around as a squad with a dedicated scorer. There's only a few squads on the course at once so never have to wait at a stand and the flowed nicely. 

Post pandemic, I'll likely consider the squadding system a positive which could well sway a decision to book at a certain ground if it's a 50/50 on deciding where to shoot.
Doug the "no chance to see birds"? could you expand for someone who has not shot a two person squad shoot, thank you

Doug the "no chance to see birds"? could you expand for someone who has not shot a two person squad shoot, thank you
I’ve shot it several times and always been shown a pair if the shooters in front of me have departed before I’ve seen the targets. 

I hate it. I shot my first registered shoot since early December last Sunday . Because of my job, (farm manager), I can't pre book things with confidence. I have always said to the farm that I would shoot the Essex Masters, the English Open and the World sporting when it is in England. All of the rest of my shooting was as and when I could. I know others say book in and cancel if you can't make it, but I don't feel comfortable doing that as often as I would have had to this year.

I can see that for the vast majority it is ok. 

Poor phrasing, you're always given the chance to see a pair but you don't get to see a few shooters shoot the whole stand to see 4+ pairs.

Poor phrasing, you're always given the chance to see a pair but you don't get to see a few shooters shoot the whole stand to see 4+ pairs.
Ah thank for that and I get you, thing is a muppet like I sees different shots take on a target different places in flight path then gets most confused! Trust your judgement, good call.

I really like squaded shoots . I shoot Northampton and sporting targets quite a lot and they have always been squaded. Normally no queues and you get to meet people that you wouldn't normally shoot with. 

As a selfish old man, it’s days like today 💦💦💦💨💨💦💦💦💦💦 (it’s horrid outside as I type) in that having pre book onto a squad obligates one to go out rather than the sensible armchair tea & telly. Overall though the known start & 🤞 known finish type does help plan the day, if anything one has missed out on chewing the fat with chums, but that’s happening everywhere not just a clay ground.  

Back