what is a Spreader Load

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigolbear

I read this on an American site  can some kind soul explain please I have no idea what they are on about 

A cartridge with a wide spread (pattern). Not sure how they are doing this, but certain types of piston wad, or even deliberately misshapen shot will do it.

Misshapen shot will help but it's the special wad that does the main work of opening up the pattern wider than usual, all the data I've ever read reckon they work best with tight chokes  typically opening up a 3/4 to around 1/4 but do very little with open chokes such as Skeet.

Spreader Loads.

Available commercially in the US of A  but illegal to use here in the UK.

Basically it is a plastic wad with a cruciform in the centre of the wad shot cup . So in simple terms , as the shot load exits the barrel it is instantly divided into four columns these are then acted upon by aerodynamic drag causing a greater shot dispersal. Home loaders often use a cocktail stick in the centre of the shot load/cup.

Also available Duplex loads which is a cartridge loaded with two different shot sizes such as 7s & 9s plus spreader device.

As usual you are all wrong...

A spreader load is the aftermath of an extremely hot curry that violently exits in an explosive manner.... :)

What's a piston wad ? I noticed that fiocchi make them for sporting

www.proshock.co.uk

Piston wads are the worst thing to hit the market, kick like a mule! They apparently give people a better chance of hitting close range targets!

Piston wads are the worst thing to hit the market, kick like a mule! They apparently give people a better chance of hitting close range targets!
Matt, are piston wads Bior wads with a different name or something altogether different?

Best to ask Chubby as he is the authority on this and as for kick like a mule Matt that's because your gun weighs 5 grams :spiteful:

Fiocchi Piston wad is an Italian name for Nicola.

Actually they mis heard when I said Pissed and Mouthy.

yes that is correct...
In that case you are wrong about them all "kicking like a mule"...Clever Mirage 'Compak Bior wad sporting 8.5's' (uk8's) are very smooth, I keep a box in my range bag for close 'stuff', same pattern effect (if not better) than a fibre wad but with the gas sealing preformance of a plastic...even shot 25 DTL with them through 1/2 choke, breaks were exellent.

http://www.clevervr.com/catalog/competition

yes you are correct and I was overly generalizing, the ones I have tried kicked like a mule and to me were pointless. If I put a white gold in the right place then the target evaporates, so why I would bother with a bio wad is beyond me. If GD or ES start to use them I might reconsider for a nano second and then stick with the white golds...

In that case you are wrong about them all "kicking like a mule"...Clever Mirage 'Compak Bior wad sporting 8.5's' (uk8's) are very smooth, I keep a box in my range bag for close 'stuff', same pattern effect (if not better) than a fibre wad but with the gas sealing preformance of a plastic...even shot 25 DTL with them through 1/2 choke, breaks were exellent.

http://www.clevervr.com/catalog/competition
That's an interesting shell. Are they specifically designed to work out of tighter chokes? Could see a use for these when I'm using my Benelli for sporting. Are they available in the Kent or Essex area?

Cheers

Dave

Back