What Gun and Cartridge do you use

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gun Set Up

Krieghoff K80 30" multichoke (Rhino Chokes)

Briley Ultralight sub gauge tubes (20g, 28g & .410)

Cartridges.

12 gauge - Armusa 28gram Supersofts - 9's

20 gauge - Armusa 24gram - 9's

28 gauge - Armusa 21gram - 9's 

.410 Bore - Remington (reloads) - 9's

For sporting i use..

12 gauge - Armusa Sporting 28gram 8's (in both standard and supersoft versions)

& on occasion gamebore velocity. 

I have to agree that Express Supremes are exactly that , supreme.

World Cups have their uses but they do kick a bit , but not noticed through the melted down Messrschmidt.

Oh how I wish I could still get a 7/8 cartridge that Express used to make in a Violet coloured case . NOW THEY WERE SUPREME,SUPERB, FANTASTIC.

An absolutely brilliant shell, I will have to dig into my collection to see if I still have one and get it replicated again by Lyalvale .

If anyone ( Fred?) can remember what it was called I would be interested.

Never seen a Violet case for Express. Best 24gm Express was their 24gm Supreme with so-called 8% shot. Marcus says it can't be made now.

image.jpeg.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Krieghoff K80 32" Trap Special choked 5/8 & 3/4 (K2+/K3) 

Cheddite Trap Oro 28g 8.5's 

Awesome  :good:

Thanks PhilR and 40UP.

Yes I checked out the Lyalvale website today and what sounds good is the Excel 24gram.

But I must track down this 'violet ' shell which dependant on your Pilla's / Randolphs could be purple or even lavender colour , no matter what colour it really is, it was a wonderful shell.

I don't think it was anything special as regard marketing , it was just a brilliant clubman type shell . Very impressive performance.

Just notices that Sian, donna and myself didn't mention barrel length, but most everyone else did.  Must be a boy thing  :wink:
Could it be that Men have been telling you that  1 1/2"    is actually er..........SIX INCHES, this could lead to your confused state   ????

Could it be that Men have been telling you that  1 1/2"    is actually er..........SIX INCHES, this could lead to your confused state   ????
:angel: my girlfriend thinks she can 12 inch in her mouth !

Never seen a Violet case for Express. Best 24gm Express was their 24gm Supreme with so-called 8% shot. Marcus says it can't be made now.

View attachment 6256.  
The violet clubman was the HV, it was 67mm, really good, I used to sell loads to Bob & Kathy as he rated them after the winchester supply dried up, it broke Bobs 80m+ targets with ease on his layout.

The violet clubman was the HV, it was 67mm, really good, I used to sell loads to Bob & Kathy as he rated them after the winchester supply dried up, it broke Bobs 80m+ targets with ease on his layout.
I don't know if they still make these HV carts.Bob used to like them as they wre soft to shoot.but they did hit clays well. I shot a 25 straight practice the day before a selection shoot with them.  I didn't want to use up my comp cartridges up before the comp so used these that I had with me.

They performed  far better than I thought.

20170321_215606.jpg

I used to shoot the express hv 24 grams 20 years ago, thought they were in a green case then though. As I can recall they were about £85 per thou compared to super comps my dad shot at £105 per thou. They were the express budget shell, very soft and quick and good on price, they would pull pigeons down as well.

That sounds like the 24gram I am talking about .

Case colour was possibly dictated by what was currently available. But mine were Violet.

So now we all have to bully / badger / Marcus to re-intoduce these at a sensible price if possible .

I shot the Express Super shells for years until they went over £100 at which point I switched to Eley Superbs which were new on the scene, £95 if memory serves and I couldn't tell the difference in recoil or breaks. The cheaper red/pink HV Express were one of my least favourite shells, from time to time I'd try and a few and never liked them ! 

That sounds like the 24gram I am talking about .

Case colour was possibly dictated by what was currently available. But mine were Violet.

So now we all have to bully / badger / Marcus to re-intoduce these at a sensible price if possible .
I was only thinking about these shells the other day and how they were good, it then spurred me to look at the JC website to look for something similar. Gamebore do the evo in a 24 gram which is a lovely sweet cartridge, but it still costs the same as a 28 gram velocity plus. So other than it being a little smoother there is no real advantage so will be sticking to velocity 28 7.5s rather than 24 8.0s, also can get the velocity locally.

I used to shoot the express hv 24 grams 20 years ago, thought they were in a green case then though. As I can recall they were about £85 per thou compared to super comps my dad shot at £105 per thou. They were the express budget shell, very soft and quick and good on price, they would pull pigeons down as well.
The Red/Pink HV one in the picture were £76 per 1000 and just about the cheapest cart available. Excells which I used in comps were arpund £105. That was only 10 to 12 years ago , just before things went silly. 

They quickly went up in price, well above mid range carts from all the other manufactures so we stopped using them.

I had some Super comps in 24g given to me a couple of years ago that were bought in 2003 which I used up. They were excellent to shoot and gave really good kills.  On the back of this i bought some more. They were totally different and no where as nice to shoot or hit as well. 

As I had some from both batches I took a couple apart.  The wad and powders were different.  In my mind the new ones weren't super comps.

Last weekend we were shown that the super comp has been re designed to improve performance and is in a different colour case. The price had also  dropped to make them (more) competative on price.

About the same time these pink Express HV cartridges were about there was also a green Gamebore cartridge called "Super XLR" cam paced in a green box. They were not the same as the current xlr and were priced about £77 a thousand - i used these combined with Gamebore Clear Winner for any slightly longer / harder targets. 

I also used to quite like the Victory cartridges - Compact, Challenger and finally Sonic's. Seem to remember these were sensible money too. They sponsored a lot of shooters for a while - they were all kitted out in their maroon skeet vests?

skeetfrek

I shot victory challenger 480 and 550 for many many years they were an excellent load. I have not seen victory for a long time

Latest posts

Back