Westfields 16. 3.14 Too Hard or Spot on

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for the record I am not advocating that targets should be dumbed down,I have shot some of my best scores at Westfield. Its just my opinion of what ground owners have to do.

Target 'difficulty' aside, familiarity with a ground helps boost scores. Familiarity of setters style and the terrain helps. Another reason why HG (or even the odd high class win) can be a poor way to judge a shoot status. If I had to go head to head with certain shooters, for instance, I would love to nominate the ground rather than let them do it.

Funny the talk of averages came up.
I was a couple of points below working my average to my next goal before shooting Westfield.
I need to be shooting over 76 to keep moving upwards but as discussed with other members in here some shoots are a wee but softer and scores are shown to be so.
Now after my 68 I have more work to do.
Would I stop shooting harder shoots?
No way!
I want or challenge my shooting and improve my shooting.
If my average drops I need to work harder.
As said I "should" have shot nearer 74/75 as no target beat me out there on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
The courses Mr Lovatt sets are really remarkably  rather good, considering there is such little thought or planning put into them, everyone knows he just drives until he runs out of petrol then dumps a trap on the ground. There is no skill in that !!!  Just saying, true story

I was a couple of points below working my average to my next goal before shooting Westfield.

I need to be shooting over 76 to keep moving upwards but as discussed with other members in here some shoots are a wee but softer and scores are shown to be so.

Now after my 68 I have more work to do.

Would I stop shooting harder shoots?

No way!

I want or challenge my shooting and improve my shooting.

If my average drops I need to work harder.

As said I "should" have shot nearer 74/75 as no target beat me out there on Sunday.
Yes, you can play averages.. Or let the scores do what they should. I shot a a ground last Sunday that I am always crap at. But went anyway. I knew on the last stand that if I missed three targets, my score would drop off. Having dropped 1, I smoked the last pair. Couldn't rest if I had played the system.

Yes, you can play averages.. Or let the scores do what they should. I shot a a ground last Sunday that I am always crap at. But went anyway. I knew on the last stand that if I missed three targets, my score would drop off. Having dropped 1, I smoked the last pair. Couldn't rest if I had played the system.
To be clear I wasn't and don't play averages.
I shoot each layout and shoot as I see it.
I don't choose a ground based on how the scores are shot.
When I said I "should" have scored 74/75 I meant if wasn't shooting like a muppet ;-)

To be clear I wasn't and don't play averages.

I shoot each layout and shoot as I see it.

I don't choose a ground based on how the scores are shot.

When I said I "should" have scored 74/75 I meant if wasn't shooting like a muppet ;-)
Yes, no worries, I get that. You are same as me. I was agreeing that shooting it as it comes is good. I was just saying that some others do play it, including the not handing cards in (while we are on it).

I enjoyed it as always and at first was left wondering if I had done something wrong that day, then it hit me. The sun, the relaxed atmos the firm but fair course, I did not approach it as I would when it was bad weather, because of this lack of focus I shot 10 less than I know I could have had. I want to improve my scores but hitting easy targets wont help me.

So to sum up it was Spot On..

Keep up the good work Steve, Alison and the rest of the Team @ TCSC

Funny the talk of averages came up. I was a couple of points below working my average to my next goal before shooting Westfield. I need to be shooting over 76 to keep moving upwards but as discussed with other members in here some shoots are a wee but softer and scores are shown to be so. Now after my 68 I have more work to do. Would I stop shooting harder shoots? No way! I want or challenge my shooting and improve my shooting. If my average drops I need to work harder. As said I "should" have shot nearer 74/75 as no target beat me out there on Sunday.
I struggle with that, My average this period has actually dropped slightly, BUT I am shooting the best I ever have been. The averages are fine but they dont take into account the course - just a 'number'. I always try to shoot tougher shoots as I am learning all of the time and feel as if I have worked for it when I can put in a half decent score, hence the average drop. The individual course is the same for everyone, everyone shoots the same targets, may not feel good to take a lower than your average score, but it could well make you stronger in the long term! ;-)

It's all very well people saying what a great shoot it was,But for a lot of entrant's who come to hit as many clay's as they can, you can guarantee after two or three weeks of having there scores plummet they are going to go elsewhere.We all know how passionate Steve is about his targets, but he is still in it to make a living,so unless Steve has got some plan up his sleeve make the most of it while it last's.
Pretty sure we all go to " Hit as many clays as we can " if you don't push your boundaries you will never improve, but as you say people will vote with their feet. For me though, I get much more satisfaction breaking some really testing targets, and also missing a few than I would from 6 or 7 straights on the card.

Been trying new shoots further away went to westfeild for the 120 esp a month or so ago! Saw targets there Iv never seen at distance and speeds ! First 1/4 was terrible but then I got the hang of things and ended really well.

Hit only 1% below my average so I was really pleased as I learnt a hell of a lot.

Now shot Weston wood shot my averageand four counties last weekend that I shot above my average and I believe that was only because I shot those other shoots and learnt a lot from the targets, as there very different from in kent and East Sussex! Just 2 far to go to each weekend down there!

Keep up the good work:)

Wow , thats kicked the wasps nest then !!!!

firstly thanks for all the kind comments and we have also had a hell of alot on text and email .the only difference i think on sunday was there was probably 2 less in fill stands where any one can go and hit them all . it also goes to prove that you dont need horrible edge on clays to make a shoot a tad harder just careful placing of the traps will do or as my ex good friend clayclouter pointed out they must of all fell off in the correct place this sunday !!!

but one important thing i will say is some people were telling me on sunday morning that shoots need to be alot harder and maybe , just maybe they are correct but i dont think many of them went home as happy as what they would have if they had hit a 94 !!!

i think richards 95 was sheer brilliance on sunday as was chris biddlecombs 118 two weeks before but i tend not to worry too much about the high guns i want to keep the mass of the crowd happy and i dont think we do a bad job of that .

another comment which was raised about fitasc being alot harder , utter tosh its all about entertaining and good combinations in the doubles that makes a good fitasc shoot not eye sight tests at 70 yards , just my opinion 

Too many people are used to shooting soft shoots, hence when shooters come to Westfield,windrush or Westonwood they see good targets with good back grounds.
Too many grounds are flat and lifeless covered in conifers.

I don't think people will stop shooting Westfield if Steve makes the targets more testing,most shooters like to be tested ,

It puts them in good stead for the major comps and inter county comps ,before anyone says not all shooters have the ability

To shoot these comps , I don't see the entry's for c and b class any lower at these comps , keep em coming steve

I dont think its necessarily  the firmness of the targets at shoots, more often than not  its not the firm targets where we lose our scores, its not concentrating on the easy/soft ones that trips us up. Well it does me anyway

I am at best an average but enthusiastic shooter. I have never been to a shoot at Weston/Westfields/Windrush and come away thinking well that was a waste of time, I have often cursed Mr Lovatt for being  a sadistic son of  a wotsit especially when he has been standing behind me whilst shooting and  laughing his head off!! The real acid test is do the punters come back, have they enjoyed the challenge? Well yes they obviously do because no matter what comments are posted on here about any of Steves shoots when you go to the next one if you dont arrive early try getting bloody parked !!!

As a relative newbie to shooting reg comps, I've only shot at Windrush and Westfield (x2). Have to say, even though I didn't hit a lot I still really enjoyed it and enjoyed the challenge. The reputation for tough targets won't put me off going, always good to take yourself out of your comfort zone when looking to improve....

hi chippy i dont know if i know you or not but what did you hit and what class are you in , just really interested on peoples scores 

Latest posts

Back