Local Ground For Local People 🤣

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm afraid that most people go shooting on a Sunday, if we were to switch to Saturday instead we wouldn't be anywhere near as busy. We did try opening Saturdays as well for a year but it wasn't worth while. I'd like to open only when the weather is good so I wouldn't have to try and put a shoot on in a gale but that wouldn't work either!
Very much the same thinking as our local club. As previous poster have stated on a Sunday we all go to our local club that only opens on a Sunday. Cheap and great fun. If we go in the week we go to commercial grounds 👍🏼

I totally understand why Sunday mornings became the favourite option. Many grounds must have their origins back in the 80's or so. Back then, shops were shut,very little else going on and society was different in working practices. However today everything is different, there are so many other things happening on Sunday to attract people's time.

Sunday is still a good time to operate a ground, I accept that. However it would be nice for one or two to refuse to follow the others like sheep and be a little different and more enterprising. I am sure with a little bit of effort a niche slot could be developed. It would not grow straight away, but as shooters became aware it would slowly build and a strong loyal customer base would develop.

As an example I know a ground in yorks that was always closed on Thursdays. One day he decided to put on an open and within less than four hours he was full with 80entries. You also have Churchills up at Masham. They do a cheap day Monday and it is now developing as a very popular day day for many shooters.

Been to Sycamore a good few times amazing ground great birds and the view is hard to beat. Only time we seem to go is when the weather is poor though which is always more fun with the wind coming up the valley making it rain from below 🤣
Sycamore has its own micro climate, last Sunday couldn't see your hand in front of your face for freezing fog yet just 5 mins drive was T shirt and shorts weather.

I am surprised that the vast majority of grounds around us that are closed Mondays. I totally get the day off after the weekend etc but you would think one or two would work out that opening Monday and closing Tuesday or Wednesday might work. I'm no retail expert however !!!

One thing all these little grounds seem to have in common is that they believe shooters come out of hibernation at 10am Sunday morning and then by 1pm disappear once more, till the following week
The shooting fraternity has got much older and there are many retired around, plus many of the younger generation live in a world that's 24/7.
Personally I think many are missing a trick, they are all competing against each other. There are many shooters out there who may find it difficult to fit into a rigid 3 hour time slot on one day per week.
Being retired myself, 7 years plus now, I'd love a venue to open more that was closer.
Its generally down to running costs, the chap who runs Sycamore for example is legally allowed 24/7. However he works full time and Sunday is his rest day. He gets there around 0700 to set up and open for 0930. First shots at 1000 to keep the locals friendly, timed with the church bells. By 1300 he's empty no more callers. He takes and puts everything away. Gets away between 1530 - 1600. He's worked (and his staff) a busy 8 - 9 shift on his rest day. No idea of his take home pay but I guess its more of a vocational wage than anything.
In summer evenings he runs Tuesday evening shoots, DTL & Sporting (his early finish day?), sometimes struggles to make the cost other than us older guys that always turn up.

The other local runs only every 2nd Sunday as it can't get members or cover costs.

There was a third, at Load Brook, another first class shoot but not enough people turn up to cover his outlay.

I generally shoot twice to three times a week, but if I had to shoot 7 days to keep a venue open I'd soon go bust along with the owners. There's not enough money or people interested.

Sycamore has its own micro climate, last Sunday couldn't see your hand in front of your face for freezing fog yet just 5 mins drive was T shirt and shorts weather.
Yes it is such an odd place regarding the weather. When we went last it was a brisk winters day with the sun trying to make an effort to warm you through your coat everywhere else. Go through the gates at the ground and the rain was coming up the valley side like hailstones. Clays would on occasion come out of the trap and just float in mid air before dropping out of the sky like a stone 😂 it is an amazing place to shoot though the views are unbelievable

Yes it is such an odd place regarding the weather. When we went last it was a brisk winters day with the sun trying to make an effort to warm you through your coat everywhere else. Go through the gates at the ground and the rain was coming up the valley side like hailstones. Clays would on occasion come out of the trap and just float in mid air before dropping out of the sky like a stone 😂 it is an amazing place to shoot though the views are unbelievable
I've literally just come from Churchill at Masham, there was me and one other bloke shooting. Good weather so thats not the reason, maybe because it was practice only. I don't think they would cover the wages today.

I've literally just come from Churchill at Masham, there was me and one other bloke shooting. Good weather so thats not the reason, maybe because it was practice only. I don't think they would cover the wages today.
I think that’s why in my experience the Sunday only clubs tend to be cheaper where as the corporate grounds have to make up for the poor days by being more expensive. Obviously corporate grounds tend to be bigger have more facilities etc too. But some amount of the cost has to towards the day 3 to 5 people who work there daily when no one is shooting

Last edited:
I think that’s why in my experience the Sunday only clubs tend to be cheaper where as the corporate grounds have to make up for the poor days by being more expensive. Obviously corporate grounds tend to be bigger have more facilities etc too. But some amount of the cost has to towards the day 3 to 5 people who work there daily when no one is shooting
I often find that I'm a lone shooter mid week when I visit a venue whilst away in my caravan. I usually run through a slab without seeing anyone but ground workers or maybe another pensioner.
Bad for the ground but good for my practice.
On several occasions at differant grounds I've been asked by either the owner or trap setters to trial a new stand and to contribute by asking for it to made harder or easier. Very good for practice as each bird is differant yet similar untill it's impossible then it's about right to be tweaked for a big competition. 😀

I often find that I'm a lone shooter mid week when I visit a venue whilst away in my caravan. I usually run through a slab without seeing anyone but ground workers or maybe another pensioner.
Bad for the ground but good for my practice.
On several occasions at differant grounds I've been asked by either the owner or trap setters to trial a new stand and to contribute by asking for it to made harder or easier. Very good for practice as each bird is differant yet similar untill it's impossible then it's about right to be tweaked for a big competition. 😀
Sounds great fun. As you say though not brilliant for the ground but I think that the slightly higher prices reflect the times that they are open and not busy or not covering costs. Where as smaller grounds tend to only open when the likelihood is that they will be busy.

Back