The "new" Power Blue

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to recall that some were complaining about the recoil of Superfarts, not too long ago. Have they changed the loading too  ?  The ones that I am using seem to be the same as they have always been. 
" Superfarts " that reminds me how you doing Keith ? 😆

I'd imagine they were the new version as well. I don't think I'll bother trying them and just stick with superfasts. I wish they'd never changed the original loading.

PM.
Express have a habit of doing that, years ago supercomps were an absolutely outstanding shell, right money and lovely and smooth, loads of people shot them (20 to 25 years ago). Then express decided to change the recipe and they were as punchy as hell, popularity fell right off and virtually disappeared from the Market. Why they have to change such a winning shell was beyond me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Express have a habit of doing that, years ago supercomps were an absolutely outstanding shell, right money and lovely and smooth, loads of people shot them (20 to 25 years ago). Then express decided to change the recipe and they were as punchy as hell, popularity fell right off and virtually disappeared from the Market. Why they have to change such a winning shell was beyond me.
All the manufacturers seem to be capable of that !!! 

Yes your right, I remember using supercomps when I first started shooting, the gun club I belonged to ( crynant) used to take a transit van up to the factory and load up with everything the members wanted, and then they were cheap too, £75 or £80 a thousand.

Yes your right, I remember using supercomps when I first started shooting, the gun club I belonged to ( crynant) used to take a transit van up to the factory and load up with everything the members wanted, and then they were cheap too, £75 or £80 a thousand.
I started shooting in around 93-94 as a teenager. I set off on the express 24 gram HV in a light green case, absolutely superb shell, no recoil, cheap and quick to go with it. Think the 24 gram HV were about £80 and the supercomps my dad used were about £90 a thousand. Think the supercomps changed around the late 90s when my dad stopped using them and they were around £105 a thousand then.

couldnt agree more , supersmooth (they were) cracking and good /fair price compared at that time then some one in their infinate wisdom changed it all..

I shot some at the AGL express masters. Plas wad I assume. Horrible recoil. Yuk. 
Your thoughts Will? Written by a fan of Express!

20210529_214839.jpg

The article above was written by Drennan Kenderine in Clayshooter magazine explaining the depths he goes to in cartridge tests. He then tests the new Power Blue in no depth whatsoever!

PM.

View attachment 8647

The article above was written by Drennan Kenderine in Clayshooter magazine explaining the depths he goes to in cartridge tests. He then tests the new Power Blue in no depth whatsoever!

PM.
Nonsense. I fully accept that those wooden stands make cartridges louder. They are awful if you’re in the wrong place even as a spectator, but the percussion doesn’t affect how much it kicks the body. 

View attachment 8647

PM.
I shot the express masters at AGL 3 or 4 years ago where you had to use the new super comps on the 25 sportrap layout out of a bucket in the stand, it was out in the open and they still kicked like a mule. Absolute nonsense.

The “ old”  Power Blue was a dog of a cartridge . The  nonsense from the magazine above about perceived recoil reminded me why I don’t read product reviews anymore .

Here’s a real test . Three of us turn up at a sim day .  Boxes of Power Blue and Oly Blue are ripped and tipped into  cartridge bags as a mix . One was nice and smooth to shoot , the other kicked and was comparatively unpleasant  whilst offering no better performance .  With someone stuffing your gun with up to 50 shells in a  10 minute drive you don’t get to see what’s in the chamber , but you can tell which is which as soon as the gun goes bang .  

The “ old”  Power Blue was a dog of a cartridge . The  nonsense from the magazine above about perceived recoil reminded me why I don’t read product reviews anymore .

Here’s a real test . Three of us turn up at a sim day .  Boxes of Power Blue and Oly Blue are ripped and tipped into  cartridge bags as a mix . One was nice and smooth to shoot , the other kicked and was comparatively unpleasant  whilst offering no better performance .  With someone stuffing your gun with up to 50 shells in a  10 minute drive you don’t get to see what’s in the chamber , but you can tell which is which as soon as the gun goes bang .  
I was shooting the Olympic blue in plas wad until a month or so ago and were a lovely and smooth cartridge. Got a slab of the fibres for a local shoot and couldn't believe the difference, really punchy, couldn't wait to get shut of them.

I found the same with fibre wad Olympic blues , couldnt even finish a box let alone a slab

I find this an interesting debate, I have shot the original Power Blues and have not found them to be excessively punchy !

We all have different comfort thresholds for managing or esperiencing the effects of recoil ,so it is very important to find a cartridge that you like and does the job for you .

Express famously made a cartridge that was adored by Trap shooters,  Express World Cup. I only had to shoot a box of 25 and they gave me a headache .

Hull manufacture the CompX in variuos shot loads from 21 gram to 28 gram , all super soft and comfortable to shoot , but they have never filled me with confidence , even though I break clays with them I just do not feel comfortable with them .

I do have to comment that Lyalvale Express have always had a  (bad?) reputation for manufacturing thumpy cartridges , but there is a young Hampshire lad who never seems to complain about them , and he gets the job done .

Maybe , due to the problems we are having with imports from Europe the cartridge manufacturers can not always acquire exactly what components they want from the Italian / Spanish  manufacturers so they may have to mix and match components to satisfy production runs, and remember the customers will never know as they are gullible enough to put up with price increases for no apparent reason, so what they don't know will not hurt them although the recoil might.  

Back