Steel, Do You Or Don't You?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried Victory 24gm and for me they have too much recoil, I prefer 24gm Express High Velocity.

Regarding patterns the best trap cartridges use the best shot do they not, chilled shot patterns very well.Most Olympic Trap cartridges are good but you tend to get what you pay for but I would not pay £200 per thousand, but if you want to win you really need to shoot what the winners shoot.

Sorry forgot about the steel thread...No I would not want to shoot it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it did start as a thread about steel for skeet, up close and personal ;)

I shot 17500 steel last year and at £74 saved per thou that meant A LOT of practice birds for free is the way I look at it.

Jon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jon to be honest I do not see why anyone would not want to shoot it at skeet for those savings!!! If skeet was my main discipline and steel was not banned on the skeet grounds I would be shooting it!!! ;-)

Glen.

Hahahahahahahahaha it is like the question of what does driving on the clutch do over a period of time.......... Or driving with the handbrake on............eventually a repair will be needed depending on how good your motor is......... Hahahahahahahahaha

This is a time thingy for those who do not mind.

Good luck.....hope you do not get barrel bulges etc etc etc .

As all my guns are 3/4 and full I will not be touching the stuff.

Ring bulging is only experienced on non steel proofed barrels or using over 12 choke.

Now, as for wear the shot is contained in a plastic shot cup, the same as lead is it not? quite where the *additional* wear is coming from unless steel shells have super tough specially abrasive shot cups ;)

Fully agree with 34 and full you don't want to go anywhere near steel :)

Jon.

Really no 3/4 and Full even if steel proofed? Why? I am!!! Boom Boom balls of dust!!! :D :D

When I manage to bulge the barrels I will let you know!!! :eek: :eek:

Well it did start as a thread about steel for skeet, up close and personal ;)

I shot 17500 steel last year and at £74 saved per thou that meant A LOT of practice birds for free is the way I look at it.

Jon.

17500 in one year!!!!!!!!!!!! That's about twelve years worth for me :eek:

That was for skeet, overall total was about 21500 but not going back to that level.

Jon.

jeez 3.5k on shells for the year, I dont even count mine, would scare me :.:

I thought you must be getting yours loaded with real diamond shot Les :lol: :.:

Just did some adding up and I reckon I've done 3k on clays since the end of october :eek: 1300 reg targets, a couple of goes on the churchill handicap, a couple of lessons and straw balers plus another 250 odd on game and woodies. soon adds up. down to my last 40 odd so a another cartridge run needed at the weekend :(

Latest posts

Back