Sporting shoots. Your personal accounts. 2022

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honesberie also. Nice to see you Will. They have worked very hard to establish this shoot over the years. And for me it's about spot on. The refs are now good and they seem to retain more of them. Kim is an absolute delight and makes the shoot run super smooth. Few silly misses today and also didn't touch the crosser on 3. As Will said didn't  set the world on fire today but shot my average ........

Keep it up Honesberie. 

Jasper. 

Honesberie for me too. 76 which I will accept. Stand 9 and the R-L crosser was my bogey bird and quite a lot of inconsistency. My first time out this year.

I second (or perhaps third etc) all those who have said how nice a place it is too shoot. I turned up on my own and ended up with two guys from Portsmouth (Nick & Neil) who were excellent company. The course was well set and each stand a taxing pleasure.

Honesberie for me too. 76 which I will accept. Stand 9 and the R-L crosser was my bogey bird and quite a lot of inconsistency. My first time out this year.

I second (or perhaps third etc) all those who have said how nice a place it is too shoot. I turned up on my own and ended up with two guys from Portsmouth (Nick & Neil) who were excellent company. The course was well set and each stand a taxing pleasure.
The longer L-r target on 9 I shot second. I missed it first time as it needed quite a lot of lead, bottom right. 

Gatton Bottom again today, mainly because I had money to collect so it was effectively a free shoot. Fewer eyesight tests today, although there was still a fairly edgy battue on Stand 2. Almost every target was going away. I think only 5 out of 22 targets weren't going away in some form. Doubt I'll be seeing any winnings today in ladies, lots of top shots present, so my 82 won't cut it. At least that means I won't feel obliged to go to the next one.

ETA. As expected Cheryl Hall shot a 96.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coleys today, looked like it would rain, didnt, at first felt chilly, soon warmed up enough. Disaster start on St1 as trap went down, it was on a tower, hoist then failed due to its location this meant St1-St3 down. After awaiting half hour the decision was whilst repairs underway we all had to start on St4-12 then back to 1-3. For a premier plus ground the mechanical failures that blight just about every reg are not on really. Shoot wise, not too shy to say overall I found it tough, few daft repeated errors on some, missed a few “on end of barrell” green grasshoppers but my did I struggle on some big crossers, was underchoked is my excuse, simply not good enough the reality. 
High Gun was Steve Lovatt 92 when I left, a few more big boys n girls still to come in, target wise it was more a day for the 7.5s than 9s

Coleys today, looked like it would rain, didnt, at first felt chilly, soon warmed up enough. Disaster start on St1 as trap went down, it was on a tower, hoist then failed due to its location this meant St1-St3 down. After awaiting half hour the decision was whilst repairs underway we all had to start on St4-12 then back to 1-3. For a premier plus ground the mechanical failures that blight just about every reg are not on really. Shoot wise, not too shy to say overall I found it tough, few daft repeated errors on some, missed a few “on end of barrell” green grasshoppers but my did I struggle on some big crossers, was underchoked is my excuse, simply not good enough the reality. 
High Gun was Steve Lovatt 92 when I left, a few more big boys n girls still to come in, target wise it was more a day for the 7.5s than 9s
Had too many shoots on this week so Coleys got the chop for me. Sounds like a decent choice, especially with the 3 hour round trip. 

Coleys for us too, it’s my birthday tomorrow so I’ve had the week off, stayed in Burford so not a long drive this morning, then staying tonight and Churchill’s on way home tomorrow. Luckily we started only slightly late due to the breakdowns and with so many people not turning up a few of us that only had 2 in the squad all got put into 1 squad which worked well.  Was going very well (straightened std 7 I think it was) the very fast l-r chondel and high r-l and was chuffed to bits then got to stand 8 and only hit 1.  Just didn’t read it well at all but saying that nobody in our squad shot it well.  9-11 had some real tasty long targets and shot them ok then 12 a pair of simo  floppy going away and dropped 1.  Ended up on 75 which I was pleased with but there were a few that slipped away.  

E J Churchill’s today and back to having a ref take you round which was nice. Started well, then stand 5, a 5/10 on the first simo pair which hurt, stand 8 the second sim pair, first in and again struggled, 6/10.  8/8 on next 2 stands then the pit area ☹️  Just couldn’t see the r-l blaze dropping into the pit and a 3/8.  Came back to have an 8/8 on last stand.  Ended up on 80 which happy with as some consistency showing now but get frustrated at targets you cannot see.  Then looking at scores it was showing a 77 so looked at the photo I took of my card and yes, I’d scored 80 so phone call later and they checked and changed the scores.  This has happened so many times so luckily I had proof.  Enjoyable shoot and a mixture of fast/slow, high/low, nice ref too which makes a difference. 

Churchill’s  for me too.   Good shoot, few orange I struggled with. Good company eased the pain of shooting it like a tw*t.  Nice to see Donna and Jenny there. 

Good to see you too Sian, sorry I didn't bump into you Donna.

I was shooting pretty well, even the sim pairs weren't a complete disaster (6 and 8). Finished stand 9 having dropped a total of 12. Started thinking, 'you're on for the mid-80s today' which promptly put the kibosh on any chance of that. Chucked away 8 on stands 10 and 11, before straighting 12. Finished on 80, but another opportunity for a really good score wasted.

Shot Owls today, lovely weather, excellent company.  Score was doodoo.

Grange farm today. 

Only the second time Ive shot here and I found it very hard in places. Think it'll be my lowest score so far. 

Took 3hrs to get round, which the wife who I dragged along was not impressed with. Especially as she doesn't share the same passion for the sport. 

Honesbiere next week, looking forward to that. 

Barrow today for the super sporting. Started about 12.30 and it was fairly quiet compared to the normal sporting.  10 stands of 10 targets, A, B and C. First 4 o/r last pair a simo.  2 stands where all 5 pairs were simo.  

Excellent targets, nothing that was stupidly hard (ie can’t get to both simo pairs). Took about 3 stands for us both to get our heads round the set up but thoroughly enjoyed it. A right mixture of targets and only 1 target I never hit.

So, my question is - on a normal registered sporting, if you are at the stand and someone is shooting, you are supposed to be watching the targets as you don’t get to see them again - is it the same for super sporting??  Only questioning this as on a few stands no one was there so we got to see each target ONCE and they don’t show simo pairs, I’m fine with that but as has happened at a fair few shoots I’ve been to, a “top/well known” shooter was behind us and at every stand asked to see the targets several times after we had shot and was shown them.  On stand 3 which were all simo pairs, I hit first target out looked for 2nd target and it had gone so target lost which is the rules and I’m ok with that, it was my fault for looking in wrong place but stand 12 all simo pairs and the same person after watching both of us shoot, asked to see all targets again, then a certain simo pair (which was hard) they asked to see that twice to determine which way to shoot them then called pull, didn’t shoot as said they were looking at wrong target and got given the pair again which they then hit!  On the same stand same person hit first target, waited for wrong 2nd target didn’t shoot and broke their gun and shot pair again.  That’s 3 targets gained on one stand.  This has happened at Owls when doing a sport trap, a well known shot on our squad called for a simo pair, was waiting for wrong pair but got given them again.  That has never happened to me! I’ve always accepted its my fault and try to concentrate more.  So, do top or well known shots get given a bit of leniency? They shouldn’t but on quite a few shoots I’ve been to in the last year they seem to.  

Whinge over, great shoot, will definitely do super sporting again but it does infuriate me!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back