Sporting shoots. Your personal accounts. 2022

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunsite today, don’t think my shooting is decent enough 🙃 to have gone to the England Selection Shoot at Westfield which is a closer ground for me, sorry Steve. Lucky for me bumped into a couple of chums so not on Tod. It’s a place I’ve not found “easy” as some and today was no different, of the twelve stands had a mare on four, two of which were simo where I could still be there now etc, the rest of the shoot went well and no not a tree ripped up but enough positives to 🙂 about, felt a bit “one day Rodders one day”

HG was Nick Portlock on 94 when I left. Did see, on a scoreboard the full prize 💷 breakdown 👍

Westfield for me, and it was a great shoot. I’ve found a touch of form of late and was very pleased with 85 on that course. 

Halfway up the hill, on the corner, there was a decent battue with a green R-L crosser. I hit the first crossed but then didn’t touch another. Very clever. When we walked up the hill a bit you could see it was actually doing something very different than it looked in the cage!

Barby yesterday. 

Good mixture of targets, only found 1 target which I couldn't get at least one hit on. Quartering looper, after talking to the squad sounds like I was giving it far to much leed.

Didn't rain till the last stand(which they are undercover) so only got wet walking back to the car.

Another enjoyable shoot at Barby

Got the gun out of the cabinet yesterday morning and found a crack 2" long on the head of the stock. So I took my old gun to barrow heath and shot a 95, it wasn't a hard round 3 x 97s high. But 95 is my joint personal best so it must be new gun syndrome 😄
I did similar when forced to use my old Perazzi recently. Weird. It soon became unloved in subsequent shoots..

Honesbiere on Friday and Westfield s today. Great weather, even put shorts on on Friday, first for the year!

Honesbiere was good, one very difficult rabbit that I didn't see get hit. It was a bit of a distance away, did it lots of leed ?, no leed as it slowed down? Unsure on that one.

Westfield was enjoyable. Very quiet when I turned up but I do like to get there early. Good mixture of targets. Low Green incoming, quartering target on the pond I struggled with(come across this a few times recently)

Definitely being held back on my scores with loopers and chondels. Need to get some practice in on these.

Honesbiere on Friday and Westfield s today. Great weather, even put shorts on on Friday, first for the year!

Honesbiere was good, one very difficult rabbit that I didn't see get hit. It was a bit of a distance away, did it lots of leed ?, no leed as it slowed down? Unsure on that one.

Westfield was enjoyable. Very quiet when I turned up but I do like to get there early. Good mixture of targets. Low Green incoming, quartering target on the pond I struggled with(come across this a few times recently)

Definitely being held back on my scores with loopers and chondels. Need to get some practice in on these.
My mate shot Honesberie and said the rabbit needed a big gap.

I did Westfield today too, my first shoot for a couple of weeks. Very nice weather and a great course I thought. Probably only stand 9 I would call fairly easy, the rest being a good test and there were some good long targets. Felt a bit rusty and missed 5 in first two stands. Then shot fairly well until I had a terrible flinch on that stand 10 over the pond. Smashed first pair then missed first target out every time as just could not pull trigger early enough. Very odd. I’ll blame jet-lag. (Chrisessig the green needed very little lead. I recommend matching its speed with just 10 inches of gap). 

Last two stands were 12 then 11 for us, which both featured a long target. Straighted 12 which was a relief as it was beating most people up. I then missed first pair on stand 11. Had a think, decided to cut back and hit the last six. Phew. Finished on 85, which I wasn’t unhappy with given the flinch stand, plus it wasn’t a doddle shoot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gatton Bottom for me today. First time this year. After a while I forget why I haven't been there recently, then it all comes back when I do go. Daft eyesight test orange edge on quartering away battue and a 5 yard, limited window rabbit were the main reminders. Most targets you just had to shoot at, nothing really needing much of a gap. Dropped 7 on the first half, then the wheels fell off a bit. 74.

Yesterday I shot the 100 open comp at Willow Farm. Not Registered but the targets were so much better than today. Some big gaps needed, making it so much more enjoyable when they broke. 

Gatton Bottom for me today. First time this year. After a while I forget why I haven't been there recently, then it all comes back when I do go. Daft eyesight test orange edge on quartering away battue and a 5 yard, limited window rabbit were the main reminders. Most targets you just had to shoot at, nothing really needing much of a gap. Dropped 7 on the first half, then the wheels fell off a bit. 74.

Yesterday I shot the 100 open comp at Willow Farm. Not Registered but the targets were so much better than today. Some big gaps needed, making it so much more enjoyable when they broke. 
Yeah, as a I sat in the car after a testing but majestic Westfield, I did think “we could have wasted a day at Horne instead”. 

Westfield also, weather wise a lovely day which needed a pullover as did get a bit chilly at times ( one is old & frail ) Now for a plodder I had good day out and apart from missing all four incoming green pond skimmers found enough of most, even the bigger targets that for me needed a gap. Not an earth shattering score, but not a slap down that Ive oft got there either. HG was shared on 94 when I left, out with chums had a good cup of tea, good scorers and good / fair targets, so yes a decent day all told. 

We went to a little shoot our friend sets the targets for (Cobham gun club) as it was their last ever shoot yesterday. Been loads of times and it’s nice and relaxed, which is what we needed, some good targets and we went for a really decent Sunday roast afterwards. After I spent 2 + hours trying to get home on Thursday from work (30 miles) we really weren’t in the mood for sitting in traffic all weekend!  I have the first week in May off so looking at the calendar for that week I’ve lots of choices to make! 

First time shooting at Westfield for a long time. Nice targets so absolutely no complaints about the set up, but I'm struggling a bit with my first ever prescription glasses. The straight shots and the more technical ones are okay. I had no problem with the green frog, the teals or the flying rabbit for example so I'm seeing things well. The trouble is with crossers where I seem to be over leading the nearer ones and under leading the long ones.

Strange as I've never really had problems with crossing targets but it killed my card... so it's back to basics and relearn to shoot presumably. 

First time shooting at Westfield for a long time. Nice targets so absolutely no complaints about the set up, but I'm struggling a bit with my first ever prescription glasses. The straight shots and the more technical ones are okay. I had no problem with the green frog, the teals or the flying rabbit for example so I'm seeing things well. The trouble is with crossers where I seem to be over leading the nearer ones and under leading the long ones.

Strange as I've never really had problems with crossing targets but it killed my card... so it's back to basics and relearn to shoot presumably. 
I’ve been through this John.  It was severe when I first wore prescription. Main problem is with the magnification, clays are further away than they look. But I also suffered with the distraction of seeing the barrel clearly and even became distracted by the clays breaking in to lots of little pieces instead of a blur.

When I have changed to new prescriptions it takes a good 5 shoots to recalibrate. It’s why I am still using an old prescription now; I don’t want to disrupt things. 

Thanks Will that makes sense.

We shot Westfield clockwise, starting at the pond and the first 5 or 6 stands didn't call for much lead. At that stage I was about level with my A class pal, but for all the stands down the valley and the 2 in the carpark almost all the targets needed real lead and that's where my card was killed.

Back