Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really enjoyed my first visit to Weston Wood this morning.  

Finished with 64, shot some of it well and some of it not so well, but what some fantastic targets Steve put on.  I don't think a single target was a real gimme.

Going back there over and over again will only make me a better shooter.

Really enjoyed my first visit to Weston Wood this morning.  

Finished with 64, shot some of it well and some of it not so well, but what some fantastic targets Steve put on.  I don't think a single target was a real gimme.

Going back there over and over again will only make me a better shooter.
Didnt realise it was your first time there Dan. Good ground isn't it. And never as easy as some of the top blokes make it seem..

Had a bit of a shocker today at Weston; managed to finish on 58 but felt like it was a fight to get that. Last visit was 73 so certainly a drop today.

The cold and long waits on a couple stands broke my concentration a bit. All a part of the learning curve! 

When I left HG was 95. Look forward to seeing the final results.

Very enjoyable morning at Weston Wood. Cold to start but was pleasant by late morning.

People were finding it tough but I had climbed out of the right side of the bed and hit my best Weston score on 91. I had missed 4 on the boardwalk long sim pair (which also cost Martin Myers 3 I think) and was otherwise just missing the odd one. My last stand was up the steps, the pink quartering targets. Smacked the first six then lost one after a slow buttoning. Then I was frustrated and missed the last one too.. Happy overall.

Good to see you in the 90 s will 

Pretty sure my 74 at Greenfields today will come in the 10% rule and not count  :oops: , happens every now and then but just had an absolute mare coupled to some fairly obviously over-cooked stands (all of them pretty much) but it's a while since I've had three 5's and a 6 ! 

One or two I think lost their cards or suffered gun breakdowns midway, Mr. Howland was leading on 86 when I left and I was tied second :eek: with a brace of 66 in AA as well  :lol: . It was ard.

Pretty sure my 74 at Greenfields today will come in the 10% rule and not count  :oops: , happens every now and then but just had an absolute mare coupled to some fairly obviously over-cooked stands (all of them pretty much) but it's a while since I've had three 5's and a 6 ! 

One or two I think lost their cards or suffered gun breakdowns midway, Mr. Howland was leading on 86 when I left and I was tied second :eek: with a brace of 66 in AA as well  :lol: . It was ard.
i hear it was an utter nightmare, clays throw towards trees wind getting hold of them and pushing them so hard no chance to even shoot at them!!

I also heard some cards were ermm lost or blown away!!

i hear it was an utter nightmare, clays throw towards trees wind getting hold of them and pushing them so hard no chance to even shoot at them!!

I also heard some cards were ermm lost or blown away!!
I started with a tough stand and never really recovered but while I was shooting it all seemed a bit like mainly my own fault until I got back to see the scores. It's difficult to account for wind I suppose but throwing battues as Teal is a bit much.

Well done Will Hewland a really good score that was today !!!! 

Im hearing more and more these days that shoots were wind affected. !!!!! It ain't rocket science I set the wood up on Wednesday this last week just look at the forecasted wind direction and work with it , ain't no good working against it  in my opinion 

Well done Will Hewland a really good score that was today !!!! 

Im hearing more and more these days that shoots were wind affected. !!!!! It ain't rocket science I set the wood up on Wednesday this last week just look at the forecasted wind direction and work with it , ain't no good working against it  in my opinion 
Cheers Steve. Credit to you, you would not have known it was windy by looking at the targets. It is possible to work around it as you showed. The only one that curled was the massive driven over the pond, but I just waited until it had run out of steam, watched where it blew to and shot it there. (Overled one..). 

it was at least one coat warmer at the bottom of the hill, maybe you had sweat in your eyes.
that was the one stand I left disappointed on, I pride myself on my ability to hit rabbits but I shot 1/8 on that stand! The mini and standard black left to right simo pair at the top of the hill was doing all sorts when I shot it

that was the one stand I left disappointed on, I pride myself on my ability to hit rabbits but I shot 1/8 on that stand! The mini and standard black left to right simo pair at the top of the hill was doing all sorts when I shot it
the mini needed a big gap and the standard needed less than half the mini.very easy to shoot infront of it.

It was a very tough and tricky round at Greenfields , I wonder what was HG .

It was a very tough and tricky round at Greenfields , I wonder what was HG .
86 I heard.. Oh wait.. Sorry, that was on here. Dunno then!

just glad I was at a shoot that was labelled as firm today, but nothing as daft as one where you and Hamid hit those scores..

Last edited by a moderator:
the mini needed a big gap and the standard needed less than half the mini.very easy to shoot infront of it.
mine were like frogger on that stand, jumping around. Still managed 4 so wasn't to depressed! Undecided to shoot highwaymans next weekend or wait and shoot barrow the following week

Went to Horne at Court Farm – first visit here. Sun was out but was still cold at the top of the hill. Seemed tougher than Gatton but HG was still a 95 although 2nd place was 90 so a bit of a gap. I started well on the rabbit but had a few crappy stands to finish on a 62 which was disappointing. I am not one to berate the refs but the scoring was consistently bad  to the point that one of our group was watching each score marked. At least 5 incorrect losses and one other that was a chip + one I only noticed they had scored wrong after I had walked away from the stand. I don’t recall any of the refs calling losses.

Still a good day out. Glad we got there early as the top of the car park where it was grass and mud was proving tricky. Watched a VW Tiguan trying to park up on the grass and slid all over the place and give up. Then Mr Discovery comes in as to say no problem for me and was even worse.

Stopped in at Oxford Gun Company on the way home from Winchester to Sussex today. Shot their 'February Challenge' a cadied 100 sporting round. Shot with a young lad 'Don' who carded an impressive 86. Nice smooth swing and typical confidence of youth!  Reffed by Jeff. Some very close in stuff. One humungous teal a looong way out and a fast quartering away midi that I heard giggling as it escaped most of my attemps to tag it. 78 x100 a lot better than I have been shooting recently so I'm happy.

Nice club tucked just outside Oxford., closed wednesdays but well worth a visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back