Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the FITASC at Southdown today. Very good shoot, although it was almost all long crossers and loopers. I rarely shoot FSP and was so out of it at the start, dropping 10 targets on the first two hoops, before straighting the third. Then our second Parcours was just plain tough, so that didn't go well either.

A better end to the day, with a couple of 22's. Got going too late though.. Very enjoyable on a cold crisp sunny day. Tired now..
Well shot on your 22's Will. Thought it was a really good shoot.

Horne Church farm today. Snow covering everything but no wind and actually quite pleasant out, not cold at all.

Not very busy at all so my 83 in B class might just ......

Just one stand with 3x8 all the rest 8's, 9's and a couple of straights. 3 or 4 of the stands had eyesight testers on. left to right low crossers against the white backdrop were not easy even given green or orange clays. Stand 3, left to right flying almost exactly along the sight line of a path and hedge had to be watched out of the trap otherwise you'd only see it when it was well away to the right and a mustard coloured one going straight away from low and left just dissappeared into the background, get on it early and shoot where it should be worked for most people!

nice morning out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't shot myself, but went with a mate for him to shoot barrow. Didn't seem to busy, nice  targets, something there for everyone today! Thibk my mate shot a 78 which he was disappointed with but, I'm sure HG was 97 when I left. 

Got back from Meadowcroft a short while a go.

Weather down there was dreadful, for someone who doesn't feel the cold I was freezing and that was with plenty of layers on.

Great shoot again though with varied targets and nice to see that they have sorted the track out at the far-end of the shoot.

Finished with 75, started quite well but found myself rushing towards the end of the shoot which cost me a few.  Really pleased to connect with one of the very long purple crossers.

Westfield, found my toys and put them back in the pram but still not found the wheels so no uprooting of trees today ( as if ) bar one stand the 13 stand format ensured no queuing at all, markedly different to my last trek here. quite foggy, bitterly cold in places, really felt for the scorers who in the main looked in need of a cuddle, well one or two of them did, one or two of them needed de-frosting.

Felt it was a good set of targets today, the type where us lower classes always feel that we should have hit them all and when you put together a pair it feels like an achievement not a chore. 

For the first time for many a day I didn't blank a stand, improvement I tell you.

Martyn Myers on 97 when I left, well in front at the time and some "big boys" were still to come in 

Due to the planned comp being cancelled I popped over to Fauxdegla as I was in North Wales.

Loads of snow and bitterly cold! The poor ground staff were actually going round with blowtorches to keep traps operational! 

Only shot 50 sporting practice before my fingers decided they had had enough fun for the day.

ctzK9zc.jpg

My son and I did a 100 Reg today at Sporting Targets (Bedfords) with my friend John Burt.

We were in a team of 6 and the 3 guy's we shot with were from High Lodge (Nr Ipswich).

They were very good shots and all AA Registered.

They gave us some good advice and were very helpful. Their scores were 91, 83 & 72.

I shot a 66 which I was delighted with.

My boy, Ryan (14yrs) shot a 46 and John a 55, so apart from the very cold conditions we were happy bunnies :).

CG Magnus performed well :)

Off to Owls Thursday, on at 2pm a change as in recent months only managed to get on at 10.00 and the first thing in the morning start didn't suit me, or I didn't like it. 

In a squad of some very competent shooters so a learning experience too, (planning it's all in the planning) imagine I'll see a few of you there, shoot is normally sold out and full of cheery faces so a early "hello" to those of you that will be here 

Well that didn't go well.. I would say that was their toughest one for a long while, which I made worse by screwing up two stands that shouldn't have beaten me. A score to forget. A lot of very tricky sim pairs today and I suspect the wind wasn't there when some of it was set up, causing one or two stands to be harder than intended; certainly later in the day. Great crowd of people to chat with and great breakfast to rescue the day a bit.

In a squad of superstars, With all the AAA and AAs it looked more like a companies credit rating than a squad, I lowered the tone. As Will described a tough course, it's not, by some distance the toughest course I have recently tried to conquer, everything had a decent window and the squad of said superstars made for interesting watching as they seemed to have all the time in the world to take each and every target, only for me to find they were express quick and a darn sight harder than I'd given them credit for.

Owls is a tight ground and yes you get presented with a fair number of fast close targets, as a competitor I need to have a technique to deal with them, at present I haven't got one that's anywhere near good enough

just, on FB seen all the scores, the ground owner christened us the "Gloucestershire Mafia"  ( which was plus 1 H&W west country associate) squad, well done to Nick Chipper Portlock 92 winning High Gun, Julian Morris 87, Lee Newman 80 and Kev Childs 77, we won't talk about me, 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back