Sporting shoots 2023. How was it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
East of England today, little bit blustery to make it a bit variable in places, shoot average 74, managed to scrape a few past that but not my finest day with the gun, it was a very enjoyable round, the squadding worked perfectly, recommend the trip to the middle of knowhere if you've never been.

Bisley for the reg sporting for us, seemed like it took forever to finish (nearly 3 hours) and got a bit fed up towards the end! Shot ok, finished on a 77 which would’ve put me joint first but yet again, my scores and another person in our squad have not been put on the Cpsa website. The other two in our squad have 🤔🤔 and I handed them in all together. Anyway, have learnt to take photos of all our cards now so the missing ones have been emailed to their office!

Bisley for the reg sporting for us, seemed like it took forever to finish (nearly 3 hours) and got a bit fed up towards the end! Shot ok, finished on a 77 which would’ve put me joint first but yet again, my scores and another person in our squad have not been put on the Cpsa website. The other two in our squad have 🤔🤔 and I handed them in all together. Anyway, have learnt to take photos of all our cards now so the missing ones have been emailed to their office!
I’m in Italy on holiday, so sad to miss the rare opportunity. My mate won on 95 though!

Gun site today for my first registered in just over 3 years. Finished on a 77 so pretty pleased with that despite a poor start on both stands 11 and 12 with four ex eight on both.

I shot the Bisley Reg sporting too and found it to be a shoot of two halves :) I dropped perhaps a couple up to the stand at the far end left (quartering away and quartering in) which was also OK, next stand is where it started to go wrong, it had a floaty right to left where I dropped all four, didn't do too well on the tower with three out of four missed, also one or two teal on the same stand, dropped four L to R crossers on the driven stand and dropped three rabbits in the snake pit, a bit of a disaster! Nevertheless we had a good squad, a really nice bunch of lads and I hope to run into some of them again. Finished on 78

Last edited:
I saw on FB another class winner also only got £27! No high gun prize and they were only putting £3 of the entry fee into the prize fund.

This is why a lot of people are doing targets only at certain grounds.

Last edited:
Surely you should at least get your entry fee back if you win the shoot 😮

I did birds only but it was still £50

We heard that there was an issue on one of the stands (two incomers on report) maybe stand 6? the guy shooting was only one down, he was in the process of shooting when there was a radio exchange between the scorer and someone else. The shooter complained, hit the next two birds then missed the next one. He blamed the scorer, there was a huge fuss over the use of the radio that we only came in at the end of. I don't know how or if it was resolved but it was a major hoo-ha! allegedly

Last edited:
I did birds only but it was still £50

There was an issue on one of the stands (two incomers on report) maybe stand 6? the guy shooting was only one down, he was in the process of shooting when there was a radio exchange between the scorer and someone else. The shooter complained, hit the next two birds then missed the next one. He blamed the scorer, there was a huge fuss over the use of the radio that we only came in at the end of. I don't know how or if it was resolved but it was a major hoo-ha!
Interesting !!.... All of my refs are issued with 2 way radios BUT are turned off exactly for this reason & others ....
The ref only turns it on when he has to use it, therefore showing respect to each competitor & keeping distractions & unwanted background interference to a minimum !!

Regarding entry costs, it was a county championship & am guessing the levy was charged at £3 per entrant ?

Enjoyable round at Barrow, some deceptive targets that all appeared straight forward but easy to miss if complacent, shoot average was 74, which again felt about right. I felt I shot poorly dropping too many singles combined with a general lack of talent today, still nice weather and enjoyed the round, just felt there were several more there for me today, some credit to the course setter of course.

Also shot Barrow and dropped random 1s and 2s all the way around, as well as a few random pairs. I actual felt I was shooting quite a lot of it fairly well, but I just can't seem to find any sort of consistency at all at the moment. Finished 1 below the shoot average.

Barbury on a very sweaty day today. Great to see MartinJ and Donna from here.

A worthy course as ever, with several very tricky sim pairs. No real card fillers. Well, the one I thought was simple cost me two losses. 😅. I missed last target on stand 5 due to being peppered with shot, but failed to complain enough to get a distraction call. Might have pushed it harder if I’d realised that would eventually cost me a 90.. was glad to hit all the rabbits, considering one of them spent much of its run in hiding..

Barbury too for us and was great to see Will and highlights of my day were shooting with MartinJ and a cuddle from the lovely Fred. Apart from that nothing much to say apart from the fact I shot so bad it was unbelievable! Started well then wheels fell off.

As Will stated it was unbearably hot, sticky and sweaty and I couldn’t concentrate on anything. Had my hold/kill points sorted then got in and nothing went or felt right, on one sim pair with the fast overhead I kept forgetting it was a sim and I’m looking for the overhead and it was gone 🤦‍♀️🫣 Honestly to see me shoot today you’d have thought I’d never picked a gun up in my life!

My only gripe with targets today was stand 11 the pair of blaze rabbits, first one I could see but the second one being short I could only really see it the last second as it cleared from behind the mound. Phil being colour blind with the blazes struggled to see both.

Barbury too. Thought the weather was lovely and warm but then I did live in Australia for 2 and half years.

Shot with Richard59's usual chums Nick, Kev and Tim. Saw Donna and Phil from a distance and met Will going into the loo as I was leaving.

Shot the first 8 stands fairly well and straighted 6 & 7 but then the dreaded brain fog started and the last 4 didn't go well apart from the rabbit stand where I hit 6 ex 8. Enjoyed the day though and I've decided I quite like Barbury, so may book for the SSP in a couple of weeks.

Barbury too. Thought the weather was lovely and warm but then I did live in Australia for 2 and half years.

Shot with Richard59's usual chums Nick, Kev and Tim. Saw Donna and Phil from a distance and met Will going into the loo as I was leaving.

Shot the first 8 stands fairly well and straighted 6 & 7 but then the dreaded brain fog started and the last 4 didn't go well apart from the rabbit stand where I hit 6 ex 8. Enjoyed the day though and I've decided I quite like Barbury, so may book for the SSP in a couple of weeks.
looks like Barbury was popular today, I had the pleasure of shooting on the same squad as Donna (without the fish) so we met at last, also bumped into Will, it was like a Shoot clay forum outing. The weather got hotter as the day progressed and I found myself seeking out every spot of shade. The first couple of stands went well as Donna Said, but it didn't last, I dropped 2 on stand 3 then 4 on stand 4 which had the first long target. Then dropped ones and twos apart from losing 5/10 on stand 8 which was the Sim overhead that Donna mentioned. Nearest thing to a card filler was stand 7 with on report R to L loopers.
You could say that stand 10 was cow affected, I'm sure it didn't look like it when the course setter left, but the cows decided to walk past while we were there. If the further target was 40 yards I'd say the nearest cows were behind at 80 yards range so I chose to take the further target this side of a hump to the left. Same thing on stand 12, a close up floppy clay needed a bit of care, A to hit it, B to miss the bovines. 'Twas an enjoyable day, I ended up scoring my average give or take and can't complain about that

Also shot Barrow and dropped random 1s and 2s all the way around, as well as a few random pairs. I actual felt I was shooting quite a lot of it fairly well, but I just can't seem to find any sort of consistency at all at the moment. Finished 1 below the shoot average.
I too shot Barrow. Enjoyable and some of which I shot well and some sloppy ones which is so irritating.

Eriswell yesterday before the wet weather arrived, felt the course was fairly straight forward bar a couple of stands although the average of 74 suggests firmer than it looked. My run of mediocre form continues with a couple of stands costing me dearly. British on Friday, current form suggests I don't need to leave Sunday free!

Back