Sporting shoots 2023. How was it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red course today, only a bit of rain here and there but didn’t enjoy it I’m afraid. Nothing wrong with targets just couldn’t get going. Only a four man squad but was glad to finish if I’m honest. Rest tomorrow then back up there Thursday for sportrap in morning and super sporting afternoon. Good luck everyone.

Red course today, only a bit of rain here and there but didn’t enjoy it I’m afraid. Nothing wrong with targets just couldn’t get going. Only a four man squad but was glad to finish if I’m honest. Rest tomorrow then back up there Thursday for sportrap in morning and super sporting afternoon. Good luck everyone.
I actually felt I shot a bit better on the Red Course, but still didn't capitalise on the easier targets. I dropped 3 on Stand 1 and 4 on Stand 3, both of which were relatively straightforward. But then I go and hit two of those monster battues on Stand 2 and straight the driven target that everyone else in the squad struggled with. Hit 7 more than yesterday, but still feel like I should have done better. Oh well, done now.

I was going to shoot the Sportrap tomorrow, but I've cancelled. Doing the Super Sporting on Thursday with a friend and I couldn't face the round trip four days in a row.

(got to shoot with Mr and Mrs Miles of the USA which was an absolute pleasure)
Donna you'll probably be very sad to hear that Gebben & Karen Miles have had almost all their kit stolen in London, including cash, passports, gun permits etc. The thieves didn't steal their guns or dirty laundry.

So many rotten low lifes around these days!

Donna you'll probably be very sad to hear that Gebben & Karen Miles have had almost all their kit stolen in London, including cash, passports, gun permits etc. The thieves didn't steal their guns or dirty laundry.

So many rotten low lifes around these days!
That is so dreadful to hear. It makes me ashamed that it’s happened in our country. I feel so terribly sad for them but at least they didn’t take guns. When I spoke to them they weren’t staying with the team, they wanted to be on their own in an air B&B. Thank you for letting me know.

At least they are safe, things can be replaced, hassle I know but their safety is the main priority.

Last edited:
was going to shoot the Sportrap tomorrow, but I've cancelled. Doing the Super Sporting on Thursday with a friend and I couldn't face the round trip four days in a row
We are off tomorrow too and back on Thursday for sportrap in morning and super sporting in afternoon. We travelled up yesterday morning and stayed at my sister in laws last night as they were only a half hour or so away, but traffic a nightmare coming home tonight.

I shot the prelim today badly but a few colours and those horrid high fence stands which I don’t like. Targets were fine. Lovely squad with 3 Americans including Nicholas Berry who shot very well. Sportrap and first Sporting tomorrow, I’ll be running between the two.

They didn’t add up my score correctly. I’ll be claiming those 2 targets tomorrow. 😂

Has anyone on here shot the Super Sporting yet? I'm there tomorrow and interested to know what the course is like.

Has anyone on here shot the Super Sporting yet? I'm there tomorrow and interested to know what the course is like.
Not yet, also doing it tomorrow. A couple of people I shot with earlier in the week had done it, felt it was a little less brutal than the World Sporting.

Tomorrow (Thursday) for us too, sportrap morning and super sporting afternoon. Must be a glutton for punishment! Looking at scores, agree with Bebo, looks a bit friendlier for us mere mortals 😂😂. Saw a few friends yesterday who had shot it and said it was ok.

Tomorrow (Thursday) for us too, sportrap morning and super sporting afternoon. Must be a glutton for punishment! Looking at scores, agree with Bebo, looks a bit friendlier for us mere mortals 😂😂. Saw a few friends yesterday who had shot it and said it was ok.
Well hopefully it will be a little less brutal than the ESP Registered at Ian Coleys today!

Well hopefully it will be a little less brutal than the ESP Registered at Ian Coleys today!
Am another that went to Coleys, it ripped me a new one would be an appropriate phrase. Entry down due to the Worlds, holidays and the general financial squeeze I’d imagine, the near empty car park didn’t offer many hiding places for the finished squads that all bore the look of having had to have really toiled. Now we all know that there needs to be a few stands to separate the classes / really test one, but today, bar two (2nd & 12th) stands it felt a relentless slog, yes some challenging targets, but this muppet thought overall there was little balance to the layout, the scores are not for the fainthearted, few 90s and that’s with a fair sprinkling of AAA & AAs on display.

Agree with Richard, it was a relentless effort today. Tbh my score was cr*p, one or two interesting stands but eight of them !!!
If this continues I can see a number of shooters voting with their feet

This years worlds sporting was probably the toughest shoot I have entered but by far the most enjoyable I have entered too. Weird as I didn’t score that well but seeing similar scores from other shooters made me feel a lot better. Shot in the rain and wind so it felt fairly relentless. I preferred the Red course to be honest but the blue layout was impressive shooting out across the valley - great views.
I hope that the UK team triumphs after setting those layouts!
Good luck to everyone yet to go.

I'm shooting worlds Friday/Saturday, what are people finding that is making it particularly difficult, I know we would expect it to have some tougher stands but a number of people have shot well below their average?

If this continues I can see a number of shooters voting with their feet
Couldn't agree more Wynn. I remember well a similarly brutal course at this ground a few years ago. It was actually the last time I reffed there because I made a gentle remark on this forum which one of their directors took exception to, resulting in me being banned.

IIRC, Will H was in one of my squads that day and had a few things to say about the course - and he was not the only one as the next few shoots were poorly supported. Hopefully the lesson will be learned yet again that when us ordinary folk are forking out £100 plus for 100 registered clays we don't mind a reasonably testing layout but we don't like getting beaten up.

I'm shooting worlds Friday/Saturday, what are people finding that is making it particularly difficult, I know we would expect it to have some tougher stands but a number of people have shot well below their average?
Basically there is a lot of long distance stuff that you rarely see. Many targets are nothing exceptional, but the cage is 15 to 30 yards further back than normal. Also, there are 14 stands on each course and only a handful are obvious card fillers. Monday and Tuesday were troubled by rain and wind but it’s better now. It’s a shoot aimed at finding a suitable World Champion. It’s really not aimed at the masses in my opinion.

It’s a shoot aimed at finding a suitable World Champion. It’s really not aimed at the masses in my opinion.
And that’s how it should be, a suitable World Champion is going to be one of a few shooters not one of the masses, perhaps there needs to be a qualification event to get to the World Championships ?

I agree Will, in the rain and wind it made the midis look like bumble bees out in the fields!
There were distances there a lot of people wouldn’t have shot at if they prefer the “softer” shooting grounds.

I actually preferred the blue course, I found the red course awkward, and didn’t shoot the middle bits well (driven etc) I felt I was standing on a slant, couldn’t get a comfy foot position and it wasn’t until I’d nearly finished I realised that and I think it was making me shoot over things 🤦‍♀️. Shot some stands well but others really crap. Surprisingly some of the stands I did shoot well a lot of “good” shots didn’t!!

Sportrap this morning and super sporting this afternoon and hopefully some better weather.

And that’s how it should be, a suitable World Champion is going to be one of a few shooters not one of the masses, perhaps there needs to be a qualification event to get to the World Championships ?
I completely agree about a qualifying event Jonz. Even at a normal registered shoot, the course can’t suit everybody there and this is a huge exaggeration of that. Having said that, the World Champ contenders will go through a tough super final event on Sunday, so as long as the main event is firm enough to put the top folk into that, then it’s job done. Exactly as 2021 actually. 1500 shooters funded this event and it really only worked for 200 of them IMO.

Back