Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
College Farm yesterday; started out with a birthday brekkie and started the shoot very well, straighted the first 3 stands then managed to completely mess up stand 4 missing five there but made up for it by only missing 2 over the next 8 stands (tried to jump in to a rabbit way too early, and a low R-L teal) for 93.

Gunsite today; started a bit later as was out last night and wanted to let the first rush of people through.  Probably started shooting at about 12.30, did ok on what I thought was a slightly tougher than usual affair.  Happy to only drop 2 of the sim pairs loopers, only hit one of the big teal, and didn't touch any of the L-R looper on 12.  Steady 88 though and very happy to have shot in the good weather.

Traffic bad on the way home though with the M4 being shut between Newbury and Hungerford there was a diversion that I didn't have to take but caused a massive delay, over 2 hours for me to get back.

Long day today, went to Westfield for STP and Sporting.   I didn’t shoot either well but they were both excellent shoots if a little long to shoot the sporting.   It was very well attended.  Harry said approx 380 shooters.  It was a good job I had Natasha to chat to and the weather was very good so in between stands I lay in the grass looking up at the fluffy clouds and occasionally flicking a V at Mr Lovett as he drove by on his quad.  😂   I made the mistake of not taking a snack with me so Andy Jones (God bless him) gave me a snack bar half way round to keep me going.  I kept forgetting what I was doing on Sportrap.   My favourite layout (no. 4) in terms of targets I shot the worst on unfortunately.  Guns going in for a new ejector to be fitted so I’ll have to shoot Lola May.  I figure I can’t get any worse, famous last words.

Westfield for us too. First time there and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Wonderful straightforward journey there in just over 2 hours and an absolute nightmare nearly 5 hours home! Good targets, met some people I’d not seen for a long time and as Sian said, beautiful weather.  Only 1 target I never connected  with, the l-r over the pond and we had some long queues on some stands but would definitely return. 

Honesberie for me too yesterday. It was the loopers that did for me - I found it very hard picking the right kill point. I am quite happy walking away having hit the third or fourth clay and ending up with a 5 or 6 but I dropped 13 on three traps having missed all of the them. Very frustrating and I have no idea where I was wrong. I was 8 down after the first half so I was a bit disappointed with a 72 by the end albeit I can only count 6 which I know I should not have missed.

Gunsite today; started a bit later as was out last night and wanted to let the first rush of people through.  Probably started shooting at about 12.30, did ok on what I thought was a slightly tougher than usual affair.  Happy to only drop 2 of the sim pairs loopers, only hit one of the big teal, and didn't touch any of the L-R looper on 12.  Steady 88 though and very happy to have shot in the good weather.

Traffic bad on the way home though with the M4 being shut between Newbury and Hungerford there was a diversion that I didn't have to take but caused a massive delay, over 2 hours for me to get back.
A friend and I did Gunsite too, westbound we were diverted off the M4 at J13 and headed along the A4 with everyone else to Marlborough. Homeward we headed south to the A303 at Andover

I managed 80 and I agree it was tougher this week, I fell foul of the floaty targets on stand 1 missing 3 (kicking myself,) there were other slow targets I also should have hit but didn't. Stand 4 missed 4(was that the big teal? I only hit one too,) Stand 7, I can't remember what it was but I dropped five. stand 11 missed 3 of the 4 basic rising left to rights. I was chuffed to bag all the sim pair loopers(standard and Midi,) stand 12 missed the first looper, I didn't know why and got that dreaded feeling so changed tactics and shot them as soon as I could see them (rather than where you would expect in mid-flight) this saved my bacon on this stand but, overall, the damage was already done.

Another nice, warm day in the ancient mystical Wiltshire landscape, shooting in sight of the West Kennet long barrow and a mile away from the Avebury stone circle  👻 ☠️👻

Sigh. Went to court Farm for the first time in almost 3 years. I had set pretty low expectations for the place and it failed to live up to them. 11 stands with two stands of following pairs from a single trap. A prevailing trend of very edgey crossers and quartering, with many stands having targets from the next stand confusing your vision. The grass was 10” tall everywhere, even in the stands. How they get a reasonable turnout for £43 I don’t know. Loads of non cpsa shooters I think. It certainly feels like a straw baler. Most shoots have moved on so far from this 80’s standard. 

In terms of actual shooting, I was happy enough with how I was dealing with the very fiddly targets, but my last stand killed me as I found I was running out of room to shoot a white crosser, stopping the gun instead of hitting the cage. My fault really, should have tackled it earlier, but it’s not usually an issue elsewhere. Finished on 86.

I had a good day today.  The weather was pleasant and I went to Barrow, just one shoot.  I had Dora as my lovely gunsmith got her back to me.   Forgotten what it’s like not having to dig the cartridge out with my penknife.  A mixture of targets and I shot well winning ladies on 86/100.  Given that I’ve found every shoot I’ve done a real strain for such a long time, it was a good feeling.   Someone will tell me it was an easy shoot no doubt but I haven’t found ANY shoot easy so jog on.  

I had a good day today.  The weather was pleasant and I went to Barrow, just one shoot.  I had Dora as my lovely gunsmith got her back to me.   Forgotten what it’s like not having to dig the cartridge out with my penknife.  A mixture of targets and I shot well winning ladies on 86/100.  Given that I’ve found every shoot I’ve done a real strain for such a long time, it was a good feeling.   Someone will tell me it was an easy shoot no doubt but I haven’t found ANY shoot easy so jog on.  
Well done Sian, maybe getting Dora back has give you the extra confidence you needed.  Keep it up.

Well done Sian Good to read you had a good day and feel better about your shooting  :thumbsup:

Churchill's yesterday. I would describe the course as similar to a Dime bar - hard in the middle.

First five stands the only thing that caused me any real problem was the mini from the platform, couldn't find it at all. Stand 6 the wheels fell off. My current quartering target bogey struck and I also managed to overlead the second target massively as well - dropped the first two pairs! Was really peed off with myself as they weren't particularly hard.  Then a tricky sim pair that could have been a disaster, but managed at least to get a 6/10. Then the complete meltdown hit on Stand 8 - quickish, long low crosser that wasn't easiest to see (I hit one) and a long rabbit along a bank (I hit none). Last four stands normality resumed and I think it was 5 dropped on those all together. Finished on 72.

Churchill's yesterday. I would describe the course as similar to a Dime bar - hard in the middle.

First five stands the only thing that caused me any real problem was the mini from the platform, couldn't find it at all. Stand 6 the wheels fell off. My current quartering target bogey struck and I also managed to overlead the second target massively as well - dropped the first two pairs! Was really peed off with myself as they weren't particularly hard.  Then a tricky sim pair that could have been a disaster, but managed at least to get a 6/10. Then the complete meltdown hit on Stand 8 - quickish, long low crosser that wasn't easiest to see (I hit one) and a long rabbit along a bank (I hit none). Last four stands normality resumed and I think it was 5 dropped on those all together. Finished on 72.
Yes it was a tricky course. I had a complete brain fade moment and never hit the away target on stand 2! When I stood back and watched others I realised it was pretty much just a straight-at-it job which I had misread badly being first up. So my card was kind of over right there. But like you, stand 8 was a horror show, long distance, hard to see. Further killed me. Finished on 83. Last shoot there was a bit too easy and they overcorrected a bit on this one I feel. Usual case of course setters never being subtle when they change things. 

Yes it was a tricky course. I had a complete brain fade moment and never hit the away target on stand 2! When I stood back and watched others I realised it was pretty much just a straight-at-it job which I had misread badly being first up. So my card was kind of over right there. But like you, stand 8 was a horror show, long distance, hard to see. Further killed me. Finished on 83. Last shoot there was a bit too easy and they overcorrected a bit on this one I feel. Usual case of course setters never being subtle when they change things. 
I only dropped one target on Stand 2.  I saw lead on that going away target.  Not huge, but a definite gap.  Suppose it depends on gun speed.

The mini on the platform.  Did that need much?  I think I was giving it too much as I was taking it fairly late on.  Given another go I'd probably attack it a bit earlier.

I only dropped one target on Stand 2.  I saw lead on that going away target.  Not huge, but a definite gap.  Suppose it depends on gun speed.

The mini on the platform.  Did that need much?  I think I was giving it too much as I was taking it fairly late on.  Given another go I'd probably attack it a bit earlier.
I didn’t miss the mini. As always with them, it’s never a real gap. Just went past it’s right hand edge and quite late on. 

Last edited by a moderator:
40p a clay? Wish EJC were that cheap for practice.. Really adds up on claymate. I get that the ground must recoup costs for their high overheads, so 45p for clays you shoot at isn’t mental, but somehow all the clays you use to see what’s on shouldn’t be that dear. I remember A1 shooting ground 12 years ago used to be £30 for 100 clays, but the card had 120 on it so you could see a pair at each stand. 

So to sum up its to easy to hard and to expensive !!

40p a clay? Wish EJC were that cheap for practice.. Really adds up on claymate. I get that the ground must recoup costs for their high overheads, so 45p for clays you shoot at isn’t mental, but somehow all the clays you use to see what’s on shouldn’t be that dear. I remember A1 shooting ground 12 years ago used to be £30 for 100 clays, but the card had 120 on it so you could see a pair at each stand. 

So to sum up its to easy to hard and to expensive !!
Ha ha. Last two shoots have been different. Was very good for several before those and likely to return to normal I expect. Reg shoot entry prices are about normal for the south. 

Busy weekend, as Tony didn’t have to work Saturday we went to Owls, no big score but I enjoyed the course and company and I did some stands well.    Today was an early start off to Grange Farm which took me 21/4 hrs to drive there.   Very enjoyable and in parts quite tricky. Again I felt I did well on some stands and wasn’t disappointed with my score.   Was pleasantly surprised to pick up an envelope for Tony from about 3 yrs ago.    On to Honesberie which was tricky also but again very enjoyable. No big score but I did shoot some stands very well that were hard.    Stupidly I dropped 6/10 on a sim going away pair just not being steady and a bit blurry for me near the end of the day and knackered.   Picked up two envelopes from there, one each from 2020.   Grand total of £165 collected, result.   

Finally back shooting registered following the whole Covid thing! I've shot a couple of times at a local farm the past few months but otherwise been inactive.

So, Gatton on Sunday just gone - 90. What you expect from Horne, everything there to be infinitely hit and if you miss, it's definitely you as opposed to the difficulty in targets! A decent return to action. 

Today - AGL. A really steady course IMO. Decent variety of targets and a great squad. Enjoyed the trip (ignoring the traffic) and settled into the shoot quite well with a few straights. For some reason my inability to read the battue on stand 5 cost me dearly as I dropped all 4, as well as two of the other singles given my frustration. 2/8 on that stand not ideal! 

Managed to regain composure afterwards, dropping 3 across the remaining 7 stands to finish on 87. 

Horne again Sunday, followed by EJ on Thursday next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back