Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From stands 1 to 3 you need to look hard where the targets first appear and where they land  to give you prospective of how far away they are. James has used the terrain to its full advantage to catch you out on these stands. The midi driven is 120ft but what makes this tricky is you cannot see the trap and the target just appears, causing the shooter to shoot it quickly in panic, you have more time than you think on this and most misses would  be in front. visual pickup on where it first appears is critical to have consistent success.

If you were to shoot any of the majors being held at Hodnet or High lodge these are the sort of targets you would  see in there wooded sections, targets that you only have a limited time to shoot before it disappears behind trees or bracken. 

Totally agree, I just don’t get to shoot there often as I usually work Saturdays but love what they do with the setting. Got confused on some as when there’s two of you and your pushing buttons for each other you get a different picture as they had stuck the buttons to a post for socially distancing which was sensible.  Pleased that what I did hit, I hit well!!  

Lloyd , for your first shoot you did very well, none of these  stands were easy and you hadn't seen targets like this before set in the woods  

As we went round you were improving all the time as your confidence grew  , the reason I bought three different cartridges for you to try was to see if you could tell any  difference between them, when I asked you at the end of the shoot you said no, so the positive for this is we aren't going to worry about choice of cartridge, one less thing to think about 

Donna, I was lucky in the respect we had the wife buttoning for us, although it did cost me a curry last night as she was not happy about getting soaked  :nono:

We normally shoot with a few of us so that’s not normally a problem for us either.  Owls on Tuesday for sport trap then EJC on Thursday sporting before I get back to work. 

Westfield today. I think it’s been the best course I’ve shot since returning after lockdown. Some high long stuff but all hittable. I started really well and was straight until stand 5 which had a monster overhead away. Only hit the last one by getting 6 feet under it. After that I think I began over concentrating and fell apart in the last two pairs on three stands. All in the head. Finished on 85 ruing what might have been.

Ben H was there doing some instructional filming and shooting it this pm so expect another video from him I assume. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben H was there doing some instructional filming and shooting it this pm so expect another video from him I assume. 
Saw it on YouTube. Sound was dreadfully wind effected. I gave up after 30 seconds! Ben is a great shot no doubt. He’s arguably the most thorough and detailed of coaches, but the quality of some videos detract somewhat for me.

@k80ben Id suggest to get a directional microphone (Rode make good affordable ones) and a dead cat (the fluffy thing that goes over the mike). Some of your videos are bearly watchable which is such a shame as the content is without doubt interesting.

Saw it on YouTube. Sound was dreadfully wind effected. I gave up after 30 seconds! Ben is a great shot no doubt. He’s arguably the most thorough and detailed of coaches, but the quality of some videos detract somewhat for me.

@k80ben Id suggest to get a directional microphone (Rode make good affordable ones) and a dead cat (the fluffy thing that goes over the mike). Some of your videos are bearly watchable which is such a shame as the content is without doubt interesting.
We watched it through the TV and yes, the sound was wind affected (for which Ben apologises constantly  throughout) BUT it was still very informative as all his videos are.  What I learnt watching this one is to think about what I’m going to do before I get into shoot, foot positioning, hold point, kill point, method of shooting  etc, that really sunk in for me and how to deal with the topography of the land.  

Also what was pleasing to see was the young lad Ollie Keates shooting, how he worked out his method etc.  It was just refreshing to see a youngster not frightened to speak up, not frightened to be in front of the camera and be videoed whilst shooting so we could learn from him/them.  I would be a proud parent.

Ben will get the sound issues fixed for his next video you can count on that, he is doing this to help anyone that’s willing to watch and listen, just unfortunate it was so windy.  Looked a very good shoot anyway, just a shame it’s so far for us to get to.

Well, watching the video was a great help 👍 sport trap at Owls today and a massive PB.  Average last year was 61.8 and today shot a 77.  Last layout caught me out a bit, lowest score of the 4 layouts and a few tricky sim pairs but so pleased with how I shot.  18, 23, 22 and 14.   Roll on EJC on Thursday, no doubt will come down to earth with a bump and shoot crap 🤣🤣

July Competitions @ Barbury Shooting School

Weds 8th July - 100 Reg Sportrap

Weds 22nd July - 100 Reg Sporting

Friday 31st July to Sunday 2nd August - 120 open Sporting (The Pro One Challenge)

All shoots must be pre booked with the ground in advance on 01793 940420 or [email protected] 

4AD1BC36-E232-4D4F-A808-5639236A24EE.jpeg

Coleys today, luckily the rain had blown over, was on last squad out, a few issues during the day meant our 2.30 start was nearer 3.00, The squad had one or two stars and am afraid no stardust rubbed off on this old fossil. Had a poor start on targets that I really should have done better on, further in a few targets were too good for me. Overall though I did find the middle, edge, lip, rim & dome of enough to have had a jolly decent afternoon out.

Richard Faulds 98 HG

EJ Churchill today for the ESP registered. 

A really good course I thought. There were certainly a few steadier stands, but that’s fine when you add in a good few testing ones too, which is what we got. The notable tougher targets were the orange crosser in the grouse and the 65 yard high crosser in the trap area. The ones I missed most of were far less intimidating to look at, so a cause of frustration.. Got a soaking near the end. Still glad to hit 90 for the first time since lockdown finished. 

EJC for us too, my last one for a while as back to work Saturday.  😞 a really good course again, completely different targets from 2 weeks ago. Got wet again but still enjoyed it.  The orange crosser in the grouse I shot really well, 7/8 so pleased with that.  2 stands really cost me, stand 4 platform 4/8 and stand 5 teal and floppy incomer, 4/8.  Stand 7 rabbit and long incomer which didn’t come in very far, only missed 1 of the long incomers. Missed a few silly ones here and there but what I did hit I hit hard, focused on feet position, hold points etc and finished on 75 which is only 1 below my PB. All in all another enjoyable day.  

Longridge today, on 3rd of this 4 day shoot, overcast, no rain but windy, not that I can lay claim to any wind affected /  lost targets. 13 stands in all and some very decent targets too, it was too good for me in too many places, now there was nothing wrong with the course / the targets / my on the day chums / or our ref however having such a poor day with the gun I cannot help but feel a tad deflated, shot easier courses worse if that makes sense, just today had a feeling of being 'lost" / "out of depth" more than once and its not nice. 

Richard Faulds shot 99 on day 1, having shot same course, that's near super human. 

Longridge today, on 3rd of this 4 day shoot, overcast, no rain but windy, not that I can lay claim to any wind affected /  lost targets. 13 stands in all and some very decent targets too, it was too good for me in too many places, now there was nothing wrong with the course / the targets / my on the day chums / or our ref however having such a poor day with the gun I cannot help but feel a tad deflated, shot easier courses worse if that makes sense, just today had a feeling of being 'lost" / "out of depth" more than once and its not nice. 

Richard Faulds shot 99 on day 1, having shot same course, that's near super human. 
Shot it too on Friday, Rich. I did enjoy it and the company i shot it with but it was way out of my league. It wasn't a shoot for a very occasional shooter. I did really enjoy the challenge though and as I just shot it as practice, the score didn't count. One chap on my squad shot a 95, which was incredible given that we shot in the afternoon when it was particularly windy.

Well first post lockdown reg for us today at honesberie. Very windy up there but a good  course. Yes wind affected but nothing unhitable. A couple of quite nasty SIM pairs.  Well organised with the covid measures.  A couple of large groups around the club house though. Refs all good today although I wish they would confirm your score as you leave the cage. Some did , so didn't. 

Put up a good account with the loan gun.  

All in all a good effort from Honesberie. 

Enjoyed it. 

Jasper. 

Refs all good today although I wish they would confirm your score as you leave the cage
Ditto, we shot EJC on Thursday, had a very nice ref but Phil got wrongly marked.  Stand 2 I think it was, on report pair, first bird hit, second bird “no bird”, pair again.  Phil actually said to the ref “first bird established as hit”? Ref said yes.  He missed the first target, hit the second so should’ve been pair hit.  Not until we checked cards at end we realised he had marked it down as lost and hit.  It would be best if they did confirm score as you leave cage, at least it’s fresh in everyone’s memory if you did have to question it. 

Well first post lockdown reg for us today at honesberie. Very windy up there but a good  course. Yes wind affected but nothing unhitable. A couple of quite nasty SIM pairs.  Well organised with the covid measures.  A couple of large groups around the club house though. Refs all good today although I wish they would confirm your score as you leave the cage. Some did , so didn't. 

Put up a good account with the loan gun.  

All in all a good effort from Honesberie. 

Enjoyed it. 

Jasper. 
Also Honesberie for me. Agree with Jasper. Good level of course although one sim pair that I actually found unfair. Wind did cost me a few, especially stand 11 which would have been nothing tricky otherwise. Finished on 88 having fluffed stand 5 or 6 for no good reason. 

I tried the all new burger. Only marginally less ghastly than two weeks ago, so another one bite and throw... 🥴 McDonald’s on the way home next time. 😀

Latest posts

Back