Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Owls Lodge Compak,great set of targets.

Beautiful weather if a little windy.

Thoroughly enjoyed for a first time shooting it!
Am another that went to Owls, sunny and wind did have a bit of a bite, always underestimate how difficult this type of shooting is for someone as laboured (slow on trigger) as I, yes one did watch the squad in front, all of whom shot very well, into cage and only then fully appreciate how well as I struggle throughout. As smokey says all targets there to be hit and yes did hit every A to F thrown however not enough of them across the five stands, It did feel, for me a flat day, yes the ground looks well, lots of newly laid hardstanding, staff as ever all on the ball & attentive, its the understandable need in having the clubhouse closed that hit home that the social element of shooting has had to change, In not the most chatty type but do enjoy the ambience of a lively clubhouse.

As for the shoot think JBD 98 few others high 90s, I doff my cap as those shots have worked on this type of event and they really do stand out. 

Shot at EJC yesterday in a small group, giving each other space. 

Didn't venture out today, the idea of a crowded Sunday reg didn't sit right with me. Hoping we can start to get back out later on in the year!
You can lock the gun away for the time being now mate after you mastered that pink dustbin lid 👌🏼😆

You can lock the gun away for the time being now mate after you mastered that pink dustbin lid 👌🏼😆
You've just made me laugh out loud! I'm so pleased your first post on here was to bring back that memory for me 😂

As it's out in the open now...

When shooting the Churchill Challenge on Saturday I manged to miss EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of the pink dustbin lids on the scaffolding. I do struggle on being able to see targets that need shooting directly at, so I do end up missing some frustrating ones!

It transpires that the fix was the shoot it from a gun down stance as I was able to separate the bird and the barrels. The result were some spectacular hits (...after the damage was already done to my card)

You've just made me laugh out loud! I'm so pleased your first post on here was to bring back that memory for me 😂

As it's out in the open now...

When shooting the Churchill Challenge on Saturday I manged to miss EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of the pink dustbin lids on the scaffolding. I do struggle on being able to see targets that need shooting directly at, so I do end up missing some frustrating ones!

It transpires that the fix was the shoot it from a gun down stance as I was able to separate the bird and the barrels. The result were some spectacular hits (...after the damage was already done to my card)
After the laugh we had over it at the time, when I saw your comment I couldn't help it! Popped my shootclay cherry 🤣

I went & shot the challenge twice today on my own as I felt I wanted to give it another go before we went into lockdown. Lucky I went today and didn't leave it till tomorrow.

You'll be happy to know I saw off all the pink bin lids haha.

Put in 71,72 & 74 in C Class so should have placed hopefully. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. I'll have a pop at Sian's suggestion. I'd like to take you all back to the 2018 English open at AGL. So we'll go back two weeks before if I can. Drilled through my thumb at work. Right through . Then ripped the drill out through the side.😁. You can't really comprehend just how sharp a carbide drill is until you got one through your digit .  And then it swells up like a balloon with infection. Was properly tender. 😫 Great preparation. Funnily enough me friend, who was booked on with us , tried to take his fingers off with a lawn mower the week before. 😁😁😁😁 .He  had to give up his place . I soldiered on . Tried to shoot garlands the week before AGL with not much success. So a bit of a quandary. Give up my spot or have a go. Decided to have a go. We arrived at the ground on Saturday with reports of tough targets ringing in our ears. Met up with some of our squad , shot the pool shoot ,terribly. So off we go to the main event quite low on confidence. Straighted the first two stands . Then to the first card killer 3 monster battues. 4 away . Ouch. Straighted next. Then onto five . Quartering away rabbit and that nasty low right to left. Scraped a four here I think. Then the rain starts . Can things go more wrong.  I'll jump now to stand 8 . Which had another absolutely massive left to right battue. Straighted that. Phew. Hard work. Turns out there were only 3 straights all week on that stand. So the rest of the round was ok.   A couple away until 11 I think. Which had a couple of tasty targets as I recall. Think maybe managed half here. Did ok on the rest until the last stand Which was on the platform with two close targets beneath your feet. Thought I had done quite well and would have fair score. Then dropped two here .grrrrrr. So off we trot to the clubhouse for a look at the scores. At this point the big boys were around the 106/107/110 ex 120. Then a 114? Pops up. Incredible. So maths not being a strong point.  I adds up me card  on the blurry photo on me phone about 15 times..... 102.  What if for a couple of sloppy misses. Anyhow The 102 actually won A class for me.

Happy days. 

Jasper. 

Ok. I'll have a pop at Sian's suggestion. I'd like to take you all back to the 2018 English open at AGL. So we'll go back two weeks before if I can. Drilled through my thumb at work. Right through . Then ripped the drill out through the side.😁. You can't really comprehend just how sharp a carbide drill is until you got one through your digit .  And then it swells up like a balloon with infection. Was properly tender. 😫 Great preparation. Funnily enough me friend, who was booked on with us , tried to take his fingers off with a lawn mower the week before. 😁😁😁😁 .He  had to give up his place . I soldiered on . Tried to shoot garlands the week before AGL with not much success. So a bit of a quandary. Give up my spot or have a go. Decided to have a go. We arrived at the ground on Saturday with reports of tough targets ringing in our ears. Met up with some of our squad , shot the pool shoot ,terribly. So off we go to the main event quite low on confidence. Straighted the first two stands . Then to the first card killer 3 monster battues. 4 away . Ouch. Straighted next. Then onto five . Quartering away rabbit and that nasty low right to left. Scraped a four here I think. Then the rain starts . Can things go more wrong.  I'll jump now to stand 8 . Which had another absolutely massive left to right battue. Straighted that. Phew. Hard work. Turns out there were only 3 straights all week on that stand. So the rest of the round was ok.   A couple away until 11 I think. Which had a couple of tasty targets as I recall. Think maybe managed half here. Did ok on the rest until the last stand Which was on the platform with two close targets beneath your feet. Thought I had done quite well and would have fair score. Then dropped two here .grrrrrr. So off we trot to the clubhouse for a look at the scores. At this point the big boys were around the 106/107/110 ex 120. Then a 114? Pops up. Incredible. So maths not being a strong point.  I adds up me card  on the blurry photo on me phone about 15 times..... 102.  What if for a couple of sloppy misses. Anyhow The 102 actually won A class for me.

Happy days. 

Jasper. 
I thought it was an excellent shoot, heard quite a few complaints of how hard it was, but we thought it was just right for a major championship. Nice ground as well and nice and central in the country.

I’m now booked into two at Owls Lodge and at AGL. Honesberie and Westfield are on my radar  

I gather EJC will be doing two registered a month, the first on June 18th.

We done the sporting practice at Owls today, fair few people there but everyone was respecting the rules.  Good targets again, changed from the last time.  Have booked for their 100 sporting next week then the sport trap at end of month, then on way home got email from EJC re their 100 sporting, quick chat to friends we shot with today and booked in for that too!  🤗 I won’t want to go back to work at this rate!  

I'm really torn on whether to start up with the comps again or not.  Going to leave it a week or so and then may book in for AGL if they have any places left.  I've shot twice since March and felt a bit slow both times, was hitting stuff but all felt a little lethargic.  Maybe after another trip out tomorrow morning I'll start getting some confidence back.

I'm really torn on whether to start up with the comps again or not.  Going to leave it a week or so and then may book in for AGL if they have any places left.  I've shot twice since March and felt a bit slow both times, was hitting stuff but all felt a little lethargic.  Maybe after another trip out tomorrow morning I'll start getting some confidence back.
Bebo, the practice rounds we’ve done at Owls, Greenfields and Churchills have been really good.  Social distancing, sanitizer everywhere so really as safe as can be.  EJC targets are now in roughly 3 categories, the ones above the club house are “easy”, the stands if you go into ground opposite the club house are “medium” and the ones once you get past the grouse butts are “harder”  so you can pick what you want to practice on.  Again, Owls yesterday, we just had a go on each stand, if it was easy we just moved on and practiced targets we needed to practice on.  

I felt the same first time out, shoulder hurt, arms ached, slow etc, but I’ve used the practice to get my timing right, feet position and just generally building up my confidence again with the new gun.  

Owls next week will be registered with only 5 or 6 in a squad, scorer going round with you so the only thing you touch is your own equipment and I think that is how registered comps will be done for the foreseeable future,  I know Ben Husthwaite on Instagram this Sunday will have Steve Lovett on there explaining how it will all work.  

At the end of the day, if you are just booking in for practice with you and hubby you know you’re both well etc and for the comps, again try to book in or get on a squad with people you know that will abide by the rules.

Maybe this year we will get our “girlie” day out with Sian and a few others!  Stay safe and looking forward to seeing you all again. 

Meadowcroft reg today, thankful that weather had much improved from Saturday, Booked on Tod, was on at 10.40 In a merry gang of three + scorer. First 5 stands had fair number of l-r targets, bogeys for me & today even more so, did though finish strongly and it was very much a 😊 day after such a horrid start. The two chaps I shot with “ oh only shoot for day out, not really any good “ shot very very well and high 80s both were pleasant company. Shot course in hour & half and soon after in car. No scores up that I saw. Like every ground lots of effort put in for these “different” times, well done all staff. 

Oxfordshire today, was on at 3pm and although the odd brief shower no rain of any not until I got into car to drive home. Happy squad of 4 1/2 (one the delightful Mrs Mary Thornett shooting just the 50 bird offering) Ground is fibre only ( not that it makes a jot to I, and ten stands of 10 ) Was first up and made a pleasing start until a pair of l-rights brought me to a bump. Did pull socks up and finished rather well. In all a very decent afternoon out in good (socially distanced) squad of chums. See the young James Bradley Day took HG on 94.

Sporting at Owls on Thursday, well run, good targets, signs everywhere etc.  Had a really good start, hitting all the long hard stuff then got to stand 10 and had a bit of a melt down!  Dropped 16/24 on last 3 stands. Stand 11 edge on rabbit then a floppy thing low and just appearing in front of you before landing on ground was a disaster for me, had a sad lonely 1 😳.  Started chucking it down after 3rd stand and targets were wind affected. 

We had a squad behind us which were fairly fast and as it’s squadded and your going to stands in order I should have changed  my chokes for the last couple of stands but felt I didn’t have time which was stupid as it cost me dearly.  Ended up on a sad 64 but was really pleased with the targets I did hit.  Just need to practice on these little shi**y things that appear and are gone in a second! 

Owls lodge today for me too. Last day of the Hants championship. A great course with no fill-in stands at all. It isn’t a high scoring course (GD managed to miss 10) but I was still disappointed with 79. I seem to have lost finesse (after 3 months off) on going away targets, basically flying over the top and that cost me 7 alone. Shot much else of it Ok, especially the long stuff, but the wind and very bright sun didn’t help. Some clays hard to see with the shine and reflection. 

I enjoyed it but got a lesson about rustiness and how much I need to take care and focus on the fiddly targets going into the next few shoots. 

Owls for us.  Very good shoot just unfortunate my gun broke and trying to shoot with someone else’s gun (I tried Andy Seaman’s K80 and Hew Stephen’s Perazzi) just does not work particularly when they are no way near the right size and you can barely reach the trigger.   I just gave up.  Should have called it a day when my one died just made my score even worse.

Latest posts

Back