Sport trap / Compak

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayter

Any one fancy clearing up the differences for me please .. 

Done a bit of research but it all seems pretty much the same to me .. 

The way i see it is one is run by F.I.T.A.S.C the other is Not ??

Am i being silly or just ignorant ..

Thanks in advance .. 

look at the rules on the fitasc.com site and you will see there is a set criteria for the targets and in sportrap  prity much anything goes.

Paul is right - the rules will explain a lot... but one key difference:

SPT - always  single, report double, sim double

CPK - almost all combos work - 5 singles, 1 single + 2 report doubles, 3 singles + 1 sim double

thank you Matt my knowledge is now extended I always thought they were basically the same format under a different name

8. TEChNICAL RULES FOR SPORTRAP

8.00 Except as detailed below all the above rules and regulations for English Sporting are fully applicable to the CPSA discipline of ‘SPORTRAP’.

LAyOUTS

8.01 A ‘Sportrap’ layout will consist of 5 stands within safety enclosures set side by side in a straight line and numbered 1 to 5 starting from the left when viewed from behind the stands. Shooting stands shall be clearly defined squares of 0.91 m (35.8 in) sides.

8.02 To allow for wheelchairs, safety enclosures will measure 1200mm x 1200mm (47.24in x 47.24in) + 50mm (2in).

8.03 Stands will be set at 3m (3.3yd) to 3.3m (3.6yd) centres.

8.04 Entry to and exit from all stands will be from the rear of the enclosure only and all enclosures will be fitted with a removable restraining bar at the front at a height of 600mm (23.6in) + 100mm (3.9in). This bar may only be removed at the request of a wheelchair user and at all other times at the discretion of the Referee.

8.05 Five or more traps clearly identified starting from the left when viewed from behind the stands, to be placed anywhere the Organiser decides, set to throw targets specified in rules 8.04, 8.05, 8.06 & 8.07. Each trap position must be clearly indicated by its own letter in the vicinity of the trap that must be visible from all stands.

8.06 ‘Menu’ boards in front of each stand, measuring a minimum of A4 size, 300mm (11.8in) x 210mm (8.27in), will list the traps in the order in which they will be released at that stand.

8.07 When two or more layouts are installed in adjacent positions, there should be a minimum distance of 35m (38.2yd) between stand no. 5 on one layout and stand no. 1 on the next.

8.08 A minimum exclusion zone of 275m (300yd) in every direction in which shooting is likely to occur must be provided in front of every layout and in full accordance with standard CPSA safety regulations.

8.09 If any traps are placed near the competitors or spectators, or will send a target into those same areas, consideration must be given to ensure the safety of all concerned.

CONDUCT OF EVENTS

8.10 Squads will consist of up to a maximum of five competitors and only one competitor shall shoot at any one time.

8.11 The competitors comprising the squad shall stand within the designated shooting cages marked 1 to 5, in the same order in which their names appear on the official score card. All guns at this stage must be open and empty.

8.12 A “Round” will comprise of twenty-five targets as detailed below. Competitions may be made up of a multiple number of rounds on the same layout or different layouts.

8.13 At each stand, each competitor will shoot at single target (full use of the gun) plus one pair on report (O/R) or following (FOL), plus one simultaneous pair (SIM). A total of five targets per stand.

8.14 Any squad that has not had a chance to view the flight of the targets may request the Referee to show one individual target from each trap in alphabetical order.

Version CPSA/B7/2011/02 - 16th of May 2011 Page 21 of 33ShOOTING SINGLES

8.15 When all is ready and correct the Referee shall call “line ready”. At that point, all competitors may load two cartridges, but their guns must remain open.

8.16 Competitor No. 1 shall then close their gun and, when ready, call for the target. The first target on the menu board shall then be released. The competitors will then fire at this target at any point within the designated area with either one or two shots. The resulting score (1 or 0), as determined by the Referee will then be recorded.

8.17 After the result of the previous shot has been established, competitor no. 2 will then follow the same procedure, followed in turn by competitors nos. 3, 4 and 5.

ShOOTING DOUBLES

8.18 After competitor No. 5 has shot the single target, competitor No. 1 shall again call for a target which will be a double as per the menu board in front of the stand.

8.19 Shooting will then continue in the same format as in 8.18 until all competitors have shot at all their five targets in that stand.

8.20 At this point, the Referee shall call loudly and clearly “UNLOAD and Change” competitors Nos.1 to 4 will then move to the next stand on their right whilst competitor No. 5 will walk behind and to the left to Stand No.1. All guns must be opened and empty when moving between stands.

8.21 When all competitors are ready, the Referee shall call “Line Ready”. competitor No.1, who will be standing at Stand 2, will then re-commence the round and the procedure detailed above in 8.16 through 8.20 will start all over again.

8.22 When all members of the squad have shot at all the targets in every stand, the round will be finished and the Referee shall call loudly “Unload and check your scores”. At this point, all guns shall be opened and emptied before the shooters turn to leave their stands.

MALFUNCTIONS

8.23 Shooters will be allowed up to two gun or ammunition malfunctions, not attributable to them, in each round without being penalised. The third or subsequent malfunction in the same round shall be counted as lost or pair lost.

INDIVIDUAL TIE-BREAK

8.24 If two or more competitors obtain equal scores, precedence for the first three places in championships (and in other competitions where this has been announced in the program) are decided by a tie-break of twenty-five target rounds until a difference in scores occurs.

8.25 If after one round (i.e. fifty targets) a tie still exists, the remaining tied competitors will go into a “sudden death” shoot-off.

8.26 The “sudden death” tie-break will consist of the remainder of the tied competitors shooting from stand 3, one single target, followed by a report pair and a simultaneous pair. Should a tie still exist, the same variety of targets will be shot at from stand 4, and then stand 5. Should a tie still exist after stand 5 has been shot, then tied competitors shall start again at stand 3 and continue the same rotation until a winner is determined. At all times competitors must shoot at an equal number of targets.

Sportrap is a domestic discipline administered by the CPSA and Compak is an International discipline owned by FITASC.

One of the main differences is that in Sportrap it is run with a 5 person squad with the shooter starting in stand 1 continuing starting the rounds of 5 targets from the remaining 4 cages.

Compak has recently had a format change, it used to have six person squads with the sixth man waiting behind peg one. The shooter in stand one always starts each round of 5 targets. I think this format can still be used but in championships there is a continuous line of shooters queuing behind stand one. They feed into stand one as the previous shooter moves to stand two, you are then first to start the next round but you've had the opportunity to see the birds whilst you were waiting.

Sportrap is only shot in the UK, I think (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) they shoot a version of it in N. America called 5 Stand but the version properly called International Compak Sporting is very popular especially in Europe, Russia, South Africa.

Mr Potter

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back