Skeet guns for skeet shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one was a bit new to shooting still with a standard sporter but had the chance of another gun especially for skeet, what would you suggest that second gun should be? Nothing very expensive, just something optimised for the discipline.
I have a lovely 26 inch Perazzi Skeet SC3 ported top and bottom barrels for sale. 

Go on you know you want to. 

I have a lovely 26 inch Perazzi Skeet SC3 ported top and bottom barrels for sale. 

Go on you know you want to. 
does this fit in with "nothing expensive"? :)

What I'm taking from this thread is that I might as well get the sporter sorted. If I found a cheap skeet gun I liked then fair play, but that would just be avoiding the real issue. Which I am, really.

does this fit in with "nothing expensive"? :)

What I'm taking from this thread is that I might as well get the sporter sorted. If I found a cheap skeet gun I liked then fair play, but that would just be avoiding the real issue. Which I am, really.
Depends on what you think expensive 

speak on Saturday?

Am I detecting a shade of doubt regarding your existing sporter ? Things like "the barrels are a touch heavy", "the fit is not too good". Maybe the time has come to consider a gun swap. You mentioned the B25, that gun in skeet or sporter configuration weighs in at around 7 1/4lbs and with the fixed choke 27 1/2" barrels, will be lighter 'up front'. As I am unaware of your build or stature, but perhaps a lighter 28" barrels gun could be the way to go. Maybe spend some time trying as many different guns as possible and from that you should be able to build a 'shortlist'. Remember though,  that if you go down the road of a specific skeet gun it will ALWAYS be just that,  a skeet gun !

ehb102

The vast majority of skeet shooters shoot guns of 30, 32 inch barrel various reasons but mainly the weight helps with recoil and resale value.

The Americans are the same, longer barrels are the norm, quite a few use an auto for the 12g!!

if you were looking for a skeet gun which would allow you to shoot many skeet targets without suffering then maybe look at an auto. Peter Bloomfield has won the British Open for the last 2 years with an auto which is older than me!!!!

They do take a bit of getting used to, I would suggest trying several guns auto and o/u's and see what is comfortable for you.

good luck

Right, I digested all the posts, thank you for posting.

What I think I'd like is  30" barrels but have the gun well balanced or even back weighted. The Browning 425 is apparently known for being front heavy. I have a short stock, making the effect worse. Enough lead to balance it makes me slow. Before I start shopping does anyone have any recommendations for light barrelled guns? Preferably not £5k+. 

CG Syren?  The one I looked at at Potters came to the shoulder very comfortably and felt well balanced.  Shame it's ugly looking.

I've got a DT10 that has a stock of only 13.5 inches.  With 28 inch barrels it's very well balanced and certainly not front heavy.

The lightest barrels on a standard competition gun that I'm aware of are on the 682e, I own two 32" versions stamped 1420/1430. The DT10's run around the 1480-1550 mark I believe, still some way lighter than many where 1600-1700 isn't uncommon. 

I'm not a Miroku expert but I do know some versions have rather light barrels so definitely worth checking there as well. 

ps. the K80 Parcour runs out at 1400g for a 32" version but even I find them too light plus they're well over budget. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what? Before I bought the 425 I loved the DT10. I shot a friend's and adored it. I let myself be persuaded by a gun shop expert that the Browning was better suited to me. Not the same person I bought the gun from but still! Kicking myself now.

You do a lot of the Shotgun and Chelsea Bun Club meets don't you?  If you ever get down to the West Kent or Northall ones let me know and I'll happily meet you there afterwards and let you have a go with both my DT10 and Silver Pigeon.  They both have 13.5 inch stocks and 28inch barrels.  Is that stock length about right for you?

You do a lot of the Shotgun and Chelsea Bun Club meets don't you?  If you ever get down to the West Kent or Northall ones let me know and I'll happily meet you there afterwards and let you have a go with both my DT10 and Silver Pigeon.  They both have 13.5 inch stocks and 28inch barrels.  Is that stock length about right for you?
thanks! I do less these days. That's a week bit off my patch, although I will be in Kent for Xmas. I'm so all over with the stock that I can't be sure but sounds in the right ballpark if it's straight.

If you are in Kent in the few days before Christmas or between Christmas and New Year and can sneak out for a few hours I can meet you at either West Kent or Willow Farm Shooting Ground (near Tenterden) with my guns.  Just let me know how you're fixed nearer the time.

Back