Shooting Glasses ....?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. Ian ok ..I need to get the BBQ ready ..... We've got the guests coming over tonight

Thanks Ian ! Weather is better today , we had a bad thunderstorm yesterday

Last edited:
Decided on these after long deliberation...... PILLA ZIESS OUTLAW X ED THREE LENS SET

Thanks also to Ed for his help

Last edited:
Well my Pilla Fugitves arrived this morning courtesy of Ed Lyons...... and all I can is WOW

You really do get what you pay for..................

post-1864-0-10581600-1380705961.jpg

post-1864-0-12724000-1380705973.jpg

Attachments

• ZOE_0006.jpg
    ZOE_0006.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ZOE_0007.jpg
    ZOE_0007.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 0
I must say the Randolf Engineering are ones that I am fancying and the quality is superb. The Randolf sun glasses are used by the US airforce so they must be good. I do think that Pilla prices are a bit over the top for what you get and the lens quality I don't believe is the quality of Randolf.

Phil

Zeiss lenses are the bees knees , tried the Randloph's but they are no where near in the same league hence my comment " you get what you pay for " ! 

Zeiss lenses are the bees knees , tried the Randloph's but they are no where near in the same league hence my comment " you get what you pay for "
I confess that I didn't realise that they were Carl Zeiss lenses, yes I can see the why they are as expensive.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
So is this £600 price tag with standard lenses or prescription?
I would need a "prescription"........... for valium........ if I spent £600 on a pair of shooting specs!!!! You can actually get Zeiss glasses for a lot less than £600, in fact if you shop around they can be found for a third of that price or even less. I could not justify spending so much on a pair of shooting specs, no matter how good they are and there is also no need to either. Zeiss are not the only people who make good lenses, there are lots of good ones out there and for a lot less money too! 

I would need a "prescription"........... for valium........

This I Like :)

Les its not often you and I disagree...

However, you get what you pay for and lens quality on specs or scopes or binocs are a prime example. I have had many scopes that were rubbish and a couple of binocs that were truly awful and lost count of how many utter rubbish shooting glasses I have had but I bet if I added the cost of all the rubbish ones it would not be far off the cost of my 4 lens Pilla

Enjoy them you can obviously afford them... but as an aside you will have too at that price if you have the slightest doubt your heart will sink a mile. I did some thing else bought an immaculate second hand pair of Randolph Ranger XLW with four sets of lenses for a £116 delivered buying a pair of the deep purple from Ed for another £38 plus p&p so £165 the lot that is more my price range. I don't expect to hit anymore than I did before but if I do its a bonus and they may help see the target a bit better. They are no fashion statement but hey I'm shooting not poncing about on a cat walk :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say the Randolf Engineering are ones that I am fancying and the quality is superb. The Randolf sun glasses are used by the US airforce so they must be good. I do think that Pilla prices are a bit over the top for what you get and the lens quality I don't believe is the quality of Randolf.

Phil
I have a specially picked set of Randolphs including the 'fighter pilot' one and they are great......but......not as good IMHO as the new 46N's that i now have. I use them in all lights except looking into direct sun....Then the fighter pilots or Fire come out.....but as a trappie i should not have to worry about direct sun...we dont throw targets through it... just saying..!

:wink:

Enjoy them you can obviously afford them... but as an aside you will have too at that price if you have the slightest doubt your heart will sink a mile. I did some thing else bought an immaculate second hand pair of Randolph Ranger XLW with four sets of lenses for a £116 delivered buying a pair of the deep purple from Ed for another £38 plus p&p so £165 the lot that is more my price range. I don't expect to hit anymore than I did before but if I do its a bonus and they may help see the target a bit better. They are no fashion statement but hey I'm shooting not poncing about on a cat walk :)
Play nice matey....no one and i mean no one wears any of these shooting glasses as a fashion statement or to ponce around....most people would not know one lense from another. 

And.....as we have tried to say many times before......it is all to do with what suits 'your' eye colour range....there is not a one type fits all glory glass....it is all dependent on how you see colours.

As for costs....then people should choose what they can afford...but not pull down people who just can afford more......this is about technical issues not how big is your purse.....

Hell fire I hope we do not get on to how much we all pay for game shooting...... :wink: i could keep a very small country afloat with what i have gone through over the years :laugh:

Actually when I sit back and think how much I have paid out for glasses in the past three years----ouch.

A pair of floating Dirty Dogs for my fly fishing                                                                 £45.00

A pair of Beretta shooting glasses--crap and uncomfortable after an hour.                   £55.00

A pair of Maui Jims sunglasses for me                                                                         £135.00

A pair of Maui Jims sunglasses for my wife                                                                  £150.00

Two pairs of interchangeable lens glasses from High Lodge, now both broken             £65.00

TOTAL                £450.00

My god I had not aware just how much I have lashed out in just 3 years. My wife and I have swapped Maui Jims and I tend to shoot in those most of the time but then orange clays can be a little lost, can't cope with bright conditions otherwise I am squinting like hell even on overcast days.  Anybody want some Beretta specs ?

Phil

Play nice matey....no one and i mean no one wears any of these shooting glasses as a fashion statement or to ponce around....most people would not know one lense from another. 

And.....as we have tried to say many times before......it is all to do with what suits 'your' eye colour range....there is not a one type fits all glory glass....it is all dependent on how you see colours.

As for costs....then people should choose what they can afford...but not pull down people who just can afford more......this is about technical issues not how big is your purse.....

Hell fire I hope we do not get on to how much we all pay for game shooting...... :wink: i could keep a very small country afloat with what i have gone through over the years :laugh:
No malice or put down in my post Nic statement of fact for me anyway. Let me say I could afford those glasses its no problem I just cannot justify the cost.. I am Scottish you know! Seriously though If I thought that my score would significantly improve I would buy them... they won't. I paid over £600 for my reading glasses why? Because I cannot read without them but my long vision is absolutely superb according to my Optometrists. I am not putting anybody down and I am not interested in the cost of a days shooting either if things I bought came down to bank balance I would be shooting an SO5 or some sort but I don't, it won't make me shoot any more targets. I am thinking about a new gun but it wont be anywhere near what my bank balance could sustain ... that is not a  brag either just another statement of fact! ;)

Yes.....as Nicola  said...................its all about affordability !! and I,m not getting into that argument openly !

No malice or put down in my post Nic statement of fact for me anyway. Let me say I could afford those glasses its no problem I just cannot justify the cost.. I am Scottish you know! Seriously though If I thought that my score would significantly improve I would buy them... they won't. I paid over £600 for my reading glasses why? Because I cannot read without them but my long vision is absolutely superb according to my Optometrists. I am not putting anybody down and I am not interested in the cost of a days shooting either if things I bought came down to bank balance I would be shooting an SO5 or some sort but I don't, it won't make me shoot any more targets. I am thinking about a new gun but it wont be anywhere near what my bank balance could sustain ... that is not a  brag either just another statement of fact! ;)
But i feel that you are still not getting the point being made......it is nothing to do with bank balances....it is to do with what works 'for you' and whether you can afford it.....

And....if you can afford it....then you don't need someone saying you are poncing around making a fashion statement....or hinting at that is the only reason someone would buy this kit....

....just saying....in the nicest possible way...!

P.s. No one who is serious would want to compete with an SO5...apart from it being a Beretta...it would fall to bits......(as it did with darlings) ...been there done that....not going there again :wink:

I did $50 OZ dollars in two days for sunglasses, .

One pair washed away in the surf,  and had to be replaced next day, 

The original pair were polarised aviator types,   magic for glare reduction, 

The second was this iridium coating stuff,  looked cool, but ruins your depth perspective,   (just what you need when stepping off kerbs with a broken neck . )

Suffice to say they went in the back of the car .

Mart

Back