Rio Target 20

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

Ok, Hamids cartridge review is a proper one. The following is much less so!

Shot today with Banger at EJC Challenge. It was a bleeding challenge in that wind!

Mindful of his impressive performance at RBSS (and other places), and noticing that some of his edge on kills have been heavy, I shot a couple of his Rio Target 7.5 28g plas wad cartridges today. It was on a nice easy stand, but produced two balls of soot, on par at least with my Clever T2's.

My first impression was that the recoil was almost identical to the Clever T2. (Banger agreed when he tried mine). So, nice on the shoulder, no hideous noise level etc. so that keeps my interest going, which could otherwise have stopped right there!

I took a few home and did a bit of quick pattern testing. The rough diameter of the pattern is just a shade bigger than the equivalent T2 or Hull Pro one, but the Rio does have a very good pellet distribution (pattern) for a cartridge in this price range. NOT an overly dense centre, although there are a few fliers at the outside. My gun is fixed half choke.

The 7.5 shot is 2.37mm according to the case, so that's nearly a UK 7 I think.

Can't comment on barrel cleanliness as I haven't shot enough.

I would be keen to try some 8 shot versions, to up the pellet count. Hopefully the patterns would not suffer too much, as smaller shot usually deforms more.

So in early summary, a VERY good value for money offering (£165 ish).

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot these and find them to be as good as any cartridge I've used before and we buy a pallet at a time direct from CCI so pay £144 a thousand

Great price (for big volume). If I wasn't so far from you I would be round seeing if I could buy a few from you.

Anybody know where they are stocked nearer to Berkshire? I believe you can buy them at the Crazy Bear shoot.

Ok, Hamids cartridge review is a proper one. The following is much less so!

Shot today with Banger at EJC Challenge. It was a bleeding challenge in that wind!

Mindful of his impressive performance at RBSS (and other places), and noticing that some of his edge on kills have been heavy, I shot a couple of his Rio Target 7.5 28g plas wad cartridges today. It was on a nice easy stand, but produced two balls of soot, on par at least with my Clever T2's.

My first impression was that the recoil was almost identical to the Clever T2. (Banger agreed when he tried mine). So, nice on the shoulder, no hideous noise level etc. so that keeps my interest going, which could otherwise have stopped right there!

I took a few home and did a bit of quick pattern testing. The rough diameter of the pattern is just a shade bigger than the equivalent T2 or Hull Pro one, but the Rio does have a very good pellet distribution (pattern) for a cartridge in this price range. NOT an overly dense centre, although there are a few fliers at the outside. My gun is fixed half choke.

The 7.5 shot is 2.37mm according to the case, so that's nearly a UK 7 I think.

Can't comment on barrel cleanliness as I haven't shot enough.

I would be keen to try some 8 shot versions, to up the pellet count. Hopefully the patterns would not suffer too much, as smaller shot usually deforms more.

So in early summary, a VERY good value for money offering (£165 ish).
Intersting Hew. I am looking forward to the article from the cartridge doctor in the next few Pull publications. There are a lot of ggod priced carts out there at the moment, but as my old mate TipTop knows it is a mental thing what you stick up the spout. I loved Eley superbs until they priced me out. Gutted. stew

Turns out the local gunshop in Maidenhead (Sheephouse shooting) stocks RIO! Only the 7.5's in at the mo..

That fella is the most miserable git ever - but, what was the price like Clever?

I noticed these in the bag of a local AAA shooter when I happened to be in his squad.

Good enough for him too good for me!

Rob at Sheephouse?? he is a miserable git at times but he grows on you ! it hink from memory they are a little less that Hull super fast I buy from him at circa £40 per 250

I'm wondering if they might be the big 'find' for quality and value.. Keen to learn more..
Definately would recommend the Rio 28g Fibre 9's for when you boys get fed up wandering about in the woods and start shooting a serious discipline!

I think what we all want to know is... How many dozen will they put on my score card, what %antimony are they, what colour is the powder (ideally shap of flakes) and can the wad double up as an accordion? Let me know before bedtime otherwise it will be another restless night!

I think what we all want to know is... How many dozen will they put on my score card, what %antimony are they, what colour is the powder (ideally shap of flakes) and can the wad double up as an accordion? Let me know before bedtime otherwise it will be another restless night!
Quite. For me it's: Do they throw a shape about like the ones I'm used to, do they feel similar (recoil), do they cost the same or less and can I GET them easily?

Well I just patterned some Rio Target 20, 8 shot, plas wad. (As opposed to the 7.5 I started this thread with).

Flippin' 'eck! These appear very promising indeed.

At 15 yards they open out well, (just a bit wider than a Clever T2 or Hull Pro One) to a `diameter` of 16" through my Perazzi, 1/2 choke. Very even pellet distribution, plus a few fliers.

At 20 yards, all still nice and even.

By 25 yards, the pattern remains very even and is not starting to blow. Similar `diameter` to a T2 or Pro One. Denser in the middle but just by the `right` amount, so pellets are being used everywhere. Interestingly, at 25 yards, the wad bounced off the cardboard (as opposed to going through it), which I have not seen before. The petals had opened fully and it was clearly slowing up instantly and not interfering with the shot long after leaving the gun.

It remains for me to shoot some clays with them. The very useful spread of pellets is good news for long useable pattern, but likely wont produce great `smoke` after 30 yards. Give me that even pellet spread everytime for Sporting. I will know more about recoil when I shoot clays; it all feels weird in a field shooting cardboard, but I am sure they are not punchy.

Sorry that I don't do much very scientifically; I just look for key pointers which these seem to achieve..

At £162.50, these seem very good value so far..

Latest posts

Back