Eley Hawk Titanium Strike & Titanium

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it's a "buying into a brand" thing and a "lifestyle choice" as the marketing people would put it. Gamebore are masters at it. Why does anyone under A class use top end shells or choke? All they're doing is handicapping themselves further.

I shoot a lot of game days and atleast half the time the worst shot in the line will be using Black Gold. Its all just marketing. 

It clearly works as these cartridges still exist. Many a time I have missed a bird and thought if only I'd have had a cartridge with a high density case,nickel head to aid ejection,incorrectly sized shot for increased "lethality"?! and a fancy embossed box I might have hit that!

PM.
To be fair the Black Gold Game kill really well, they are very punchy though, I couldn't shoot the clay loads.

I ended up on the Hull High Pheasant Extreme towards the end of last season and they are also a good shell, kill equally as well as the BG but softer on the shoulder.

I'm not sponsored by either, just what I experienced personally.

I remember way back in the 70's Eley produced a nickel cartridge, the nickel coating made the shot rounder and smoother for better patterns, are they just revamping a old idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be a stupid point but:

If a golf ball needs to be textured to fly straight, does shot not benefit from the same principle, so smoother could be a hindrance?

Excellent Jonny...............Is this why Jocker has it fans?

I remember way back in the 70's Eley produced a nickel cartridge, the nickel coating made the shot rounder and smoother for better patterns, are they just revamping a old idea?
Well remembered! Eley Olympic Gold. Black and Gold box and a red paper case if I recall. 

Wonder what they cost a thousand back then?!

PM.

The marketing seems to be doing the trick, granted they do seem expensive , however they must be worth a try alongside your normal choice.The price point when available should be similar to Hull Sovereign, Black Gold etc.

Never been a great fan of Eley but curiousitly will get me to try 100 shells, I think a good all rounder is the Hull Pro One at the moment Bywell’s are offering them at £224 per 1000 so the Eley will have to completely “ SMOKE “ virtually all of my kills to get me to switch.

Kelbrook I feel are doing the right thing with the launch price they are offering.

lets see 

This might be a stupid point but:

If a golf ball needs to be textured to fly straight, does shot not benefit from the same principle, so smoother could be a hindrance?
Golf balls don't fly straight, far from it. 

A golf ball depends on the dimples and backspin. The backspin imparts some gyroscopic stability but the combination of the two reduces pressure over the top of the ball and increases it under the bottom of the ball resulting in lift. A dimpled golf ball climbs away quite quickly and sinks in rapidly as the forward momentum drops off.  Hit the ball off centre and you impart a degree of lateral spin, clockwise ( from the top )  and you have a push, a slight right curve handy for tucking the ball around a fairway, really get the spin going and the slice will take the ball so far off to the right that the group on fairway 14 heading in the opposite direction will teach you some new Anglo Saxon terms. Conversely just a bit of counter-clockwise rotation and the hook can negotiate a left curved fairway. Too much and you are looking for a new ball. Dimples and spin are going to curve a ball ( or shot )

Getting all the pellets in a 28g cartridge to spin identically so that the shot flight is predictable is a non starter. Using highly polished shot reduces the Bernoulli effect and the shot will fly a lot straighter. 

I’ve shot the titanium 28g 7.5s. I shot them alongside some superbs 28g 7.5s and my usual Olympic blues 28g 8s.

To me there was no noticeable difference between the titanium and my blues (apart from the ridiculous price) but the superbs were excellent, really smooth. A lovely cartridge to shoot, £35 a tho dearer than the blues but worth it in my opinion. 

I’ve shot the titanium 28g 7.5s. I shot them alongside some superbs 28g 7.5s and my usual Olympic blues 28g 8s.

To me there was no noticeable difference between the titanium and my blues (apart from the ridiculous price) but the superbs were excellent, really smooth. A lovely cartridge to shoot, £35 a tho dearer than the blues but worth it in my opinion. 
I shot the Superbs at the EO pool shoot (and won 50 of them) and yes they were particularly smooth. To me, this is one of the most tempting reasons to use a more expensive cartridge (assuming the pattern is good also). If these Titanium thingys aren't smooth, then why you would pay the huge price is even more of a mystery to me.

I would not expect to see many people shooting these at every target, the price would potentially be prohibitive. 

I would expect to see them used in the same way that Black Gold (Dark Storm), Sovereign (Parcours), and so on shells are used. People keep a box in the bag for any target that needs a bit of extra 'crunching power' like something very edgy or rabbits at distance. 

There is an interesting thread on Pigeonwatch forum where a member has done extensive tests on many cartridge brands  testing their velocity . Interesting reading if you look up some of the 'Premium' and compare with the 'economy' .

It could help many of you to spend wisely. 

Golf balls don't fly straight, far from it. 
Especially IF you are an Irishman with a Trap shooters mentality  !     :mosking:

Perhaps I should explain then !

A certain Irish golfer was involved in an altercation with a photographer in the past few days. It would appear that the aforementioned photographer had the audacity to click his camera, just as the golfer was taking his 'shot'. This caused the shot or ball to go wide of the target. Smacks a bit of Trappies who seem to be able to hear a cow breaking wind from 2 fields away......................alleged  !

We sporting shooters just get on with things    :angel:  

Set up a crosser and a Teal at 50 yards, get half a dozen AA's to shoot them blind with coated and regular, if the Eley rep can tell the breaks apart I'll pay it. 

Out of curiosity I'll buy a box when finances permit but I'd probably be a bag of nerves shooting them in competition if I bought a thou. 
This! We have been here so many times before and the truth is no manufacturer has, to my knowledge, ever proved the efficacy of one cartridge over another... there is a good reason for that!

This! We have been here so many times before and the truth is no manufacturer has, to my knowledge, ever proved the efficacy of one cartridge over another... there is a good reason for that!
Especially when they are spending all of their hard earned profits in devising yet another,  "Screw the shooter"  campaign    !      :???:   

So i shot 18 on the poole shoot at Westfeld,the cartridge of choice Jockers :eek:  never shot them before...did i feel hindered by the cartridge in any way ...No!

Will i be saving myself 50gbp a 1000 very likely for most things  :D

Nowt Wrong with Jockers! and with the savings on the Titanium nonsense you can get a few more rounds in 😊

Have a shot a 1000 of the Jocker 'Super Flash' 24grm 7.5s, a really impressive shell and on reclaimed lead shot too - think the 1500 I bought were £197/1000 from Claverdon Cartridges.

Have a shot a 1000 of the Jocker 'Super Flash' 24grm 7.5s, a really impressive shell and on reclaimed lead shot too - think the 1500 I bought were £197/1000 from Claverdon Cartridges.
I think jocker ran out of reclaimed shot some time ago has any one cut open a recent batch to see?

If correct £197/1000 is fair but not the best price for only 24gm you can get 28gm fibre for less.

cant see them staying at that price, almost no one would be willing to pay those prices on a regular basis . ya i might get a slab to try them but that would be about it . no way id pay that kind of money on a regular basis 

not when Fiocchi Fblacks are €237 euro a thousand . approx £205 at my local dealer

Set up a crosser and a Teal at 50 yards, get half a dozen AA's to shoot them blind with coated and regular, if the Eley rep can tell the breaks apart I'll pay it.
+1

Out of curiosity I'll buy a box when finances permit but I'd probably be a bag of nerves shooting them in competition if I bought a thou. 
Better not miss.......😎

Latest posts

Back