Removing Perazzi recoil pad

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curious2

Anyone had recent experience of removing a factory fitted glued on pad from an MX12. Would be interested in any advice or tips before I start.

Glued? Are you sure there are not some holes to access screws? They may look closed in the rubber.

Yes, I think they do glue them on some of the p guns, get a sharp knife and work round the edge

What Mark said, usually a Stanley knife blade, once you open it up enough You can use a paint scraper to get the rest off

:fie:  My MX12 was glued on and it came off on its own!  my old gunsmith could take them off with a junior hacksaw blade very carefully.

NOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOO!!!  Use a single edge razor blade starting at the point of the toe.    Not a razor knife, not a knife.  Then gently tap it around until the pad is lose.  If you use anything else to start you'll dent the wood and then you're screwed.  People seem crazy to replace the factory pads but the stocks that I have with original pads are just fine.  I guess I'm not very sensitive.

A hacksaw?!?!  Why not just a hammer and chisel?  How to make a 5min job a disaster.

Must be that hypothermic central nervous system damage

Last edited by a moderator:
Heat up the recoil pad around the stock with a hair dryer to help soften the glue, not too much as you do not want to wreck the pad by melting it. Sometimes a sharp knock on the recoil pad will remove it once it has been heated up. Or use a flat thin paint scraper or thin knife to start to separate the pad from the stock. Then use a length of fishing nylon between the recoil pad and stock and pull the nylon straight down. Once you have it started it doesn't take long and there is no damage to the stock or pad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the good advice, will try the heat, razor blade, fishing line approach.

What a very silly method of attaching a recoil pad.

Many years ago a certain Mr Beretta struck upon the idea of two hidden screws this meant that Beretta owners (a very savvy lot) could have three different thickness pads in order to fit what suited them without sawing any wood to change the LOP. A simple but brilliant idea. I wonder why all manufacturers of high end competition guns do not offer there shooters this highly advantageous technical wizardry. Instead they glue the thing on. Tis madness to me.

PS

Yet another reason why any "serious" shooter should get themselves a Beretta, a quality product and user friendly, spares are not an "absolute requirement" like some guns and you can put a cartridge in without having to open the "gape" Sensible barrel lengths in English old money none of this weird continental thing its a proper English 30 or 32" not 29 and a little bit.

NOTE

I have no connection with Beretta nor am I sponsored by them (mores the pity) just a long term customerwho values the excellence that is BERETTA.

:)

Totally agree ips. BUT why don't Manufacturers just copy the Beretta gel pad method of attachment. 2 plastic lugs and a sliding metal clip arrangement. Two seconds to change or remove the pad. This should be a standard fitment on all Competition guns where looks are not quite so important, but stock removal or recoil pad change, to alter length, are.

By the way, my Beretta has no gape at all........................it's an auto.  :spiteful:  

Westley

Can't comment not seen that method of removal but sounds even better than my screw jobs. Your auto does have gape,, a ruddy big hole in the side of the thing ; )

I have this very morning been marvelling at Mr Beretta's brilliance, removing a new Beretta recoil pad by inserting a lubricated screwdriver into the minute holes and joyfully unwinding the securing screws.

Mind you the locating lugs are soooo tight I had to resort to percussive persuasion to get the dam' thing off. 

Better than glue, though.

Totally agree ips. BUT why don't Manufacturers just copy the Beretta gel pad method of attachment. 2 plastic lugs and a sliding metal clip arrangement. Two seconds to change or remove the pad. This should be a standard fitment on all Competition guns where looks are not quite so important, but stock removal or recoil pad change, to alter length, are.

By the way, my Beretta has no gape at all........................it's an auto.  :spiteful:
I think it might be something to do with the fact that a Perazzi can be ordered new with any length of stock you might need, and all the other measurements too come to that. A tacky gel pad with clips would hardly look the part if you had just shelled out £8.5k for a made to measure gun, in the hope you might shoot like George D., and you end up with something made to fit no one in particular for what now seems like a lot of money at £1600 min.

I think it might be something to do with the fact that a Perazzi can be ordered new with any length of stock you might need, and all the other measurements too come to that. A tacky gel pad with clips would hardly look the part if you had just shelled out £8.5k for a made to measure gun, in the hope you might shoot like George D., and you end up with something made to fit no one in particular for what now seems like a lot of money at £1600 min.
Yes and you can go to perazzi factory get all measured up then get home and realise you don't dry mount the same as you do at the ground so have to have length put on or taken off, same goes for cast.

Not everyone I accept that but I have known more than one as above scenario.

I suppose it is perfectly fine to tolerate all the deficiencies of Beretta for the offsetting ease of recoil pad removal.  But, then again, I don't seem to spend that much time whipping one pad off and another on, etc.  Guess I must be missing some real excitement there, eh?

You love em really Charlie your just in denial

Latest posts

Back