Recommend me a pocket knife..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it the favourite type because of the bottle opener?.   

I carry a Vitrinox with me at all times. A very hand little knife.
I have a wee Swiss army knife which I have with me at all times when out and about.. great for many things but cutting a fine Magret de Canard or opening a bottle of fine Bordeaux is not something I would recommend  in a dinning room :)  

I think if you look closely you will observe there is no " bottle opener " on that knife. There is a cork screw... anybody who knows about fine wines knows the difference :)
I stand corrected and bow to your expertise on anything wine related 

when I was a kid early seventies I had a sheath knife on my person all the time apart from when at school (which wasn't often) I now have a lock knife with me most of the time apart from around town (which isn't often) cant see the problem of a law abiding citizen carrying a knife. One must differentiate between law abiding bloke and scroat bag scum.

when I was a kid early seventies I had a sheath knife on my person all the time apart from when at school (which wasn't often) I now have a lock knife with me most of the time apart from around town (which isn't often) cant see the problem of a law abiding citizen carrying a knife. One must differentiate between law abiding bloke and scroat bag scum.
That brings back memories. I had a lovely 6 inch sheath knife I carried everywhere, even at school as scouts we were allowed to, imagine that today.

"It is illegal to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place (with the exception of a folding pocket knife, which has a blade that is less than 7.62 cm (3 inches)). ... However, possession of a lock knife in a public place without reasonable excuse is an offence."

What is a reasonable excuse? I've carried a 3" lock knife with me every day for the past 10 years. It is an essential tool that gets used every day for anything from opening a letter to cutting baling twine to whittling wood. If mr plod ever questioned my carrying of said knife and wanted to confiscate it, I'd be very upset.

Looking in to knife laws, it seems several of the blades I own are illegal in the UK now. I'd happily hand them in to an amnesty but there's no way I'd want to lose my lock knife. I'm not sure why the fact that a knife locks makes any difference as you can buy a fixed blade of any length. What's this country going to be like in 20 years?  :angry:
That is the law.  Knee jerk reaction law of course.  I would suggest not carrying a lock knife.  You could lose your SGC over it.  Lots of nice slip joints which do the same job.

I don't get it.

if you can legaly buy a lock knife what you supposed to do with it if you can't carry it ??

That brings back memories. I had a lovely 6 inch sheath knife I carried everywhere, even at school as scouts we were allowed to, imagine that today.
yep, twas in the days you had breakfast then beggered off in the fields only going home for your evening meal. Sheath knife on yer belt air rifle in your hand and a packet of refreshers in your pocket...oh and a packet of embassy no6 of course ?

I don't get it.

if you can legaly buy a lock knife what you supposed to do with it if you can't carry it ??

yep, twas in the days you had breakfast then beggered off in the fields only going home for your evening meal. Sheath knife on yer belt air rifle in your hand and a packet of refreshers in your pocket...oh and a packet of embassy no6 of course ?
Got to disagree on the cigs Ian they were Players were the not ? The Embassy equivalent was "Regal" I think. I used to get three smokes from one Players number 6 cigarette snibbed it twice   :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get it.

Use it on private property - or if you have good reason in public.  For instance bush crafting, stalking, hunting, etc.  

The carry restriction is only the in public.

Use it on private property - or if you have good reason in public.  For instance bush crafting, stalking, hunting, etc.  

The carry restriction is only the in public.
I have good reason then its when I am working the dog in case she gets stuck in summat.

I did carry a sturdy 1 inch blade lock knife in my shooting bag to cut open any dud cartridges to remove the powder.  A policeman advised me to get rid of the knife to avoid any awkward discussion as he thought a shooting ground would be considered as a public place.  Knife destroyed.

Got to disagree on the cigs Ian they were Players were the not ? The Embassy equivalent was "Regal" I think. I used to get three smokes from one Players number 6 cigarette snibbed it twice   :lol:
you sure ? I thought they were embassy. I do remember soveriegn though, gold packet. Used to hide em down me undies when being forced to run a cross country at school. Did three hundred yards then hid in the bushes, had a fag and waited for the soft beggers to complete said pointless run then join them walking back looking knackered ? we later evolved to a fag and a double diamond ?

untitled.pngDefo Players   but do you remember Park Lane, Bristol and Woodbine available in 5's !! :lol:  may haved been Park Drive ? It was a long time ago :lol:

I stand corrected. In my defence it was fourty years ago. God I feel old now ?

ps

yep I do. Our local grocers in early 70s used to sell what we called "seps" as in one fag, think they were 2p each they had no issue in those days selling em to 11 yr olds ?

don't know but a bottle of double diamond I seem to remember was 10p ?

There was an iced cream van used to come to our school at lunch time and after school if you wanted a single cigarette you asked for a "Bo Peep" god knows why :lol:

And a pint of bitter was about 15p if I recall
WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ! I was buying a pint of heavy when I was 18 and it was only 13 pence then ! Under age was a pint of light at 11 pence. When I started drinking, legally, you could buy NINE PINTS of light for 99 pence and I am only 62...  mind you even then light only made you want to go to the loo  :lol:  I think it was about 3.1 %  Lager back then was not a drink available in every pub even but cost 16 pence a pint ... outrageous !!

I don't get it.

'Twas Embassy no1 for me! Don't think they did number 6's when I was at it. 

There was an iced cream van used to come to our school at lunch time and after school if you wanted a single cigarette you asked for a "Bo Peep" god knows why :lol:

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ! I was buying a pint of heavy when I was 18 and it was only 13 pence then ! Under age was a pint of light at 11 pence. When I started drinking, legally, you could buy NINE PINTS of light for 99 pence and I am only 62...  mind you even then light only made you want to go to the loo  :lol:  I think it was about 3.1 %  Lager back then was not a drink available in every pub even but cost 16 pence a pint ... outrageous !!
Jesus! If beer was 13p when I was 18 I'm not sure I would be around now.. I mourn the days of 50p pint student nights and 15 quid 'drink all you can'...

Jesus! If beer was 13p when I was 18 I'm not sure I would be around now.. I mourn the days of 50p pint student nights and 15 quid 'drink all you can'...
When I was 21 I could buy four pints of heavy, best to you English boys, for less than a pound.. in Edinburgh city centre !!!  FIFTEEN QUID DRINK ALL YOU CAN ??!!!?? In my day that would have been a death sentence or asking for a refund as you left the hostelry pissed but had drank nowhere near £15 worth :lol:

I remember when I started "supping" in pubs at 17 you could get pushed and buy ten fags for £2 a night. Snakebight followed by JD chaser was popular then we moved on to newky brown with JD chaser. Once had a session in a yates bar on Ozzie white and cider.....only did it once ?

Latest posts

Back