recoil

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately the bodyweight/boxing analogy doesn't hold up ref recoil for various reasons.

Recoil is cumulative- the bigger bloke does indeed soak up recoil more than the little bloke. In the long run this is more likely to cause damage than the guy "riding" the punch.

Going shot for shot with someone as you put it is very little to do with bodyweight. Big man doesn't = big hit. Just as much a technique issue as shooting :)

I think the "not holding the gun properly" might be fair with beginners, but I'm pretty sure the likes of Dave Izzard, Stuart Clarke etc etc hold the gun about right, yet look at the issues they have had.

There are lots of ways to deal with/prevent recoil problems, but it goes way past fit and bangers.

To Be fair through this whole issue I have assumed that the individual is in good physical shape and does not have bad joints or medial problems associated with spine of the like. Put simply if your body cannot absorb a heavy shock then you are always going to be at some considerable disadvantage. I know people who have such bad joints that they would be unable to shoot it would just knock them about too much. Perhaps those with, shall we say, a more robust physique will fair better than others?

I'm lucky in that I don't really suffer from recoil issues (now I have learnt to mount my gun properly nowadays!), but after reading this thread, I'm just happy I can use it as an excuse to tell the missus why I ordered some more pies from the chippy....

To Be fair through this whole issue I have assumed that the individual is in good physical shape and does not have bad joints or medial problems associated with spine of the like. Put simply if your body cannot absorb a heavy shock then you are always going to be at some considerable disadvantage. I know people who have such bad joints that they would be unable to shoot it would just knock them about too much. Perhaps those with, shall we say, a more robust physique will fair better than others?
As per other thread:

You remain a pedant. 

Nobody gives a crap how much the gun recoils, when we aren't holding it and the gun is isolated.

We only care how much of that energy is transferred to us. You reduce this with a recoil reducer. End of. 

Nothing you say can or will change that.

Persisting along this line, only demonstrates your inability to face facts and your lack of competency in your understanding of simple Physics.

Recoil reduction, is not just for those for whom it is an issue.  I, like King Ed, have never had a problem with it.  I simply think that avoiding recoil, has got to be better for me and my shooting and it certainly has some very obvious benefits with regards to getting on a second target and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find second target or second barell acquisition is found with light load and well fitting gun. I am a prime example of needing soft recoil it can be found without gizmos.

Excuse me chaps.....Isis works....simples... :wink: just saying.....or else I would not use them.

Dave is a hero....true story...

Now I'll get my coat....I am orf....

This whole thread just makes me all the happier that recoil is not an issue that I have to deal with

'nother pie, please

I like the idea Simon but would the filling not drip out during use and make a right mess of your castelani ?

Back