RBSS final

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clynt

Well I must be very honest about this today ....it was not what I was really expecting target wise ? but saying that I did not know what to expect, after the qualifying round ? this may sound odd to many, but I felt it needed a few more targets with a bit of reality to them ? if it was intended to catch people out I think this was achieved 

personally found there was not enough to give AA-AAA shooters much chance !! the tower std killed most, shot as a report pair of long crossers, nobody new if the second clay was a midi ? and nor did the ref !!! too good for me 10 down by here my 3rd std guessed I could no longer win anything so lapped up the sun and just carried on.

Took a £5 off Welsh international Nigel Hart on over all nett score 80 to 73 which added to my enjoyment of the day :haha:

could be time for the organisers to take a good hard look at several points arising today  (1) target quality ....do the majority really enjoy being confused by technical type targets, would we prefer to be challenged by more targets with range and pace, ? is there enough quality there to separate the classes ? (2) handicaps... should any one really be given a start of 36 ? this chap won the gun with a course score of 63 = a 99  by no means is this comment intended to be belligerent or rude but I would doubt if any AAA-AA shooter had any chance today at all !! the grouse and the tower seeing to that ?

This is not intended to be ridiculing any efforts or organisation by the team who run this shoot, just points that I personally feel could make it better.

Hopefully others may put forward their views   

Handicap of 36? was it a cpsa or rbss based handicap, whichever with the prizes on offer and the standard needed to qualify I'd thought that the handicaps would have been reviewed for the finals day?

Even so well done him

Clynt, criticism is fine as long as it's constructive and you made it clear you were not belittling the guy who won the gun. I've always said targets that can't be straighted are neither funny nor imaginative.

Has anyone with a CPSA handicap ever won? I am not have a dig but feel that those with an RBSS handicap always win.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can put on any number of unstraightable birds, and I mean unstraightable by ANYONE in a month of Sundays. We're not talking  about charridy, the original thread is about improving the fairness of the shoot with a dose of reality check about certain stands.

QUITE A NUMBER OF CPSA SHOOTERS HAVE WON THIS JASON ALLWAY FOR ONE AND STEVE LOVATT IS ANOTHER

It is a great event and one where anyone of the finalists truly has the chance to lift the trophy

What more would you want from a final? if you look back at the qualifying rounds you will see plenty of CPSA shooters with a range of 18-25 handicaps as well

RBSS is an event that should be applauded and encouraged, sadly work and other commitments meant i missed out this year.

I do tend to agree any one can win as long as the targets are not all corporate style

I did win it in a shoot off against Ben hustlewaite and Dave Hughes which does prove good shooters can do it

I was not on form yesterday but there was enough there to hit to form a winning score , only my thoughts

Steve

I do feel nowadays we should have more stands and probably re think the grouse flush and again just my thoughts

I do look forward to this event every year it is a great sporting venue and a great bunch of friendly staff

I do tend to agree any one can win as long as the targets are not all corporate style

I did win it in a shoot off against Ben hustlewaite and Dave Hughes which does prove good shooters can do it

I was not on form yesterday but there was enough there to hit to form a winning score , only my thoughts

Steve

I do feel nowadays we should have more stands and probably re think the grouse flush and again just my thoughts

I do look forward to this event every year it is a great sporting venue and a great bunch of friendly staff
"enough there to form a winning score " really !!! your H/C of 4 !!!!!! even if you were 2 away on the grouse and 2 away on the tower which would have been world class that leaves you 1 clay  only.....to tie for first place ?? iffy rabbit - pencil edge on going away teal- awkward pair of driven  and you thought the other 70 were straight-able ? did any of the AAA guys actually nett score 90 or above ? 

I sense a little political correctness in your views m8 :spiteful:   

Clynto on my best form I should have hit a 90 not good enough to win on this occasion I grant you but the system is the system and we are not forced to go are we ?????

It's the same old conversation people want to hit clays they don't want to be demoralised by 50 yard edge on things that they might hit with an element of luck attached

Ps I don't do political correctness

Steve

Clynto on my best form I should have hit a 90 not good enough to win on this occasion I grant you but the system is the system and we are not forced to go are we ?????

It's the same old conversation people want to hit clays they don't want to be demoralised by 50 yard edge on things that they might hit with an element of luck attached

Ps I don't do political correctness

Steve
 fair points, do you think it could be tweeked to balance it a bit H/C wise ? it's sorted for us being CPSA members prior the event due to our current averages but I'm uncertain how the RBSS H/C reflect's the shooters ability on a one off shoot, did they H/C the winner on the day ? can't remember what Dylan said ?  he shot on my squad and can't remember him having a real bad std anywhere ? he did catch a broken clay smack in the face, lucky too because he never had any shooting specs on !!!

do you think there should be 2 separate prize formats, one for the CPSA handicap and one for non CPSA ? would have thought there is a big enough entry ?  

I agree with you Clint personally I would like to see a cap on handicaps of around 18 to 20 with the target quality as it is now but it's not my event so we can only have comments

Steve

To add a C class/novice view...I thought that the targets (as far as my scoring went) equated to a very stiff Championship course (which was pretty much what I was expecting). I went into the grouse stand with 47/70 so mid 60s to 70 as a realistic ambition. Scores were all 6s, 7s and 8s, with a 4 (unsurprisingly) on the high crossers (didn't hit any of the top one). Unfortunately the grouse was pretty much a humiliation and I slumped to a 53.

Personally I enjoyed things up to the grouse and what happened there can be put down to tension and experience (I had shot 12 and 15 there previously). The course in parts certainly had a wow factor and that should be the case for the major competitions. I had what I considered a slightly generous handicap on CPSA averages of 21...and personally think that 36 is probably mathematically too much as it equates to a CPSA average of 40! If a handicap was limited to 30 (reflecting a CPSA average in the high 40s) I personally think the handicap system would seem significantly more realistic.

I agree with you Clint personally I would like to see a cap on handicaps of around 18 to 20 with the target quality as it is now but it's not my event so we can only have comments

Steve
I always was under the impression the RBS was to be handicapped similar to golf & averages on ability etc for non Cpsa averages, well your right Steve about capping as with golf no matter how bad u play ur handicap is limited ie Men: 28Women: 36.... I think that's a fairer system !!

Last edited by a moderator:
To add a C class/novice view...I thought that the targets (as far as my scoring went) equated to a very stiff Championship course (which was pretty much what I was expecting). I went into the grouse stand with 47/70 so mid 60s to 70 as a realistic ambition. Scores were all 6s, 7s and 8s, with a 4 (unsurprisingly) on the high crossers (didn't hit any of the top one). Unfortunately the grouse was pretty much a humiliation and I slumped to a 53.

Personally I enjoyed things up to the grouse and what happened there can be put down to tension and experience (I had shot 12 and 15 there previously). The course in parts certainly had a wow factor and that should be the case for the major competitions. I had what I considered a slightly generous handicap on CPSA averages of 21...and personally think that 36 is probably mathematically too much as it equates to a CPSA average of 40! If a handicap was limited to 30 (reflecting a CPSA average in the high 40s) I personally think the handicap system would seem significantly more realistic.
 Radrac did you feel your H/C suited the previous course ? this is what I feel needs addressing and I am un-sure of how it can be done the new course was a new layout so this is why I wondered how the H/C works for RBSS shooters ?

Radrac did you feel your H/C suited the previous course ? this is what I feel needs addressing and I am un-sure of how it can be done the new course was a new layout so this is why I wondered how the H/C works for RBSS shooters ?
Hi Clynt nice to see you Tuesday .

I was listening at the start mate ,if you were a non cpsa shooter and had shot the course more than 4 times you were given a fixed HC if not it was done on four stands on tuesday.

I agree with chipper cap HC to say 20 ish max.My opinion

As Steve said its a good competition and  really friendly staff,looking forward to next year.

Clynt,

I thought my handicap was right for my CPSA average at the particular classification period...and 2/3 light at least for my current period (just ended) on an average course; the type of course though would be irrelevant if all the all handicaps were CPSA based, but that is not what the competition is all about.

What I think is important is looking at what is realistic at the very bottom of the "food chain". My average was calculated from my 2nd classification period ever, and led to a handicap of 21 (just 9 months of competitively shooting). For my first classification period (3 months of shooting competitively) I had an adjusted average of 58 which would have meant a handicap of 24 in the competition. That average was just 6 months from picking up a gun for the first time ...to me that makes handicaps of 30+ a little laughable if I could achieve a handicap of 24 six months after picking up a gun!!! and that seems to be the credibility gap in the RBSS system when considering a CPSA derived handicap versus a RBSS handicap determined on the day.

if one enters the competition one accepts the system operating on the day or days previously if you dont like the system or think it is biased in some way then dont enter the competition?

Back