Pigeon shooting 2014

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep im on the fence on game fair ..go most years and shot it a couple of times did well about 3 years ago there too on the 40 bird comp..i let you know if im going topdog...

yep im on the fence on game fair ..go most years and shot it a couple of times did well about 3 years ago there too on the 40 bird comp..i let you know if im going topdog...
Is that the CLA your on about mark ? Me and wife have already booked caravan pitch, its our 30th anniversary , doing the fair for a couple of days then a few days sight seeing,

I've promised a trip into London on the train for one of the days ( if she's good )

I will be taking the gun to try my luck, I've won a bit of money in the past

P,s sorry jumped in to soon (wrong game fair )

Last edited by a moderator:
Set up the goose decoys on the rape with a torch just off a big splash where the river has come out on a very big bend

Drove the truck out of sight and was walking back to my spot when I heard the first calls. Ran, jogged as best I could the last 60 yards back to the hide as the first skein came up the river to the bend and wheeled straight in, I was still trying to ram some lead in the tubes when they hit the deck out to the left 30 yards away. They were chattering away which encouraged another ten or so to come in for breakfast, shot the first one in and missed an easy one with the other barrel, all hell broke loose and the sky was full of geese,

Managed a right and left in the confusion and then it went quite for a few mins ( now 7 am and time for a quick coffee )

Could hear some calling, so got my caller out to reply, I got a reply and could hear em coming up the river, it seemed like ages but the sound was getting louder and louder until they were right behind me over the river, I couldn't believe my eyes, there must have been 200 of them, they got to the bend and a quick call from me they wheeled in to the pattern.

I think I must of caught the goose fever then cos I bloody missed both barrels. loaded quick and managed a tail ender.

It was the same story for the next half hour or so, with me calling and the geese coming now in 10s and 12s.

Knocked it on the head at 8.45 as they seemed to have gone somewhere else

Picked up 17 geese and 28 empty cartridges. Excellent sport and fast and furious, hoping to get out middle of the week for another go before work

" I was still trying to ram some lead in the tubes." 

Are you sure about that?

" I was still trying to ram some lead in the tubes."

Are you sure about that?[/quote

Your right, what it should have said was : I was still trying to ram some of that over priced crap we are forced to pay through the nose for into the tubes. But it didn't sound quite right

If you read, I said in an earlier post I was heading upstairs to sort out some appropriate cartridges

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the CLA your on about mark ?

Me and wife have already booked caravan pitch, its our 30th anniversary , doing the fair for a couple of days then a few days sight seeing,

I've promised a trip into London on the train for one of the days ( if she's good )

I will be taking the gun to try my luck, I've won a bit of money in the past

P,s sorry jumped in to soon (wrong game fair )
sorry ashley missed this post, I was on about Shepton Mallet game fair mate..never shot the cla gamefair but will one day..

Thanks joe, like I said absolutely knackered next day, I was supposed to go clay shooting at the club next day but couldn't even bear to look at the gun.

In over thirty years decoying I've never had pigeons come to the Decoys like it. They were traveling low up a ten acre field( because it was blowing hard ) in groups of ten or more, even when I shot the leading bird or birds, the rest in the group still came in to either land or circle, even when my younger lab was out there picking up. Shot 3 birds with one shot a couple of times and had 36 right and lefts, also went over 40 shots without missing, which beat my previous best of 32.

I regularly shoot 200+ and love taking people out who have never had much success, back in August I took a mate from the clay club who had never shot more than a dozen in one go,

Set him up and went to different field on my own, keeping in touch with Walkie talkies, he shot 173 and the look on his face when I picked him up was priceless

I keep very detailed records of the days, farm,field,crop,month,weather conditions, air pressure, cartridge to kill ratio
. That sounds like the dogs bollocks!!!!

Latest posts

Back