OT 24 or 28 gram

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No you ruddy well cant :D

Not sure about that but would guess you have to shoot 24 cos you could be a ringer ;)

Fred, David, 40UP could one of you tell me your thoughts on FBlu, FBlack, & Red Super Nics please.

What are the rules about 24g/28g for me? I'm unclassified. :/ Hmm...
you can use 28g but after the first 50 if you end with an A or B class average you then have to shoot left handed for the remaing 50 or use 24g but can't win any money just a cheeseburger and chips i think :D

No you ruddy well cant :D

Not sure about that but would guess you have to shoot 24 cos you could be a ringer ;)
Well, I am kind of a big deal...

That's put paid to that then - I'm having a hangover on Sunday instead of some OT! :D

Les

I havent patterned f Blu but have been shooting em for the last month or so and I can tell you that IMO they are a perfectly good cartridge and look very sexy with that chrome cap :D ............. however IMO they are not a patch on eley VIP problem is theres about £50 difference per thou :(
I may try some F Blu's  next year. I may also try a few RC's just for old times sake!!!! :)

I may try some F Blu's  next year. I may also try a few RC's just for old times sake!!!! :)
Les

Congrats on passing 1000 posts :)

I've been shooting F'blus recently having dropped the "superbs' due to price, especially with two of us rattling through them. :huh:   Can't say I've noticed any real difference to the Superbs (except in the wallet). Think I'm gonna try the F'blacks next time as they are only a tenner more per thou (1p more per bang).

DT

Hi Peter, I was off the internet for a week. Caught up with your post re the cartridge testing. F-blus 7.5 [english 7s] through my half choke Perazzi barrel gave areas with 10 times more pellets than other equal sized areas in the central core of the pattern, a spread of 2 foot at 30 yards with plenty of places you could pass a clay through. F-blacks a similar distribution again with blank areas within inches of the centre giving at best 90% kills. Red Shot Nik 6.5s from an Olympic batch supplied to Perilli more central maybe 15" effective but still not even. Simply put - in these shot sizes 24gm isn't guaranteed edge on at receding targets. You and I don't have to discuss cigar shaped shot strings etc. There's an element of luck involved which I'd rather not know about and would like to return to blind confidence in the cartridge.

David

ps Now I've started down this dark tunnel the next test will have to be smaller shot and the loss of kinetic energy - at least these shot sizes emerged from the back of the testing boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I patterned vip 24 with Roy a few months back and can report no such gaps.

Interesting. I patterned vip 24 with Roy a few months back and can report no such gaps.
Temperature was low [near freezing] and shot sizes large but the erratic distribution worrying. Got some Shootoffs and Sovereigns [7.5s] to test so I'll try a warmer shooting range.

FDT

David,

Thank you for the reply.

It really is interesting to pattern a shell that you are going to use regularly, even if it is just to dispel doubts or better to inspire confidence.

Nothing worse to cause doubts but to have a pattern that is 'gappy' we have all read books and heard experts but at the end of the day if your head is confused your confidence will be zero.

We have all heard that there is no such thing as a bad cartridge, but many of us know otherwise.

On another point of interest Express World Cups, do they now come with free paracetomol?

Never ever known another cartridge make or brand give me such a bad headache.

World Cups are the only cartridge where I've taken 475 back. I thought either the Browning or my fillings wouldn't survive.

40UP,

Agreed, but maybe, just maybe we are missing a trick?

Why would you continue something so bad?

Ooops just remembered the Allegro & Maxi ! ! !

Interested in what you end up favouring and would be happy to help with patterning.

I like Clevers & RC, but interested in the Fiocchi high end brands, because as you say we are only talking pennies per cartridge from the cheapest to the dearest.

Tony Gardener (DTL) swears by Black Gold and uses nothing else for everything, Black Gold 7.5 for trap and 5's for Game

I'm suspicious about the low temperature but that should have steadied the cartridges. I'll highlight a board and try to post it on here. Those with no interest can look away. The fabulous £320/1000 Shootoffs is coming next.

40UP,

At that price they need to be twice as good as a 'normal' trap cartridge.

But of course if they are winners required kit they are priceless.

Salopian

As a home loader like yourself I can’t see much difference a stack of lead in a plastic wad can make. Or the case for that matter,(apart from a good consistent crimp to create the desired pressure) I think it is all about getting the perfect speed from the primer/powder combination so as not to blow the pattern, which is all set for your barrel choke combination. So I think it’s about hitting the sweet spot for your gun, just like when we loaded rifle ammo, lots of small adjustments until the group shrunk down to one small hole (hopefully)

What I’m trying to say is that extra £150 per 1,000 may not create the perfect pattern in every gun.

Just my opinion of course,

Mick. :huh:

I think you are correct Mick. A good cartridge in one gun can be cack in another in fact a cheap cartridge could give better results than an expensive one it all depends as you say.  

100% correct boys.

This really is why patterning and shooting practice is so very important.

I find it amazing when dissecting 'good' cartridges to find that they are poorly made, inferior quality components, and large errors in in powder/shot charge and yet they are priced as a premium cartridge. Many gunshops sell their own branded cartridge which although costing a few pennies less is identical apart from branding to a well known cartridge. Why cannot the manufacturing companies operate on a level playing field?

Where is the sense in having a manufacturing plant in Italy or Spain making all the components, and having an assembly plant in the UK loading cartridges and selling them dearer than the Italian or Spanish cartridges that are available in the UK cheaper than the UK product?

The whole structure of Express cartridges came about because Muntaz the founder believed he could homeload a better cartridge than commercial brands and he could. So Express cartridge company was formed due to demand from fellow DTL shooters.

Geoff Dales founded Gamebore because he was a shrewd business man who as a Wildfowler believed he was being ripped off by the manufacturers and could see a business diversification.

It makes me pewk when they bleat about high manufacturing costs, the price of lead, plastic, diesel, labour.

I and we, I think don't have any problem what so ever paying a good fair price for a good cartridge, but please cut out the marketing hype and give us quality products at a fair price.

Can I finish by saying look at quality control, because it does seem to be very poor.

Back