Local Clubs..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Shot at my local clay club tonight for the first time to see what it was all about .. rude,unfriendly, dangerous, regulars.... won't be going back.  Anyone experience this? Expensive to at 35p per clay if you turned down the buffet at local working mans club..

I live 500 yards from the worst shoot in the world. There are some good small clubs around, but there are also some that make me cringe. Rather stay with CPSA registered places. 

Shot at my local clay club tonight for the first time to see what it was all about .. rude,unfriendly, dangerous, regulars.... won't be going back.  Anyone experience this? Expensive to at 35p per clay if you turned down the buffet at local working mans club..
Unfortunately most (not all) of these small clubs have the know it alls and lads who think they are George Digweed because they can hit 56 x 60 on a Sunday morning.

I do still go to a couple on the odd occasion! But the amount of times I've had a gun pointed at me while visiting these paces is actually shocking!

Hanson Clay Pigeon Club in Grazley is very cheap and do a good job, if anyone is local to Reading.

I must be lucky, my local (10 minute drive) is brilliant. Never felt unsafe, very well run and everyone is very friendly. £25 for 100 bird card, 50p a coffe and £3 for a large bacon roll. Alan who runs it is a top bloke, he made me feel welcome from day one and is always interested in how your getting on. The only downside is they only shoot every other weekend.

If your local is tolerating dangerous gun handling or a hostile environment, you should name and shame them so others can avoid it and maybe the owners can get the feedback and improve.

Last edited by a moderator:
They shoot alternate weeks with another club so will try the same ground next week to see if it's the club or the location..

Will, it's further than 500yards from your house to EJ's isn't it?

One local to me about 3 miles away, you have to be invited in by a member and the membership fee is £150 a year. Shame really as other local grounds are close to 40 minutes away. Catton hall is 25 mins away but only shoot on a Wednesday when I am in work and last Sunday of the month. 

If any of you ever want to shoot with us in a lovely part of Sussex you're more than welcome.  I'd like to show you that you don't have to be a CPSA registered ground to put on a good, safe shoot where we put time into maintaining the ground and varying our targets. 

25p a clay. No membership fees. If you're safe and have a sense if humour you're welcome anytime.  We do have a strict no knob-heads policy. 

If any of you ever want to shoot with us in a lovely part of Sussex you're more than welcome.  I'd like to show you that you don't have to be a CPSA registered ground to put on a good, safe shoot where we put time into maintaining the ground and varying our targets. 

25p a clay. No membership fees. If you're safe and have a sense if humour you're welcome anytime.  We do have a strict no knob-heads policy. 
He even put on a target that needed a big lead the other day.  And a bloody horrible teal type thing that ruined my scorecard.

Woody lets me shoot there even though I'm a knob-head.

I belong to two local clubs that shoot 50 bird sporting,both have safety officers and excellent safety. I always feel at ease at both clubs,just need to hit a better percentage.

Guess this is where i am lucky as my three local clubs are great.... All within 15 mins or so of my house.

Barby Sporting - Primarily ESP, STR although does have 2 skeet layouts. Great clubhouse, good food, nice bar and restaurant, proper toilets, tennis courts - does not throw any registered competition anymore but still a great overall package. Weds & Sats opening.

Cosford SG - Small club, Primarily Skeet - 1 layout but building a second (NSSA skeet is registered any day the club is open), but can also throw ESP - 6 stands, STR, DTL but none of these are registered. Clubhouse is a portacabin type with portloo's but serves hot and cold food / drinks. Usually homemade cake on the weekend. Open Thurs, Sat and Sun AM.

RDTC - Crick - Trap Club - offering UTR, ABT, DT and Helice. Portacabin clubhouse but with flush toilets, Food is done by an outside company but is superb (or was last time i went). 90% of the shooting is registered as only open a couple of Sunday's a month but targets are good.

I have always felt safe and welcome at all three clubs.

So i can pretty much shoot any discipline i want within 15 mins of home although not registered sporting. I need to travel about an hour to do that. 

You killed this for me in both the 1st and last sentences  :lol:

I must be lucky too, my local shoots are great. To be honest, I can't be bothered with competitions and all that CPSA hoo har (each to his/her own) But the two local clubs I use are both very safe and well set up. Thankfully for me they're fairly relaxed about the knobhead policy too  :rolleyes:  

The one club is Three Lakes, near Tanworth in Arden Warwickshire, and the other is a private invite only affair near where I live in Gobsh*te Lane  :wink:  

I guess I'm lucky. I have 3 trap grounds within an hour and 2 more just a little further away.

There's a sporting ground in the next village too but last time I drove past it was populated by weird folks wearing camouflage jackets, wellington boots and carrying tatty old Baikals!

I guess I'm lucky. I have 3 trap grounds within an hour and 2 more just a little further away.

There's a sporting ground in the next village too but last time I drove past it was populated by weird folks wearing camouflage jackets, wellington boots and carrying tatty old Baikals!
The Camo jackets not very good then  ??

The Camo jackets not very good then  ??
They're fine, if you're in a field shooting rabbits or pigeons. Looks a little odd at a clay ground though.

Every time I drive past I see folks either looking like this...

IMG_0844.PNG

or this...

IMG_0843.PNG

They can not be that good if you can see them whilst driving past though  ?  You should only be able to see them AFTER you feel the bump  !

l go most Sunday's to a great local shoot, very friendly,  strict safety rules apply at all times. Good birds good prices, they do exist if you look around.

Latest posts

Back