Leading edge or full on.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shotstring is BS myth generated from gross misunderstanding of what Brister was out to demonstrate. - a classic case of Hogwarts Physics.  You need to run a few numbers to see how stupid that all is.  Right along with firehosing with the shotstring.

What the choke says on the side or on the barrel is a meager guideline.  My Perazzi #5 (****) 0.020" chokes print such small patterns at 30yds that it is a wonder I ever hit anything.  With  24gm/#8's those chokes will obliterate targets from the 27yd line.  With 28gm/8s those chokes will smash ZZ's at the fence.  When I was shooting pigeons I used a #3 (0.012") choke in the first barrel and that shot is at something over 30yds and it would flat stone a bird.  IMO all the tight choke crap is a holdover from fiber wad days.  Plastic wads DO make a difference.

When I was shootin ATA many yrs ago, I shot skeet choke and #9's for the 16yd.  Didn't smoke hardly any but hardly ever failed to break it.  Used the same thing at first shot of doubles and killed.

Use whatever you like for chokes - at DTL they can't hardly get far enough away to have it matter.  Chipping and chunking 100 is way better than smoking 99.    

JMO of course  YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

Something I just can’t seem to understand…………. I am told that Miroku make a very good trap gun.

Why do they make them with fixed choke at ¾ and Full if it’s not the way to do it?

Would it not be easier to make the trap gun with interchangeable?

Miroku must have a strong opinion on the matter.

Chanco

absolutely les.

all this dtl talk has made me want to shoot the kriegoff end of may :)
Apparently once youve done the Much anticipated (by all on here) ES open. it will extinguish any desire yto shoot DTL.

Waiting for the full report :eek:

Hi.

Something I just can’t seem to understand…………. I am told that Miroku make a very good trap gun.

Why do they make them with fixed choke at ¾ and Full if it’s not the way to do it?

Would it not be easier to make the trap gun with interchangeable?

Miroku must have a strong opinion on the matter.

Chanco
The Mirook is a very good trap gun and has been used to win many major events. I had a lovely Grade 5 MK38 but alas I couldn't get on with it so moved on.

3/4 and full has long been the norm for trap disciplines (especially the faster ones like ABT, UT and OT) so Mirook, along with many other manufacturers are simply following customer demands.

A few manufacturers offer trap guns with interchangeable bottom barrel chokes but full (fixed) top barrel. Others offer interchangeable chokes in both barrels. Just trying to cater for all needs I guess. IPS will tell you that interchangeable chokes are the devils work and I tend to agree. Not having them gives me one less thing to fret about.

Also don't forget its easier to open up a tight choke than close an open one up so better to start off with tighter.

As has been said before don't worry too much about chokes, cartridges, etc. Just build a consistent routine and gun mount and watch that target.

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanking you.

For me I am at the very beginning so I am going to concentrate on routine and pointing the thing in the right place.

I only have one gun and that is fixed ¾ and full so for me no more choke talk.

Plenty of practice instead.

Chanco

Thanking you.

For me I am at the very beginning so I am going to concentrate on routine and pointing the thing in the right place.

I only have one gun and that is fixed ¾ and full so for me no more choke talk.

Plenty of practice instead.

Chanco
If you manage to abide by that you will be the first ever to make the grade    :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back