Lead fowling.. Questions from a newbie

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Having inspected my Evo closely I have come to realise quite how much lead fowling it has picked up.

Firstly, does this actually matter?

If it does I would appreciate any idea to remove, I have tried the bronze brush and Chamber brush with bisley bore cleaner and Napier clean and lube stuff and they don't shift it

i really don't want to use an electric drill on chrome plating

I would appreciate any suggestions

Dickie

You'll find the answer to this if you have a look through previous threads.

You could consider a change of cartridge, I can not remember when I last had fouling in the barrels of any of my guns. I do remember it was Eley cartridges though. They obviously do not suit my guns.

Having inspected my Evo closely I have come to realise quite how much lead fowling it has picked up.

Firstly, does this actually matter?

If it does I would appreciate any idea to remove, I have tried the bronze brush and Chamber brush with bisley bore cleaner and Napier clean and lube stuff and they don't shift it

i really don't want to use an electric drill on chrome plating

I would appreciate any suggestions
​Knoop value hardness of Phosphor Bronze (95% copper)...163
Knoop value hardness of Chromium...935

Mohs scale of hardness for Copper...3
Mohs scale of hardness for Chromium...9
Mohs scale of hardness for Diamond...10

Chickens WILL damage your barrel...

Accept no substitutes and go up a gauge to 10 Bore brush  :)

70788679.nP6Bd1W8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, it was a chirpy comment Dickie,, :rolleyes:  best tip I have is to purchase a wad of  `ooo` or finer wire wool, it is very soft,, and is used to  French polish `` wooden furniture, as well as stocks, etc, it will not harm a chrome barrel.

to use it , wrap a thin piece around your brass brush, so it tangles into the outer bristles, increase a little at a time until it `grabs` ,, and use with hopps bore cleaner. mop out well, and oil bores and mop again.

ok, it was a chirpy comment Dickie,, :rolleyes:  best tip I have is to purchase a wad of  `ooo` or finer wire wool, it is very soft,, and is used to  French polish `` wooden furniture, as well as stocks, etc, it will not harm a chrome barrel.

to use it , wrap a thin piece around your brass brush, so it tangles into the outer bristles, increase a little at a time until it `grabs` ,, and use with hopps bore cleaner. mop out well, and oil bores and mop again.
Very good!

​Knoop value hardness of Phosphor Bronze (95% copper)...163Knoop value hardness of Chromium...935

Mohs scale of hardness for Copper...3
Mohs scale of hardness for Chromium...9
Mohs scale of hardness for Diamond...10

Accept no substitutes and go up a gauge to 10 Bore brush  :)

Seems a little brutal! Will give it a go though

You could consider a change of cartridge, I can not remember when I last had fouling in the barrels of any of my guns. I do remember it was Eley cartridges though. They obviously do not suit my guns.
Pretty sure it was due in the main to BlueDiamond, won't be using them again!

With mine I spray both barrels with napier bore cleaner right at the start of a my gun clean then leave it to soak while I clean the rest of the gun. I find it softens the fowling up enough to then clean with my copper brush by hand. 

I just use Legia spray. Same as Beechin, leave the barrels to soak while cleaning the rest of the gun  then attack furiously with the bronze brush (my cleaning rod won't fit in my drill chuck or I would use that!).

Works a treat.

oh,,, do not use a copper brush with hopps,,,,,, no bristles left after a while !   :D  

if you ever need to sell a gun, best you get rid of the skid marks,, or anything other than  shiny  barrels will reduce the price!  everybody looks down the barrels first !

worst is fibre obviously for lead fouling,  but plastic wads have their own problems,, in that the chokes foul up,, can be a real hassle to clean,,,,,, there is a way tho,,,

Phil,

Is that spray and then legit or legit with spray ? I just give it once through with the bronze brush and then follow with a Napier ultra clean patch and to date have had no complaints, (so to speak). No need for sprays, Aunty Fowling or any other relations. Once the gun is back in cabinet, then I legit !

Just brought a load of blue diamond for the essex masters, good shell but so so dirty
​seriously if their that dirty there's an issue!? I never have an issue with much fouling from them and it's all I'll shoot probably done 15,000 in a year nothing more down the barrels than any other shell!

I have never found lead hard to shift (after using fibre shells). Plastic scuffing from wads half way down the barrel, or muck from propellant in the forcing cones are the only issues. Do you really mean lead? Is this with fibre or plastic wads?

Phil,

Is that spray and then legit or legit with spray ? I just give it once through with the bronze brush and then follow with a Napier ultra clean patch and to date have had no complaints, (so to speak). No need for sprays, Aunty Fowling or any other relations. Once the gun is back in cabinet, then I legit !
Ha ha ha ? just spotted the typo. Bloody predictive text ☺

I try to Legit before cleaning the gun but no bugger else will do it for me ?

Latest posts

Back