How does our classification system work?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sian

Someone explain how our classification system works please.  Can you really not shoot registered shoots for a couple of years and become unclassified again.

Someone explain how our classification system works please.  Can you really not shoot registered shoots for a couple of years and become unclassified again.
No, I cant do the link thing however

CPSA Rules, 4.1 last paragraph “Once a member has obtained a classification in any discipline, they will not become “unclassified” even if they do not shoot at all in the following year(s)” 

As found this pm on CPSA web pages, hope this helps? 

At the bottom of What are classifications? - CPSA it states "Members will have their classification in any given discipline reset to ‘unclassified’ where no registered scores are recorded within a 36 month period."
It does which seems at odds with the rules? Again taken from the CPSA rule book currently on web

Rule 4.4 (c) Once a classification has been obtained, it can only be altered as per the above but never lost. 

It does which seems at odds with the rules? Again taken from the CPSA rule book currently on web

Rule 4.4 (c) Once a classification has been obtained, it can only be altered as per the above but never lost. 

I know a few guys who haven't shot registered shoots for a good few years. Their classifications have been reset.

So what happens if you shoot one registered in a classification period but score out of class? Say an A class shot scored 60 at one ESP registered. Does the A classification still stand? 

So what happens if you shoot one registered in a classification period but score out of class? Say an A class shot scored 60 at one ESP registered. Does the A classification still stand? 
In this case yes, to “drop” a class one has to shoot a minimum of 300 adjusted targets, whereas if say a C class has a blinding day puts in a single score in a period of say 80 they will be put up into the respective class, in ESP 80 = A class and it would take a good while to drop back into C

In this case yes, to “drop” a class one has to shoot a minimum of 300 adjusted targets, whereas if say a C class has a blinding day puts in a single score in a period of say 80 they will be put up into the respective class, in ESP 80 = A class and it would take a good while to drop back into C
I think you will find you now have to shoot 600 targets to drop a class. Missed dropping to C class sportrap for the worlds as I had only shot 500.☹️

Other than ESP Im not too sure the vast majority will be shooting 600 targets in other events? 
I've got 600 now, after yesterday. Will be dropping sportrap from my repertoire after shooting Barbury next Wednesday. Just stick to sporting now.

Other than ESP Im not too sure the vast majority will be shooting 600 targets in other events? 
The way I read the 600 targets is over the 12 month period, not the 3 month reclassification period. The reason I couldn't get my 600 targets, was because we had been on lockdown, and I didn't have enough time to get them all in, before cut off.

In a discipline devoid of target setting and course standards any classification system is a joke
Ah!!!! Spoken like a true trap shooter Charlie. But you are right, I don’t really shoot sporting, or at least not often. It would appear that there is no actual format for target setting in sporting. 

I've got caught out with the 600 targets to come down a class.

Shot a couple of easy sportraps last year that were high scoring and did well, then shot the british pretty well, ended up in AA, realistically I'm A class really. Average dropped after a shoot or two back tonA class scores but classification didn't. Then realised I was short of targets. Now on operation sportrap so that I try to hit the 600 sportrap as soon as possible.

God knows how you do it with fitasc if you happen to go up a class, that would be a challenge to do 600 in 12 months round here.

Ah!!!! Spoken like a true trap shooter Charlie. But you are right, I don’t really shoot sporting, or at least not often. It would appear that there is no actual format for target setting in sporting. 
Les, the best I can tell you is that golf is the only format-free anything that I can think of that has a classification system (of sorts) and it is gamed mercilessly by anyone less than master or whatever the top class is.  Trap and skeet here are heavily gamed as well tho I did first see "target management" in reference to sporting.

As you may recall, Mr. Hewland and I have publicly discussed shooting classification systems to some extent already so I won't bother revisiting all that  

tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back