Game shot with semi auto

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes but I have always said that in my opinion game is a SxS job. The only reason I got the 687 was because I was scared of double trig. I have discovered there is nothing to be scared of its quite easy and more fun

I did however have one occasion on Sunday were I pulled the front trig twice, strangely nothing happened no bang no click no nothing ?
Not shooting game on a Sunday I hope ips?

no mate, clays. A SxS comp with paul120 then abt with Paul and balltrap, oh and my keeper pal and his son ?

I beg to differ, I used to shoot in Scotland every year, a cracking shoot just above Dunkeld, overlooking the Tay. The birds coming off the hillside could be classed as a 'touch high'. I managed more than average with 32 gram 5's through my 6lbs 2ozs. Westley, usually Gamebore Pure Golds, without noticing any recoil. Then again, the gun does fit me !
My sxs fit me too, although haven't tried pure gold, I have tried the replacement regal game but they are thumpy in 32g 5, the best performance with manageable recoil I have found is 30g dark storm, although I do feel recoil quite noticeably.

who you calling lord twit. :)
I know, His spelling is awful. ;)

no mate, clays. A SxS comp with paul120 then abt with Paul and balltrap, oh and my keeper pal and his son ?
It was good fun too. 

We even sho a couple of stands where IPS had to shoot with the rear trigger first. No problem .  

Last edited by a moderator:
ha, AND low and behold I straightened a stand of three pairs, ruddy ell ?

ha, AND low and behold I straightened a stand of three pairs, ruddy ell ?
Well done but now you have opened up the door as to whether it is straightened or straighted - ?  I have no idea but go for it everyone.

ok .... Shot all six. ?

my spellin is pants.

My sxs fit me too, although haven't tried pure gold, I have tried the replacement regal game but they are thumpy in 32g 5, the best performance with manageable recoil I have found is 30g dark storm, although I do feel recoil quite noticeably.
  • If your shooting is confined to inside 40 yards, give the Fiocchi PL 28 a try. I bought some 3 years ago to put through the Westley due to a shoulder problem. I ended up only using 150 or so before the end of that Season, but they were very good and low recoil. (this comes from someone who is NOT a Fiocchi fan normally). They are a bit on the dirty side though.
Well done but now you have opened up the door as to whether it is straightened or straighted - ?  I have no idea but go for it everyone.
Probably straight handed would be more appropriate !

Why not?  It works a treat!

Shane-dog-pheasant_imagelarge.jpg

A lot of toffee nosed snobbery IMO. Do sporting shots really think a game bird of any description cares in any way what type of shotgun is used to kill it? A semi loaded with two cartridges, which is what is legally allowed, will shoot game no differently than any other shotgun of any format... the only thing that is different is it does not fit in with some BS notion that game shooters have of themselves and their sporting grandiose values... F'n laughable you stand at the bottom of this hill and we will drive birds over the top of you at stupid heights you bang away and see if you can hit any. Whereas they guy pictured above man and dog together is wrong again F'n laughable. You guys that go out on organised pheasant, Partridge and Grouse blitzing days should really have a look at what you are doing not the gun you are using to do it! Of course if shooting 25 - 50 birds a day fits in with your definition of sporting the bash on... mind you that's fine you are using a pair of fine sporting English side locks to do it. .. together with your loader... again F'n laughable.

A lot of toffee nosed snobbery IMO. Do sporting shots really think a game bird of any description cares in any way what type of shotgun is used to kill it? A semi loaded with two cartridges, which is what is legally allowed, will shoot game no differently than any other shotgun of any format... the only thing that is different is it does not fit in with some BS notion that game shooters have of themselves and their sporting grandiose values... F'n laughable you stand at the bottom of this hill and we will drive birds over the top of you at stupid heights you bang away and see if you can hit any. Whereas they guy pictured above man and dog together is wrong again F'n laughable. You guys that go out on organised pheasant, Partridge and Grouse blitzing days should really have a look at what you are doing not the gun you are using to do it! Of course if shooting 25 - 50 birds a day fits in with your definition of sporting the bash on... mind you that's fine you are using a pair of fine sporting English side locks to do it. .. together with your loader... again F'n laughable.
Its not all about the guys buying the pegs though is it, What about all the hard work that goes into a driven shooting. the beaters, the picker uppers, the dogs that have been trained to work, all the ground staff that look after the estate all year round. the upkeep of the estate is all paid for by the shooters. pheasants are bread for shooting and the UK is probably the best place to shoot them, the birds are not trapped in a cage they live a wild life and can fly off at any time, you might want to look into how the chicken you eat is manufactured locked in pens inside a huge factory never to see natural light. at least the birds have been fed everyday on natural feeds not pumped with water and bulking foods to be slaughtered and sold on a supermarket shelf. if i was fortunate enough to be able to attend these shoots i would. when it comes to the type of guns on a driven shoot this is etiquette of the sport. i have seen a few people using pump shotguns on rough shoots.

Its not all about the guys buying the pegs though is it, What about all the hard work that goes into a driven shooting. the beaters, the picker uppers, the dogs that have been trained to work, all the ground staff that look after the estate all year round. the upkeep of the estate is all paid for by the shooters. pheasants are bread for shooting and the UK is probably the best place to shoot them, the birds are not trapped in a cage they live a wild life and can fly off at any time, you might want to look into how the chicken you eat is manufactured locked in pens inside a huge factory never to see natural light. at least the birds have been fed everyday on natural feeds not pumped with water and bulking foods to be slaughtered and sold on a supermarket shelf. if i was fortunate enough to be able to attend these shoots i would. when it comes to the type of guns on a driven shoot this is etiquette of the sport. i have seen a few people using pump shotguns on rough shoots.
What has any of that tosh got to do with whether a shooter chooses to use a semi auto or SxS? You don't need to lecture me about the way shoots are run I have been a part of that already done the beating, picking up even feeding and a bit of Fox patrol work. Further more I have nothing at all against the shooting of game, nothing could be further from the truth. However don't BS me with all the crap that snobbery is none existent in game shooting. The syndicate I was a member of was run by every day folks who were sportsmen who liked a day out... the only thing that was on the table about shotguns in any way shape or form was safety end of. A big day on that shoot was 60 birds for up to 25 guns stand and shoot of beat and everybody enjoyed their day out whether they used an semi auto or a SxS in fact SxS's were very, very rare there nearly everybody used an over/under shotgun except two or three who used Semi's. The notion that a man standing with a loader blasting away is in some way more sporting than a man shooting legally with a semi auto is laughable.

No qualms about shooting game with a semi-Auto on a rough shoot among friends who I know are safe. But on a driven shoot a man with a semi-auto would get some funny looks. My local high bird shoot would not be too happy about a gun standing with a Semi-Auto.

Having said that its no so long back that O/Us were not acceptable on driven days.

What has any of that tosh got to do with whether a shooter chooses to use a semi auto or SxS? You don't need to lecture me about the way shooter are run I have been a part of that already. Further more I have nothing at all against the shooting of game, nothing could be further from the truth. However don't BS me with all the crap that snobbery is none existent in game shooting. The syndicate I was a member of was run by every day folks who were sportsmen who liked a day out... the only thing that was on the table about shotguns in any way shape or form was safety end of. A big day on that shoot was 60 birds for up to 25 guns stand and shoot of beat and everybody enjoyed their day out whether they used an semi auto or a SxS in fact SxS's were very, very rare there nearly everybody used an over/under shotgun except two or three who used Semi's.
Snobbery happens in every part of life weather it is sports, cars, clothes, dogs, etc its not just shooting. I must have miss read your message as it sounded to me that you were banging on about driven shoots only being for snobs. sorry for the confusion.  :angel:

having a bad day john ?

nail on the head holianl. There is a lot behind the scenes (as john knows). As far as etiquette is concerned I LOVE IT and it should continue because it is English tradition at its finest. I love getting up early morning for a formal driven day, put all me finery on for a days loading, tweed, tie, waistcoat with pocket watch, breeks and socks with garters. Then again I also love putting me beaters gear on and getting poked in the eye with branches and getting full of cack. Tradition and etiquette. Ps - I wouldn't load for anyone with an auto ?

WP_20161110_17_29_35_Pro.jpg

having a bad day john ?

nail on the head holianl. There is a lot behind the scenes (as john knows). As far as etiquette is concerned I LOVE IT and it should continue because it is English tradition at its finest. I love getting up early morning for a formal driven day, put all me finery on for a days loading, tweed, tie, waistcoat with pocket watch, breeks and socks with garters. Then again I also love putting me beaters gear on and getting poked in the eye with branches and getting full of cack. Tradition and etiquette. Ps - I wouldn't load for anyone with an auto ?

View attachment 6257
Very Smart Ian.

I have nothing at all against shooting game and being a member of a syndicate know just how hard you have to work to make a shoot successful but thankfully I never had to worry about the gun I used or what I was wearing when I shot my birds the only thing we were worried about was the safety of those shooting. As to using a semi it kills a bird in exactly the same was as the very best shotgun you could buy... providing you can get the shot on the target. Regarding the safety anybody who is unsafe with a semi is just as likely to be unsafe with a SxS or O/U safety is about the individual not the gun they are using. The gamekeeper at the shoot opposite ours was also the captain of ours. He carried a seven shot section 1 semi around his shoot and ours... a safer man with any gun you would be hard pressed to find.

Back