Noise & etiquette - is it any wonder ! ( Rant mode on)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Will and Hamster. Hadn't considered it in those terms (the blind leading the blind, as it were), rather of one experienced gun showing around a less experienced one, which seemed logical to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing that gets on my nerves is dogs running around. I've got no issue with well behaved ones, we have always owned dogs, it's the ones which think they are ready for work on a game day and looking forward to a good run. It's not the dogs fault...it's just being a dog. There was a Springer running around at the weekend in and out of the stands and those waiting to shoot. If you know your dog is like this leave them at home and take them for exercise somewhere else...If someone's kids was acting half as bad everyone would be up in arms!

At Horne last week, there was a guy using the event to train his dog! The dog was only mildly in the way while waiting to shoot, but the owner was blowing a whistle to communicate with it. Not some silent dog whistle, more like a football ref. I was so close to having a word, but he was only near me on two stands; plus I know that a heated discussion leaves you with no head for shooting..

We're blessed with not having any chumps at my straw-baler.

We've had a couple before and I've asked one not to return.

Newbies are welcome too, as long as they are sensible and safe.  Being a word of mouth straw-baler I can't remember the last time we had a non gun owner turn up. 

We're blessed with not having any chumps at my straw-baler.
There are lots of very friendly people who like to let you know they think you are shooting well - particularly if you haven't missed any and are just about to take the last pair. ;-)

at a local shoot a few years ago Manor farm which no longer exists there was a group of late teens 2 of the 3 looked like they knew what they were doing and had obviously brought the other along for a first go.

at the first stand we were behind them and watched aghast as the newbie kept bringing the gun behind the bar to unload and load before lifting it back over once loaded.

had a word with them before the next stand to which was not well received and he continued to do ithe reloaded for the second pair and hit the bar as he lifted the gun over...bang,large hole in the ground 3 inches in front of his toe.

shocked looks giggles and laughter...at this time i took the ngun from him placed it in the hands of the most responsible looking one and explained they should leave and not return until they had studied gun safety....funnily enough never seen again.

the lad was lucky to still have his foot!

if i ever take a first timer/newbie the first thing i do is take them aside and explain to them gun safety and also how the gun is to be used before they get anywhere near firing it also if a practice stand is available i will get them on that to get used to what a gun does when you pull the trigger rather than inconveinience other shooters.

i also believe this will enhance the experience for the new shooter as something going bang next to your head and kicking you takes time to get used to.

there is one local shoot (cpsa affiliated) i now avoid like the plague as when several safety issues were pointed out they suggested we should have dealt with it!

sometimes it just feels like people are waiting for something bad to happen to prove you right.

Surely it is the ground owner or managers responsibility to a new shooter and every one else around to give an induction before allowing them any were near a gun. Regular RAMS update would also ensure safety as any RA carried out must surely state that new shooters must be given a safety briefing and carry out said induction.

Surely it is the ground owner or managers responsibility to a new shooter and every one else around to give an induction before allowing them any were near a gun. Regular RAMS update would also ensure safety as any RA carried out must surely state that new shooters must be given a safety briefing and carry out said induction.
why bother.... apparently things just happen for no real reason. Assessing risks and managing them is pointless as "things just happen" 

Easy solution - instead of going to dog and donkey shows go to registered shoots. They are all required to have at least one safety officer.

Do what educated sensible people do...shoot trap! I have never encountered any of the antics mentioned here on a trap stand... its a serious business you know :)

why bother.... apparently things just happen for no real reason. Assessing risks and managing them is pointless as "things just happen"
Oh I don't think so. I think you will find that most shooting grounds probably require themselves to have taken some sort of risk assessment procedure. Now not withstanding that fact accidents do happen, now if you don't know what an accident is it is something that happens which is done unintentionally. Now that could be a road traffic accident or an accident in the home... it does not indicate however that no one is to blame oh no sir but an accident none the less. Another example of an accident would be a golfer standing on the tee at the 9th and putting his drive into the hole on the 11th he did not mean it to happen it happened by chance of a bad shot it was an accident ... but he was to blame for the outcome! I worked in an environment where every single process required a risk assessment and despite every laboratory having their own copy for each procedure ... you guessed it we did get the odd accident and there was always someone to blame for the accident but by definition they did not do what the did expecting that out come no it was an accident only and idiot pours water into conc sulphuric acid deliberately but that sort of accident happens from time to time... don't even ask about what some folk have done with liquid nitrogen :fie:

I wear open toed sandals for just this reason. After all no point in ruining a good pair of boots ?

Oh and by the way, as far as road traffic is concerned there is NEVER an accident. Even if it is vehicle fault or failure, that should have been taken care of at the last service.

The emergency services dropped the word 'accident' from Road Traffic a long time ago, it became collision. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and by the way, as far as road traffic is concerned there is NEVER an accident. Even if it is vehicle fault or filure, that should have been taken care of at the last service.

The emergency services dropped the word 'accident' from Road Traffic a long time ago, it became collision. 

hallelujah someone who understands!

Oh and by the way, as far as road traffic is concerned there is NEVER an accident. Even if it is vehicle fault or failure, that should have been taken care of at the last service.

Don't fancy servicing a wild boar meself. :lol:   :lol:

Latest posts

Back