Game shot with semi auto

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Is there any legislation around this, something about it doesn't feel right... a damp walk around this morning necessitated the semi auto and after a brace of pigeon, a right and left (or in this case 1 and 2) of pheasant presented themselves as wonderfully sporting birds which i left to fly for another day, if i had the sxs they would have joined me for supper.

Is it just me or does shooting game with a semi auto feel wrong to anyone else?

it's wrong in fact I was never happy using an OU but then I am a traditionalist ?

I was always under the impression the law doesn't restrict the type of shotgun to be used so long as it is classed as a shotgun  :huh:

Its more of an etiquette thing. 

For the last 24 hours or so ....
yes but I have always said that in my opinion game is a SxS job. The only reason I got the 687 was because I was scared of double trig. I have discovered there is nothing to be scared of its quite easy and more fun

I did however have one occasion on Sunday were I pulled the front trig twice, strangely nothing happened no bang no click no nothing ?

yes but I have always said that in my opinion game is a SxS job. The only reason I got the 687 was because I was scared of double trig. I have discovered there is nothing to be scared of its quite easy and more fun

I did however have one occasion on Sunday were I pulled the front trig twice, strangely nothing happened no bang no click no nothing ?
Does help to remove 'Safety' first though  !

I did once hear that you would 'probably die' if you were to eat any game shot with an auto, a bit like the rest of the squad would probably die, if you used an auto for Trap  !      :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
To my mind unless I am appreciating the beauty of a gun OU, SxS or auto, I prefer O/U.  I don't have any objections to semis so long as the person using it isn't a complete novice or worse still a know it all.  SxS to me equals awkward gun I don't care to use one.  I can appreciate the beauty of certain ones but they hold no appeal to me in terms of shooting one.    Regarding shooting of said birds up to the individual but if you were hungry you wouldn't care.   To my mind the pheasant is a far less Sporting bird than the humble pigeon.  I don't shoot either but when I do it will be the pigeon rather than the pheasant.  Sadly for me Ips it is some of the traditions of game shoots that prevent me from being a traditionalist.  

Please note I am not anti game shooting it just holds no appeal for me.

To my mind unless I am appreciating the beauty of a gun OU, SxS or auto, I prefer O/U.  I don't have any objections to semis so long as the person using it isn't a complete novice or worse still a know it all.  SxS to me equals awkward gun I don't care to use one.  I can appreciate the beauty of certain ones but they hold no appeal to me in terms of shooting one.    Regarding shooting of said birds up to the individual but if you were hungry you wouldn't care.   To my mind the pheasant is a far less Sporting bird than the humble pigeon.  I don't shoot either but when I do it will be the pigeon rather than the pheasant.  Sadly for me Ips it is some of the traditions of game shoots that prevent me from being a traditionalist.  

JUST WHO ARE YOU CALLING A BLOOMIN KNOW IT ALL,....HEY   ? 

There just for old men and people that dress like their Lord twit :angel:

JUST WHO ARE YOU CALLING A BLOOMIN KNOW IT ALL,....HEY   ? 
Not you lovely Westley if I were in charge you would be Minister of Guns and you could make the rules and have everybody shoot semis at everything dressed in maroon camo- Ips is probably hyperventilating ??

Not you lovely Westley if I were in charge you would be Minister of Guns and you could make the rules and have everybody shoot semis at everything dressed in maroon camo- Ips is probably hyperventilating ??
grrrrr. ?

re last sentence

I felt exactly the same until Nov 15 Sian.

it never appealed to me but now I love the etiquette and the tradition and the dress code, oh and SxS guns and gundogs' and working gundogs'. The actual shooting of the game is secondary to me and it doesn't bother me one bit if I don't pull the trigger.

There just for old men and people that dress like their Lord twit :angel:
who you calling lord twit. :)

He CERTAINLY is , after the PM I sent him earlier     :angel:

I am game shooting on Saturday, I had planned to take my Westley Richards for an airing, BUT now you have set me thinking, should I really be taking my Beretta 303  ????       :(      Decisions,  Decisions   Life is full of bloody DECISIONS  !

Last edited by a moderator:
An auto is absolutely fine for driven game as long as its in camo. With three cartridges loaded your ready for a bird over both your neighboring guns and one of your own. Plus you can keep the gun mounted whilst loading.

An auto is absolutely fine for driven game as long as its in camo. With three cartridges loaded your ready for a bird over both your neighboring guns and one of your own. Plus you can keep the gun mounted whilst loading.
Did try that once, problem was,  I had to lay it on the grass whilst I had a pee and the bloody drive was over before I found it again.     :oops:  

Surely has to be a matched pair..

Nothing wrong with 687 or any game ou, try putting anything more than 30g through sxs and you will see what I mean. ... does seem a shame though, however no high or big shooots for me next season so sxs and hopefully a hammergun, will be up to the job

I wont be putting anything more than 30 through anything these days

Surely has to be a matched pair..

Nothing wrong with 687 or any game ou, try putting anything more than 30g through sxs and you will see what I mean. ... does seem a shame though, however no high or big shooots for me next season so sxs and hopefully a hammergun, will be up to the job
I beg to differ, I used to shoot in Scotland every year, a cracking shoot just above Dunkeld, overlooking the Tay. The birds coming off the hillside could be classed as a 'touch high'. I managed more than average with 32 gram 5's through my 6lbs 2ozs. Westley, usually Gamebore Pure Golds, without noticing any recoil. Then again, the gun does fit me !

Back