Food and eyesight.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Hopkins

Decided to start the day with a full english Sunday prior to shooting, i never eat so soon before starting and had an absolute mare returning with  the lowest score i can ever remember shooting. I knew i was having big issues mainly my left eye taking over. this is new to me so has anyone else ever suffered eye problems related to diet.??

in short NO the only food related issue in shooting I experience is eating lunch between lines, this always makes me lethargic and I no longer do it regardless of how hungry I am which is why on a shoot day I have a huge full English but at least two hours before my first line.

Blood sugar and subsequent insulin release can have an effect on eye sight, not sure of it effecting dominance but not out of the question. Mr Lyons can shed more light im sure.

Blood sugar and subsequent insulin release can have an effect on eye sight, not sure of it effecting dominance but not out of the question. Mr Lyons can shed more light im sure.
Thanks Ed, the old mince pies have been changing obviously with age however the dominance issue was pretty profound Sunday, i would guess it is something you may not have experienced before but pulling the trigger on a target when you already know the you are 3 foot off line is a strange sensation indeed. Started the day shooting 5/10 5/10 2/10. unheard of only improving once i shut the left eye 10/10. next stand left eye open 4/10... I feel  a trip to Mr Lyons in the new year is in order.

shaun

your an old bugger, welcome to the club ?

only joking

I'm finding my eyesight is really suffering when I am tired, markedly.  I also definitely do not shoot well if I haven't eaten anything and I still do not drink enough around a course, it really shows sometimes.

I'm finding my eyesight is really suffering when I am tired, markedly.  I also definitely do not shoot well if I haven't eaten anything and I still do not drink enough around a course, it really shows sometimes.
Jam and peanut butter sandwich . Mmmmmm

ha, I would like to say I am too Shaun but I fear I am just getting old ?

Decided to start the day with a full english Sunday prior to shooting, i never eat so soon before starting and had an absolute mare returning with  the lowest score i can ever remember shooting. I knew i was having big issues mainly my left eye taking over. this is new to me so has anyone else ever suffered eye problems related to diet.??
I would much rather shoot on an empty stomach than a full one but I will try and eat a little porridge or something. The full English is hard to digest so I can well believe it makes you lethargic but as mentioned by others I simply don't know whether it can affect eye dominance although after hearing Ed say sugar could affect vision acuity a while back, I began to notice he had a point. 

I try and avoid shooting on an empty stomach particularly around midday, in order to prevent headaches. 

Had this recently at a fitasc shoot at Valley View. Stepped onto the second peg and started to see the clays strobing across my vision this carried onto the third peg very distracting amazed I hit any targets.  Had food and water and felt much better. 

Must admit I've always been a light breakfast cereal type, but that's more childhood conditioning than anything else. 

Tend to do the porridge now, bit of honey, few nuts and maybe a bit of fruit...surprising how long I feel full for afterwards.

Tend to take a bottle of water around with me on a Sunday morning and just stay hydrated. 

Will occasionally treat myself to a bacon button after shooting if I'm peckish. 

Strangely my distance vision has got better with age...as confirmed by a recent eye test....first time since starting shooting I've not used prescription specs....close up vision is falling apart mind you.......

Last edited by a moderator:
So long as people fail to consider shooting an athletic activity and properly eat for performance then problems may occur whether they are obvious or not.

just sayin'

I think being properly hydrated is key to a good performance. Watching the really top trap shooters down here and what they tend to do, and I have  copied, is about 15-20 minutes before shooting they eat a chocolate bar or a few biscuits something like that and always a 500 ml bottle of water at the stand while shooting. Of course it is going to be slightly different for the sporting shooter but still drink the water even if it is not a hot day. I think a lucozade type drink could be a help too... but not one of those high caffeine drinks!

Latest posts

Back