First Gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glb868

Will be on the hunt for my first gun in a month or so. My question is, what to go for? I imagine i'll shoot skeet and a bit of sporting.

Am i right in thinking a decent brand 28/30", Multi choke, O/U? NO high ribs etc?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Yep that sounds about right mate! Go for Browning/Miroku or Beretta and you will not go far wrong. Yes leave any high ribs and things alone at this stage.

Gary - I'm going to move this into the new shooters sub-forum - as I suspect the answers will be useful to more than you...

I got my first gun late last year. Beretta Silver Pigeon 1. I'm very happy with it so far.

Interestingly when we went to by our guns the OH was also looking at the Silver Pigeon 1. He looked really uncomfortable with it though and the bloke in the shop said he'd struggle with Beretta's as he's tall and the drop isn't big enough of them for someone with a long neck / face. He ended up with a Browning 525, which he immediately looked more comfortable with.

Rather than choosing what you like the look of probably wisest to try a few and see what fits well.

Ill be going to the shop to see what fits but just wanted a rough idea what to look for.

Choke wise, m/c a must I guess? For resale if anything?

Ill be going to the shop to see what fits but just wanted a rough idea what to look for.

Choke wise, m/c a must I guess? For resale if anything?
Not much wrong with a fixed gun, as long as its sensible. 1/4 and half is nice. It will stop you twiddling also!

For clays, go with 30'' I would say. Avoid 28.

An M/C gun will give you the most flexibility - but the common advice given to most new sporting shooters is pick a pair, stick em in and forget about them until you hit the 80's - too much choke changing CAN affect your scores.

I use half/half in mine - and I've vowed to keep it that way until I average over 80.

Any help greatly appreciated :)
Okay then :) This is my carefully culled from experience list.

1. Learn the basics of shooting - how to mount the gun, where your hands and eyes should be etc.

2. Try every gun you can. Get friends and coaches to let you try their guns. Hire club guns. Fall in love with something very expensive.

3. Listen to the advice and prejudices and preferences of those you know. Be amused at how people seem to either love or hate the Beretta DT10 and the Miroku MK38 and have serious views on brands without much evidence or reason.

4. Go around all the gun shops and announce you need a gun, your budget is £X and you like Very Expensive Gun, what do they have for you? Try holding all their guns. Listen to the advice and recommendations as a good gun shop will be able to tell what might suit you. Do not get swept away at this point. 

5. When the recommendations start lining up with your thoughts from holding the guns, try shooting the models you like. Gun shops will loan some stock if you are a serious buyer.

6. Once you've chosen some models you like, look around them for similar guns e.g same maker, next model up or down, same make and model but premier version compared to basic, same make but earlier model version. 

7. When you've found the make and model you like best, find one in your price range and buy it. Post ecstatically on ShootClay Forum. 

8. Shoot with your new gun for a bit and then get it fitted. 

9. Shoot more until you find yourself giving the same advice to people even newer than you.

Everyone said to me get O/U 12 bore, doesn't really matter if you like 28", 30" or 32", multi choke is important. It was a salesman who recommended the Browning 525 to me, I thought I wanted a Beretta, but what did I know? But they can be worth listening to. 

An M/C gun will give you the most flexibility - but the common advice given to most new sporting shooters is pick a pair, stick em in and forget about them until you hit the 80's - too much choke changing CAN affect your scores.

I use half/half in mine - and I've vowed to keep it that way until I average over 80.
Good advice. Exactly what I did. Now my average is over 80, I'm still not changing. :)

1. Learn the basics of shooting - how to mount the gun, where your hands and eyes should be etc.

2. Try every gun you can. Get friends and coaches to let you try their guns. Hire club guns. Fall in love with something very expensive.

3. Listen to the advice and prejudices and preferences of those you know. Be amused at how people seem to either love or hate the Beretta DT10 and the Miroku MK38 and have serious views on brands without much evidence or reason.

4. Go around all the gun shops and announce you need a gun, your budget is £X and you like Very Expensive Gun, what do they have for you? Try holding all their guns. Listen to the advice and recommendations as a good gun shop will be able to tell what might suit you. Do not get swept away at this point. 

5. When the recommendations start lining up with your thoughts from holding the guns, try shooting the models you like. Gun shops will loan some stock if you are a serious buyer.

6. Once you've chosen some models you like, look around them for similar guns e.g same maker, next model up or down, same make and model but premier version compared to basic, same make but earlier model version. 

7. When you've found the make and model you like best, find one in your price range and buy it. Post ecstatically on ShootClay Forum. 

9. Shoot more until you find yourself giving the same advice to people even newer than you.

Everyone said to me get O/U 12 bore, doesn't really matter if you like 28", 30" or 32", multi choke is important. It was a salesman who recommended the Browning 525 to me, I thought I wanted a Beretta, but what did I know? But they can be worth listening to. 
Top Post. Can't think of a single thing to add.

Excellent post.

Great advice.

It's amazing how different the guns can feel - I was surprised at this. The Beretta's I tried were very light and the Brownings/Miroku's a bit heavier. I preferred the Miroku since it didn't seem to flap around in my hands - was nice and steady. Trying them out will make your choice more informed. And there are loads of posts on this forum about first guns as well, tho ehb nailed it in one.

EHB has pretty much nailed it, apart from her blatant attack on the mk38  :crazy:   All seriousness, go with what feels right and if possible go somewhere you can shoot it. I have had many guns that feel great in a shop that I couldnt shoot for toffee. Buy it, stick with it through good and bad as the bad is gonna be pilot error not the gun :)

EHB has pretty much nailed it, apart from her blatant attack on the mk38  :crazy:   All seriousness, go with what feels right and if possible go somewhere you can shoot it. I have had many guns that feel great in a shop that I couldnt shoot for toffee. Buy it, stick with it through good and bad as the bad is gonna be pilot error not the gun :)
 You nailed it there Fuz!!! Even if a gun feels great in the shop, it doesn't mean that you can actually shoot well with it. :fie:

You nailed it there Fuz!!! Even if a gun feels great in the shop, it doesn't mean that you can actually shoot well with it. :fie:
Its what I call the `clock on the wall` effect. Points great at that; perhaps less so at clays..

Shame we don't shoot clocks or gun shop light fittings, I would be aaa class by now :D
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_514 using Board Express

Seen a Browning Medalist going for good money. I've read mixed reviews on them but looks like it could be a goer.

Seen a Browning Medalist going for good money. I've read mixed reviews on them but looks like it could be a goer.
I looked at and tried a couple many years ago! Cheaply made, I think by a firm called Fias in Italy, so it's not a real Browning or a Miroku, the ones I tried kicked like hell and were not very nice at all. I've known a few guys that have owned them and they all got shot of them pretty quickly. They are not generally well thought of and may be a problem to sell on at a later date. You are better off sticking with a Browning/Miroku, even though they may cost more than a Medalist!

Latest posts

Back