Eley Olympic Blues - misfires

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew

I know this topic has been talked to death in the past.

When Eley stopped making the Olympic Trap and changed to the Olympic Blue a few people reported the odd misfire or maybe the odd manufacturing fault. For example a poor crimp or the cartridge was tight when pushed into the chamber.

The problems seemed to disappear for a while until now in my opinion. What I am asking to fellow shooters that have been using Olympic Blues lately, have you had misfires?                                 I have had 3 misfires out of the last 400 shells I have shot, all from different boxes. A friend of mine had 3 misfires on one round at Gunsite last week. We have sourced our shells from different suppliers so it is not one batch we are both using.

Please don't turn this question into a topic about different manufacturers and who makes the best shells. I just want to know if regular Olympic Blue users have seen misfires recently. I have been loyal to the Eley brand for many years now, but the odd misfire is now starting to put doubt in my mind about the production process at the manufacturing plant. (and yes my firing pins are ok)

Stew

No misfires to report on Olympic Blues although I too have noticed  a fair few shells being a tight fit in the chambers and have told the supplying gunsmiths. What gun do you use ? Not wanting to turn this into a gun fault thread but in my experience Beretta's seem to be able to digest a wider variety of shells without suffering misfires. 

A friend of mine has had a couple recently - Beretta auto.

I know this topic has been talked to death in the past.

When Eley stopped making the Olympic Trap and changed to the Olympic Blue a few people reported the odd misfire or maybe the odd manufacturing fault. For example a poor crimp or the cartridge was tight when pushed into the chamber.

The problems seemed to disappear for a while until now in my opinion. What I am asking to fellow shooters that have been using Olympic Blues lately, have you had misfires?                                 I have had 3 misfires out of the last 400 shells I have shot, all from different boxes. A friend of mine had 3 misfires on one round at Gunsite last week. We have sourced our shells from different suppliers so it is not one batch we are both using.

Please don't turn this question into a topic about different manufacturers and who makes the best shells. I just want to know if regular Olympic Blue users have seen misfires recently. I have been loyal to the Eley brand for many years now, but the odd misfire is now starting to put doubt in my mind about the production process at the manufacturing plant. (and yes my firing pins are ok)

Stew
what gun?

Browning 725, 2 years old. Seen misfires on top and bottom chambers.

I am seriously being swayed to Hull Jez. Either sporting 100 or the DTL 300, both 1400 fps.

Can't get anything by Hull round here for under £200/1000 though.
The Pro-ones are a cracking load. 

Depends on your budget. 

Nothing wrong with Superfasts. 

Never had any real issues with Olympic blues, misfire wise or being dirty? what ever that may be.

But as you know I recently chanced on some cheap Bornaghi sport...and as there is a local supplier I will be changing to them.

Personally I found the original Olympic cartridge better than the Olympic blue in terms of  pattern and barrel residue. Tried a few different brands there after but switched to Rio! for long term sporting use. Probably the best value cartridge on the market at the moment though are Jockers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot hull sporting 100 today at FSP. They are SO smooth. Perfect for my rubbish mount that ends up on my arm. ?

Just got through a thousand Olympic Blues, no misfires or dodgy crimps. Clean crisp cartridge that does the job at a reasonable price.

"Personally I found the original Olympic cartridge better than the Olympic blue in terms of  pattern and barrel residue" wouldn't it be nice if they left some things alone.i thoughtb they were great and cheap also ;)

without `investigating` the manufacturing process of cartridges by different brands recently,, the process of making primers is quite a story. apart from being THE  very most dangerous part of manufacture, they are only made by a very few companies,  a big one is cheddite, i know winchester and CCI make them, (but winchesterare no good for reloads as they are a thou` or so small, and loose! ,)   the point is they make millions/billions of them,, stamped out of plated sheet steel,and they are supplied to a lot of cartridge companies, along with propellants, which is also only made by a few companies.

there is apparently an odd problem with sheet thickness, and steel hardness,, etc, no idea of the full story, but it leads to a few primers being `hard`, so not denting enough. also each cup has a tiny bit of content, sometimes the machine misses,, or the anvil is not fitted, falls out, or a multitude of problems with such mass production !

bound to be a odd ` duff`en` ! 

Most misfires are due to low primers, place a steel rule over the case and you will see .

It's due to the primer being seated too deep in manufacturing which makes the cartridge head concave 

Latest posts

Back