Do You Blog?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Salmon

As above really, does anyone on here blog?

I've started one to follow my shooting development, but I know there are blogs for everything! If anyone does, I'd love to check them out, love reading about peoples experiences! 

No I don't although I have always like the idea of doing a blog.  I am  just not disciplined enough to blog regularly about anything.

I can't imagine anyone would GAF about whatever it is that I might be doing.  I suppose that a blog could fulfill some ego driven quest for immortality but then the whole of social media is in that hunt as well.  

Or maybe I'm just too lazy to bother.

Ooops - nap time

I was going to but I don't think reading every Sunday evening " went shooting today hit some and missed some" is going to be that interesting.

I just use my copy of 'Pull' in my blog ! It hangs from a string on the back of the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to but I don't think reading every Sunday evening " went shooting today hit some and missed some" is going to be that interesting.
I came home from a shoot recently and my wife said, "You shot most of the hard stuff well but there were about 4 misses on the easy stuff, which was stupid". I said, wow were you there? No she replied, but you've said that every shoot for the past 8 years..

A beginners journey might be interesting to another beginner I guess.

I'll give two examples of why I'd never do a blog.

My mother was a county standard golfer and quite besotted with the game.  Unfortunately she could never ever see that not everyone shared her passion.  I think her shot by shot replay of whole rounds of golf and what her opposing player did put me off the game for life!

There is a target shooter that I know who will recall how he shot a particular card in one competition during the whole small-bore week at Bisley back in the 1960's which resulted in a crap score then and he's still no better nowadays!

What's gone is gone and of no interest unless its a small nugget that you can use yourself at some point in  the future!

In target shooting it is recommended that you keep a diary.  You record the mistakes you know you made and how you coped well with particularly bad conditions and what did not work.  Weather on the day, scores on the day, food & drink consumed, state of mind, nerves etc.  You use it privately yourself to remind yourself of what might work in the prevailing conditions on the day, any change in sight settings, filters etc.  With a good history you can begin to determine what works best for you and add the odd point to your score.  It is probably a good idea if you are close to the top of your sport but I just like to get on and shoot so have never ever kept one!  Life's too short and I spent too long keeping records and writing stuff at work!

In motorsport, you use a set-up sheet for the day, recording every setting in the car etc. The better teams also do a set-down sheet, where you note all the changes and improvements that you either made during the event, or would make for next time. I have sometimes done similar in shooting; writing an account of each stand and what I feel needed changing. It does make you think if you document it.

Just because you write and publish something doesn't mean anyone has to read it. I used to blog and a lot of it was about shooting. It wasn't to everyone's taste, but I had some people who told me they enjoyed what I wrote. I didn't write a lot of technical stuff though. Mostly it was a mildly humorous recounting of all the mistakes I had made and the interactions I had with people. If you write stuff for yourself you will probably end up finding an audience who really likes your work, even if it's a very small audience.

Latest posts

Back