CPSA British Open at EJC Swinton

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a note to anybody who will be looking for a hotel . The Black Swan at Fearby  is a nice country pub , with a modern annexe of hotel rooms , has rental cottages , a camp site and accommodates motor homes and caravans . Pretty much all the options you could need .  It’s very convenient for EJC . I’ve had lunch there a few times after shooting , nice food, friendly staff 
Thanks Martyn  :thumbsup:

You all need to stop quoting round trip miles.... Living in the North East, it's a welcome change as every major competition is a huge round trip.

You all need to stop quoting round trip miles.... Living in the North East, it's a welcome change as every major competition is a huge round trip.
Why? It's the number one excuse, in the shooters "Excuses why I didn't shoot that shoot" excuse book. Goes hand in hand with the "Why I missed, and shot crap" book. 😂

Shooting it tomorrow. Looks a good  round going by the scores. Sitting in a lovely pub about 5 miles from the ground enjoying a nice meal and a pint or two.

I shot the sportrap yesterday morning. Nice set of courses that set off relatively simple and got harder as they went through. Layout 3 had some stiffer birds on it and the 4th had a huge looper. Dave Woolly's 98 will take some beating. All placed in a very nice setting with traps hidden away, I came away with an 89 which I was pretty chuffed with. All in all I thought it was a very good sportrap.

Shot the esp in the afternoon and the wheels came off a bit then. Again a lovely setting, all in trees and up banks, very similar to Grimsthorpe or Hodnet. Targets were all very fair, nothing outrageously difficult but plenty at a fair distance or to trip you up. Just lost my focus too many times dropping 1' & 2's here and there with a calamity on stand 3 dropping 6 that destroyed my card early on to finish on 89 ex 120. Realistically I was a good 10 or more light as to where I should have been. Only complaints I heard were about a rabbit jumping a bit on stand 6. Monster driven on stand 14, not something you get at a standard registered these days.

All in all I think it will be regarded as a very good shoot and a success for the ground, reffing was all good, good trade Village, toilets and bins dotted about. Well done to Swinton.

Really enjoyable sporting and sportrap layouts. All credit to the target setters for getting the balance spot on. My favourite comp of this year having been to most of the sporting and sportrap championships. A few days in  Yorkshire with some decent beer what’s not to like!

Really enjoyable sporting and sportrap layouts. All credit to the target setters for getting the balance spot on. My favourite comp of this year having been to most of the sporting and sportrap championships. A few days in  Yorkshire with some decent beer what’s not to like!
All the targets where set by James Peckham 

•  

Really ? I'll bet Tom Jones of WMSG Hodnet will be surprised to hear that .

•  

Really ? I'll bet Tom Jones of WMSG Hodnet will be surprised to hear that .

It was set by them both. I think it's been a fantastic event and a great course. I shot badly for my class but still enjoyed both days. 

The performances of Faulds, Digweed etc have been amazing. The super final tonight will be something special.

A great advert for Swinton and clay shooting in the north. I hope they host many more championships in the years to come.

PM.

So after 4 days of 120 bird qualifiers, a 75 bird finals day, and a 25 bird super final, the person with the lowest score across all 3 is the British ESP champion. What a farcical format it is for the British shooting flagship event. But that's the rules so fair play to the winner. 😮

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done brody 👏👏👏👏simply awsome shooting ,non off the usual suspects topped his final 75 score then he went on to win in the last 25 against some amazing shots.

tip top ,bobby george(dart p!ayer) always said "scorings for show doubles for dough"  you dont need to win the qualification but you need to finish the finals. With 1000 entrys and a junior winning it shows something is being done well.

Well done brody 👏👏👏👏simply awsome shooting ,non off the usual suspects topped his final 75 score then he went on to win in the last 25 against some amazing shots.

tip top ,bobby george(dart p!ayer) always said "scorings for show doubles for dough"  you dont need to win the qualification but you need to finish the finals. With 1000 entrys and a junior winning it shows something is being done well.
I don't disagree with you that the youngster has shot well on finals day. I just think it is a bad format, and should be a first past the post event. If it was he would have been joint 105th.😮. 75 bird finals for the British championships for class and category, what's that all about. Less targets than a normal registered. But like I said, that's the rules, so fair play to him, and all the other winners.

No system is perfect. If it had poured down and blown a gale all four days but the HG caught a window in the weather, would that be a fair result?

Perhaps it highlights it more this year with the weather being fairly consistent over the whole competition.

Apparently Brody was straight until the last stand today on a very tough course. Hats off for a great performance on the day.

PM. 

From what I'm lead to believe the argument about the weather is part of the reason it was changed to this format. So what happens on a day that it blows a gale and lashes down from 9-12, then from 12 'til the end of the day it clears and is near perfect shooting conditions, where does the fairness come for that day? The great British weather will always be pot luck. Some of the better scores at the English this year were put in, in atrocious conditions.

As for the qualification, I would rather see the top 8-10 guns from each class go through, rather than people shooting lower scores and making the finals through category.

I don't disagree with you that the youngster has shot well on finals day. I just think it is a bad format, and should be a first past the post event. If it was he would have been joint 105th.😮. 75 bird finals for the British championships for class and category, what's that all about. Less targets than a normal registered. But like I said, that's the rules, so fair play to him, and all the other winners.
But a shoot over 4 days can result in very different conditions each day. You qualify against all the shooters who shot on the same day as you did. Then all shooter return to shoot on the same day with the greatest chance of the conditions being equal.

But a shoot over 4 days can result in very different conditions each day. You qualify against all the shooters who shot on the same day as you did. Then all shooter return to shoot on the same day with the greatest chance of the conditions being equal.
With all due respect the great British weather can change by the hour. It's a bit of pot luck, just the same as qualifying by category, depends who turns up on your day. 

With all due respect the great British weather can change by the hour. It's a bit of pot luck, just the same as qualifying by category, depends who turns up on your day. 
Like I said, the greatest chance of it being the same. 

Is winning on pot luck a better option?

Back