County Championships

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicola,

surely a simple piece of admin.....

CPSA levies due go to them. 

Region levies due got to them.

county levies due go to them.

Every shooter who books in declares there county and region (and is checked by CPSA number) - if they are attending their respective regional / county event - then the levies are applied above. If they are not - delete as appropriate - not too difficult surely?
Not if they are all at the same event you cannot.....how much extra do you think it would cost the shooter doing what you say..?

At one event you would have several counties, inter county and English or British......???

Nicola - no idea but cannot imagine its a huge amount?

Think our county charges £1 levy, Region £2 so i have added three pounds to the price of the shoot on top of what it would be anyway (as the CPSA still gets their "championship levy".

Not for ONE MINUTE suggesting that shooters pay all county levies to everyone - just the ones that apply to them and their region / county.

Take the upcoming EO SKD for example....

currently £37 entry so by adding in the regional SKD and the county championship SKD it becomes - £40 - seems reasonably straight forward to me. 

End of the day it was just an idea - if its too complicated / too expensive / no-one wants to change anything / there is no interest then it gets lost in the wilderness on here. The issue was raised that there seemed to be a lack of entries at county championships - i offered an idea as a solution - somebody might read it and think - yeah lets give that a try - some might think i am talking twaddle again.

Actually makes little / no difference to me because i will still shoot the shoots i want to / am free to and skip the others. Maybe that is the real issue - people are choosing to do other things be that "bigger shoots less often" or "just shooting a few rounds with mates" and county championships are getting lost in the middle ground?

my county STR was this last weekend - 8 entries - sad but true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually like the idea of having a super region/county comp. More shooters means more in the prize pot making it more attractive to those that feel they can get a score so probably a bigger entry because of that anyway.

As for the extra cost, even a tenner in levies is offset by only having to travel once for county, region inter county (if you are in the team) and/or a minor championship. Spend a tenner in levies to save over a ton in extra diesel, shells, and entries? Where do I sign? 

I did not say it was a bad idea I said it would hurt the bottom of the food chain......the counties and their levies.

I am amazed that no one actually understands 'how' the levies come to the county and from where (it is not just their own county shooters).....or understand just how important levies are to each county.....whether they are small or not.

Phew..... and I am hoping people will read the Articles........!

We really are wasting our time and effort being involved in running counties and regions when reading the end of this thread.

Best to jack them all in and then leave whatever body that ends up taking us all over.....to deal with it. And if they cannot be bothered to do anything county wise....because they are only interested in the Olympics......then 'don't cry to me Watford......the truth is we never left you.....all through your darker days.....your mad existence......we kept our promise....you kept your distance.....' :laugh:

And .....when there are no county events....because no one can be arsed to run them......where do you bring on your up and coming stars.....where they win trophies at all ages ...to encourage them into the sport........ 'Registered shoots'.....? Where they win nothing...... I Don't Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink Sooooooooooooo. :laugh:

I actually like the idea of having a super region/county comp. More shooters means more in the prize pot making it more attractive to those that feel they can get a score so probably a bigger entry because of that anyway.

As for the extra cost, even a tenner in levies is offset by only having to travel once for county, region inter county (if you are in the team) and/or a minor championship. Spend a tenner in levies to save over a ton in extra diesel, shells, and entries? Where do I sign? 

Hahahaha yeah right....... :laugh:

I can hear the complaining now :laugh:

Why? 1 comp to decide them all instead of 3 = much less money spent :) I would have imagined that would appeal :)

"it is not just their own county shooters"  I have shot quite a few of other peoples county champs and have only once or twice that I can remember been charged their county levy.  Perhaps its the grounds that should be informed where the county levies should come from?

For those who clearly do not know.......

One levy is charged on a shoot.

It is charged to all shooters at that shoot on the day whether from the county or not.

It is then split between the counties present holding the championships.

So 100 shooters x £2 = £200

If there is only 1 county (even if it only has 10 members there) it gets the £200.

If there are 2 counties there they get £100 each

If there is 5 there they get £40.

Simples. That is how it works in the SE.

No doubt someone from another region will say it is different :tut:

i would love to have a go at the trap disciplines and if good enough shoot for my county but shooting a semi auto I am banned from the trap grounds so yet another barrier to particiapation
I don't think autos are banned David,well not as far as I know. Ok a lot of trapies are anti autos and that is true,however that should not stop you from giving it a try!

I don't think autos are banned David,well not as far as I know. Ok a lot of trapies are anti autos and that is true,however that should not stop you from giving it a try!
I did try Les, I answered the invitiation that Peter Wilosn sent out to all shooters through the CPSA to have a go at trap, I emailed the guy at CPSA running it and asked if he would find out if there was a ground that didnt object to a semi auto being shot for trap. Not one ground was interested saying if any one ofthe shooters alongisde me objected then I would have to leave the shoot.

They were not keen anyway regardless of objections.

On another note I apologise for my personal comments made to you during my Semi auto defence/rant they were not only unecessary but gross bad manners on my part, whilst I still firmly hold my opinions as you do yours I should not have made such remarks.

There are obviously reasons why shooters don't turn up for County championships, has anyone thought to ask the members why they do not turn up? We can all speculate the reasons but the only way to find out is ask.

I appreciate that it is a thankless task but is it possible for county committees to canvas the shooters of the discipline by visiting grounds that regularly hold shoots in that discipline and conduct a consumer survey to ask the shooters why they don't attend county shoots, then analyse the results, take on board the comments and either do something about it if within their remit or pass up to Region for their action.

I did try Les, I answered the invitiation that Peter Wilosn sent out to all shooters through the CPSA to have a go at trap, I emailed the guy at CPSA running it and asked if he would find out if there was a ground that didnt object to a semi auto being shot for trap. Not one ground was interested saying if any one ofthe shooters alongisde me objected then I would have to leave the shoot.

On another note I apologise for my personal comments made to you during my Semi auto defence/rant they were not only unecessary but gross bad manners on my part, whilst I still firmly hold my opinions as you do yours I should not have made such remarks.
David I should not have taken things so far and I appologise! Anyway if you ever get down this way and want to try a bit of trap just let me know and I will shoot it with you!!

As an example of the "sharing" shot a FITASC county championship today, I'm Glos, it was doubled up with Hereford & Worcs ( both in same -West Midlands region) and attracted shooters from other counties including a lady ( sorry cant remember name ) from the Wirral, it was a two day event at a large enough but not too large a ground and as good as sold out.

Would like to think every county tries to maintain competitions in every discipline even if 1 shooter wants to compete, if one gets dropped what's the likelihood of that ever starting again, and whose to say what's " unpopular " now won't have an upsurge in a few years?

What semi auto are you shooting David?

There are obviously reasons why shooters don't turn up for County championships, has anyone thought to ask the members why they do not turn up? We can all speculate the reasons but the only way to find out is ask.

I appreciate that it is a thankless task but is it possible for county committees to canvas the shooters of the discipline by visiting grounds that regularly hold shoots in that discipline and conduct a consumer survey to ask the shooters why they don't attend county shoots, then analyse the results, take on board the comments and either do something about it if within their remit or pass up to Region for their action.
We have done that on Berkshire. We paid CPSA HQ to send out a letter to all our membership, because we do not know who they all are....(thanks Data protection). We printed off about 700 letters and spent the night in the pub putting them into envelopes....then I drove 1.5 hours to HQ to deliver them and they put all the address labels on (which of course we could not see) and they posted them....(we paid for it on the county). The letter asked all our shooters to send us their contact details....an email or a contact number (we did not need addresses if they did not want to give them)....we explained that it was so that we could build up a contact list to inform them what was going on in the county......if they replied it entered them in to an Email High Gun draw for £250.

All that money for just a contact number...! 

Replies..........99 people.

I also asked on this form...what disciplines they shot, if they did registered comps and if not why not..... Most replied...not good enough....or did not want the pressure of competitions.

Many other counties have done similar things to 'get to know who their members are'...........without much success.

3 weeks ago.....I emailed all our list of Berkshire shooters....... to invite them to the UT county championships yesterday at the beautiful Owls Lodge....... 5 of us turned up...!

Skeet was moved to Fareham because the skeet shooters said they wanted it there.....how many of them turned up ....0 of the ones that wanted it there....and only 4 in total.

OSK....1 person. 

County shooting is dying and quite frankly 'we' on the committees really do have better things to do with our time like enjoying 'our' shooting.......but we trundle on trying to encourage participation.

I will be readdressing my involvement after the EGM......to vote on the national articles.....if it ever takes place....!

Last edited:
We have done that on Berkshire. We paid CPSA HQ to send out a letter to all our membership, because we do not know who they all are....(thanks Data protection). We printed off about 700 letters and spent the night in the pub putting them into envelopes....then I drove 1.5 hours to HQ to deliver them and they put all the address labels on (which of course we could not see) and they posted them....(we paid for it on the county). The letter asked all our shooters to send us their contact details....an email or a contact number (we did not need addresses if they did not want to give them)....we explained that it was so that we could build up a contact list to inform them what was going on in the county......if they replied it entered them in to an Email High Gun draw for £250.

All that money for just a contact number...! 

Replies..........99 people.

I also asked on this form...what disciplines they shot, if they did registered comps and if not why not..... Most replied...not good enough....or did not want the pressure of competitions.

Many other counties have done similar things to 'get to know who their members are'...........without much success.

3 weeks ago.....I emailed all our list of Berkshire shooters....... to invite them to the UT county championships yesterday at the beautiful Owls Lodge....... 5 of us turned up...!

Skeet was moved to Fareham because the skeet shooters said they wanted it there.....how many of them turned up ....0 of the ones that wanted it there....and only 4 in total.

OSK....1 person. 

County shooting is dying and quite frankly 'we' on the committees really do have better things to do with our time like enjoying 'our' shooting.......but we trundle on trying to encourage participation.

I will be readdressing my involvement after the EGM......to vote on the national articles.....if it ever takes place....!
Nicola, my apologies, in all the years I have been shooting I have never been asked for my opinion on any shooting matter so was not aware of your previous efforts. It would appear that no matter how much effort is made shooters just want to go shooting.

Latest posts

Back