Adjustable Combs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjaseng

Hi All,

Certificate finally landed yesterday, so looking forward to laying my hands on a gun (due to budget constraints it's going to be s/h). I hear a lot about gun fit being talked about when choosing a gun, I was just wondering, does having an adjustable comb negate the need for the gun to fit you? i.e. can guns with an adjustable comb be more or less made to fit most average sized individuals (I'm 5'8")? The reason I ask is I've seen an adjustable in a nearby shop that ticks all the boxes, so I was thinking as long as it looks ok in the flesh is it worth going for if? Due to my budget I'm sure there's a few guns that will fit me and meet my specs but it'll probably mean visiting several different gun shops dependent on their s/h stock, and just wondering if getting an adjustable might save me the hassle?

Hi All,

Certificate finally landed yesterday, so looking forward to laying my hands on a gun (due to budget constraints it's going to be s/h). I hear a lot about gun fit being talked about when choosing a gun, I was just wondering, does having an adjustable comb negate the need for the gun to fit you? i.e. can guns with an adjustable comb be more or less made to fit most average sized individuals (I'm 5'8")? The reason I ask is I've seen an adjustable in a nearby shop that ticks all the boxes, so I was thinking as long as it looks ok in the flesh is it worth going for if? Due to my budget I'm sure there's a few guns that will fit me and meet my specs but it'll probably mean visiting several different gun shops dependent on their s/h stock, and just wondering if getting an adjustable might save me the hassle?
There is much more to gun fit than comb position, but as long as the gun isn’t obviously too short or too long, then the comb is most of it. I’m a big fan of adjustable combs for various reasons, so go for it I say. 

As should always be explained to beginners, the biggest gun fit issue will be the shooter at first as nobody holds the gun properly initially. Your whole stance and body balance will be off for a while, plus how you actually hold the thing. It’s worth getting some instruction in how to start properly or this can remain for too long or forever. But no gun will fit properly if you’re stood and holding wrongly. So while an adjustable comb is great, it may well need moving as you go along and address the gun better. 

i recommend learning a good technique mounting the gun , and a adj comb is a must in my book , for up , down comb height , cast on , cast off .   its a great asset  !!    

Back