Cost of Registered Shoots

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithers

After coming back into the sport following family commitments and financies allowing I am finding myself thinking of going back to just competing at local club shoots for my fix of blasting a few clays, I have been concerned for some while regards costs and possibly the effect it may have on our brilliant sport, ie when does enjoyment become to expensive to actually enjoy ?? Now some attended 100 Registered events have increased entry fees, some have decreased payouts to cover 'costs' when approached ? This all being maybe the knife slowly turning !! I no cost of clays haven't gone up in fact reduced due to transport costs etc, fuel has dropped massively & costs to many things have dropped, people's wages have not increased so why the increase ? ... This is my thoughts only as I can see the sport sooner or later suffering as a result, and believe what was a enjoyable sport could become a money making excercise and break the donkeys back !!!!???

there are things to consider here,,  overheads,in no order of importance are, land availability,rental, capitol cost of 30 or so machine at average £1500.. replaced every few years,  referee wages, clubhouse upkeep, grounds improvements,all sorts of costs. also , grounds are run for a profit usually,  not  as a benefit  to the shooter, like a true club is.

but i agree that costs go up without justification sometimes,  if a ground do the job well, ill pay a bit more, if its the same old rubbish weeks on end , vote with your feet.or pay up?

there are things to consider here,,  overheads,in no order of importance are, land availability,rental, capitol cost of 30 or so machine at average £1500.. replaced every few years,  referee wages, clubhouse upkeep, grounds improvements,all sorts of costs. also , grounds are run for a profit usually,  not  as a benefit  to the shooter, like a true club is.

but i agree that costs go up without justification sometimes,  if a ground do the job well, ill pay a bit more, if its the same old rubbish weeks on end , vote with your feet.or pay up?
I agree Jim. Most people are simply not aware of what it costs to run a commercial ground. It's far more than just the cost of clays, there are so many other things that go into the mix as we know.

When I look back at the shoots I have done in the last period, the numbers attending are very healthy at a variety of shoots up and down the country.

But there could be many more there if we can bring people up from the local shoots. Most of these I speak to won't take the plunge because they see the cost as prohibitive.

The cost is very high for reg comps especialy if you want to do well because your competing against people who can do 2 or 3 comps a week and afford a top practical and even a psychological coach asswell. I have nothing against anyone who is hard working or lucky enough to be able to do that,but i gues those that cant afford or just want to have fun and fluffy rabbits with there mates are probably better off at the smaller non reg grounds.

Personally i fall into the cant afford category so pick only a few big comps and practice as cheaply as i can afford to.

Grounds need to make money to be open and the bigger the comp the more it is going to cost to run them well,there seems to be plenty of folk with money to shoot them,so those that can will and those that cant will do shoot what they can

When you do a registered shoot you're not paying to break clays, you're paying for the quality of course you get to shoot. It's an experience. If you don't value that experience enough to pay for it then you aren't the target market. Market forces will out. 

I don't think there is much difference between the price of a reg shoot and a 100 practice clays, You go birds only and it can even be cheaper, and you learn hell of a lot more shooting a reg shoot with good targets, also you get used to shooting in the competition environment.

I have never given it much thought it is what it is.(Not because I am particularly loaded you understand) I don't know how much it is to go and watch chavball but I bet it ain't cheap by the time you have bought a pint and a pie. Even a meal out for you and the wife is hundred quid easy.

If my wife ever found out what I have ACTUALLY spent on my shooting these many years, she would have a dicky fit, and come to think of it so would I

depends on the grounds that you visit , we have put our prices up recently mainly due to re investment on the grounds for shooters to enjoy a better experience when they attend , eg £20,000 on westfield clubhouse , 22 new traps at £2100 each to be able to open windrush regularly, rent increase on land at two of our venues , £5000 on a new mobile tower , etc etc .

when we started in 2004 we bought clays at £19 per 1000 now some are paying £60 per 1000 , a supersport trap was £900 now as said above £2100 so personnally as a competitor i think £40 for a morning or afternoon aint bad value , we took our boys to the cinema to watch james Bond and for all 4 of us plus a few snacks was around £100 , nothing aint cheap anymore .

please dont be fooled into thinking that because this is your hobby and pass time that grounds should do it for nothing because in this day and age that will kill clay shooting quicker than anything , things in the clay world are moving forward at a fair rate of knots so best get on board and enjoy .

`i can only agree with you Steve,,certainly nothing go`s down in price, and upgrading any facility is necessary, be it a cinema, car, or shooting ground.    :rolleyes:

Money dictates a number of sports to the degree of how often you can participate or spend on equipment bit of a fact of life on that one .

But I have noticed that grounds prices vary quite a bit for a registered shoot by as much as £3 per head and an extra stand as well.

Not actually arguing about the price of shoot more curious about the difference for the same product.

Steves post has probably answered my post I feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having opened up at Podimore in September (though it seems like I have been there forever...) I can honestly say I have been amazed at how much money I have spent on the place. As well as the big expenses like traps and a new toilet block (£3K) there is a never ending list of things to buy... even silly things like waterproof bags for remotes @ £23 a piece all add up... 

Chuck in monthly rent and other bits and pieces like 200 meters of grass reinforcing matting and other sundries and i find I spend much of my spare time either on ebay or signing for deliveries.....  As the replies above its not just clays you are paying for, and as people become more choosey they want and expect a decent infrastructure which costs money....

The ONLY certainty in a business is the list of outgoing expenses.. To set up a decent shooting ground from scratch looks like £200k+ when I do the quick numbers in my head, not including buying the land.

Last edited by a moderator:
`i can only agree with you Steve,,certainly nothing go`s down in price, and upgrading any facility is necessary, be it a cinema, car, or shooting ground.    :rolleyes:
I'm not getting at anybody far from it we are lucky to have the people willing to put on reg comps. But Jim have you bought any fuel lately. :wink:

I don't agree that lower prices would necessarily bring in more punters. It's not a direct relationship.

I did the premiere leauge shoot at Bisley earlier this year. Over 300 people joined in. It was all the ground could stand if you ask me. Queues on stands and a long wait following a breakdown. The number of people you can practically get round a 100 reg sporting without a fight breaking out is probably around the 3 or 400 before it just bogs down. That is of course ignoring the fact that 500 shooters are going to make 50000 loud bangs over the course of a day, You'd have to have very tolerant neighbours to put up with that on an ongoing basis! Remember you'll need parking for as many as perhaps 200 cars at a time too! So if you can't cram more people through ......... the same number of people have to carry the overheads.

( OTOH I did Polowood two weekends ago and there were fewer than 10 shooters using 25 traps over 3 compaq layouts. An absolute pleasure as a shooter but not economical at all even though their prices were comparable to anything else in the SouthEast.)

Not seen many clay shoot organisers riding bikes or running £500 motors ,they day they charge £40 around here will be the day registered shooting dies .They should do away with birds only and high gun prize and keep it in the classes  

150 shooters @ £35 each               £5250

15 trappers @ £50                            £750

16000 clays @ £60 per 1000             £960 

score cards ancillaries                        £50 

total £1760

£5250 - £1760 = £3490 gross profit 

if you don't like the heat get out of the fire ,it's as expensive as it needs to be 

before you all harp on about rent you should buy your own land as in the end you have something to see for your money and can use it more than one day a fortnight 

You can easily kill the goose that lays the golden egg !

Latest posts

Back